Wheelosaurus was a robot which competed in Series 2 and 4 of Robot Wars, getting to the Heat Arena Semi-Final and Round 2 of its Heat respectively.
Peter Gibson, one of only a few one-person teams to compete in Robot Wars, often affectionately referred to Wheelosaurus by the name Grunge-Bot.
- "In designing his robot Wheelosaurus, Peter Gibson wanted to move away from the wedge and box shapes beloved by so many roboteers. Despite their success, he felt that there were far too many of them. Using this strategy he ended up with one of the most original designs seen in the Wars. His primary concern was that his robot wouldn't fall over, which renders the majority of machines utterly helpless. Peter decided to opt for very large wheels, mounted on either side of a basic mild steel pole chassis. This gave the main body of his robot an almost spherical profile, dominated by the two large wheels, which are actually salvaged from an old Victorian pushchair"
- — The Robot Wars Technical Manual on Wheelosaurus
Wheelosaurus was built from two large Victorian Pramwheels. It was made predominantly from recycled parts- its chassis was scavenged from a scaffolding pod and featured a gyro-stabiliser from a helicopter, enabling it to spin and turn quickly, whilst its wheels were protected with aluminium dustbin lids. The wheels also featured spikes on them for protection.
Wheelosaurus was an axlebot, a type of robot where the body and weapon were built directly around the wheel axle. Wheelosaurus was the very first type of axlebot seen in Robot Wars, but one of few not to feature a torque reaction style weapon system.
In Series 2, its only weaponry was a set of spikes on the end of a pole, but when it was entered into Series 4, it was armed with a spinning blade powered by a strimmer engine, which had interchangeable blades; a cutter with three blades, a circular saw, and one with four points.
Wheelosaurus tackled the middle route of the Gauntlet and after getting through the barrels and over the see-saw it got pinned by Sergeant Bash. While flailing around it managed to knock off Bash's flamethrower, which caused an evacuation of the building.
It did however achieve 11.7m, placing it fourth and qualifying for the Trial. The next round was Tug of War, in which Wheelosaurus managed to survive 18.11 seconds, after some wheel spinning at the start to the end with Dead Metal almost toying with it. It again finished fourth, so went through to the arena.In the arena it met the 6th seeds Chaos. At the start of the battle, it was pushed into the PPZ where Seregant Bash attacked with the flamethrower, and Matilda went for the wheels with her chainsaw. Wheelosaurus was then pushed into the corner against the angle grinders, and was pinned in by both Shunt and Matilda, Shunt getting in multiple blows with the axe. Cease was called, and Wheelosaurus was eliminated.
- "This is the machine which took the bash out of the Sergeant in Series 2, puncturing its gas cylinder. The pram wheels are spiked. The main weapon normally used for cutting wood. Wouldn't it be nice for Bash to get revenge?"
- — Jonathan Pearce
After being absent from the Third Wars, Wheelosaurus returned for the Fourth Wars. Wheelosaurus was placed in Heat H of the main competition, here, it was drawn up against Prizephita Mk 2 and the number 15 seed Wheely Big Cheese. In the battle, Wheelosaurus was immediately flipped twice by Prizephita Mk 2, as Wheely Big Cheese went straight into the CPZ to attack Sir Killalot. Wheelosaurus then span around the arena before carelessly driving into the arena side wall, getting stuck. Wheelosaurus eventually came off the arena side wall, but was immediately attacked by house robot Dead Metal. Wheelosaurus was dragged away, but then tried to use its weapon on the half-immobile Prizephita Mk 2, along with Shunt. The pit of oblivion descended, with all three competitors being pitted by the house robots, Wheelosaurus going in last. A judges' decision followed, and Wheelosaurus and the seeded Wheely Big Cheese were put through to the next round of the heat.
In the second round, Wheelosaurus were drawn up against the number 32 seeds Suicidal Tendencies, although before the fight began, Peter Gibson admitted that the robot was in a very bad way and was unlikely to be able to do anything.
- "Peter, you are totally to blame for it. Peter, it's your fault. Peter, move the thing."
- — Jonathan Pearce at the start of Wheelosaurus' second battle
After activate was called, Wheelosaurus failed to move, and was pushed around the arena by Suicidal Tendencies. Petrol then began to leak from the back of the robot, and as it was pushed onto the flame pit, it fell on its side and the petrol strimmer motor caught fire, and Wheelosaurus was deemed immobilised. Cease was eventually called, eliminating Wheelosaurus from the competition.
|WHEELOSAURUS - RESULTS|
|The Second Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Arena Semi-Final
|Heat B, Gauntlet||11.7m (4th)||Qualified|
|Heat B, Trial (Tug of War)||18.11 seconds (4th)||Qualified|
|Heat B, Semi-Final||vs. Chaos (6)||Lost|
|The Fourth Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 2
|Heat H, Eliminator||vs. Prizephita Mk 2, Wheely Big Cheese (15)||Qualified|
|Heat H, Semi-Final||vs. Suicidal Tendencies 2 (32)||Lost|
- Wins: 1
- Losses: 2
NOTE: Wheelosaurus's successful Gauntlet and Trial runs are not included
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Heat, Arena Semi-Final|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Heat, Round 2|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
Peter Gibson also entered Techno Games, competing in the Internal Combustion Sprint event of 2001 with Sprint Fish, which failed to complete its run after falling over. It was beaten by Miss Struts and Ulysses.
- At 100 years old, the Pram wheels on Wheelosaurus were the oldest components ever used in Robot Wars.
- Wheelosaurus fought a seed in every battle it fought in.
- Two out of those three battles were head-to-heads with the lowest seed in that series, which it lost.
- Peter Gibson was originally a member of the Whirling Dervish team, before leaving to enter his own robot. Despite this, he was stll credited on the stat board for Whirling Dervish.
- He also joined Peter Bignall for Inverterbrat's Pinball run in Series 4.
- Most Original Entry - Robot Wars: The Second Wars