Wharthog was, at the time, a middleweight robot that competed in Series 1 and 2 of Robot Wars. It was eliminated in the Gauntlet stage in Series 1, and competed in the Middleweight Championship in Series 2, losing to Hard Cheese there.
Wharthog's name was based on the animal warthog.
- "Mellow yellow, driven by an electric twenty-four watt wheelchair control unit. Has a huge turning circle of two metres and a ground clearance of only 5mm, I hope that'll be enough!"
- — Jonathan Pearce assesses Wharthog
Wharthog was a yellow, triangular wedge-shaped robot powered by an electric 24W wheelchair control unit. Its weapons were a pair of angled spikes designed to resemble the tusks of a warthog, which in tandem with its front wedge served as the robot's primary means of attack. While the robot had reasonable speed and a low ground clearance, Wharthog suffered from a large turning circle of two metres, which contributed towards its early elimination in Series 1.
- "...I don't think speed of Concorde's going to help you here!"
- — Jonathan Pearce after Wharthog impales itself through the railings
Wharthog participated in Heat E of the First Wars. It hesitated at the start of its Gauntlet run, driving cautiously off the turntable and heading for the left-hand route. However, Wharthog drove straight through the railings, bending its front wedge and one of its spikes as it impaled itself there.
- Jeremy Clarkson: "So how many months worth of work was that?"
- Oliver Browne: "I don't want to talk to you."
- Jeremy Clarkson: "I reckon about two months to go two yards."
- Oliver Browne: "No comment."
- Jeremy Clarkson: "You don't look desperately happy."
- Oliver Browne: "It's 'cause I'm not!"
- — The post-run interview
The team were noticeably unhappy following this run, with Nick Browne leaving the control booth as soon as time ran out, and Oliver refusing to speak to Jeremy Clarkson in the post-run interview. Wharthog had travelled a distance of 3.92m, exactly one metre less than Torque of the Devil, and was eliminated from the First Wars.
- "...and I was wrong, the Torque of the Devil's performance IS good enough, Wharthog now worried."
- — Jonathan Pearce after Wharthog's result is confirmed
Wharthog, unchanged from its appearance in the First Wars, later appeared in the Series 2 Middleweight Championship. It fought Hard Cheese and Doodlebug in this battle, which was partially broadcast as part of the end-of-series Grudge Match special. After it and Hard Cheese immobilised Doodlebug after a couple of hits, Wharthog was constantly chased, pushed and scooped up by Hard Cheese, being blocked by the immobilised Doodlebug as it tried to turn away. Wharthog lost mobility after being attacked by Hard Cheese a few more times, with Hard Cheese being declared the first ever Middleweight Champion.
|WHARTHOG - RESULTS|
|The First Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat E, Gauntlet||3.92m (6th)||Eliminated|
|Middleweight Championship||vs. Hard Cheese, Doodlebug||Lost|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
NOTE: Wharthog's Gauntlet elimination is not considered a loss
|The First Wars||Heat, Gauntlet|
|The Second Wars||Middleweight Championship|
|The Third Wars||Entered with Crusher|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Failed to qualify with Cruncher|
|The Seventh Wars||Failed to qualify with Cruncher 2|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
- Wharthog was the only middleweight robot from Series 1 to compete in any other successive series.
- Wharthog was the only robot in Series 1 to come from Bedfordshire.
- Although classed as a middleweight for Series 1 and 2, Wharthog would technically be classified as a lightweight under modern robot combat rules.