- Philippa Forrester: "We've established that you've got the smaller weapon"
- Roger Golder: "Well it's not the size, it's the way it's used"
- — The Ultor team prior to their battle with Bumblebot
Ultor was a competitor robot that fought exclusively in Series 3 of Robot Wars. It reached the Heat Final in its only series appearance, which it won against Big Brother on a judges' decision, putting it through to the Semi-Finals. However, the Ultor team overruled the decision, instead approaching Team Big Brother and offering them the Semi-Final place, due to their work commitments. This act gained Ultor a nomination for the Sportsmanship award at the end of the series, but it lost out to Diotoir.
As a result of its post-battle forfeit, and not returning for any later series of Robot Wars, Ultor is one of the very few robots never to have lost a battle.
The robot's name is derived from the Latin word for "Avenger".
- "Galvanised aluminium and steel gives protection, this father-and-son robot is powered by lawnmower motors, plans to hack opponents with an axe, then send them to the cobbles, teeth first, with the flipper"
- — Jonathan Pearce describes Ultor
Ultor was a green and white dome-wedge shaped robot. It featured a galvanised aluminium and steel chassis with a fibreglass top and featured two weapons - a piercing spiked axe and a rear lifter, a weapon combination later used by The Steel Avenger.
Ultor's first match was against Flipper. Both robots tried to get in position to use their axe on the other, and it was Ultor who managed to get the first successful strike. It didn't penetrate Flipper's shell, but it was enough; Flipper had been rendered immobile before soon being set upon and turned over by the House Robots. Ultor however, attacked Matilda, but was flipped by the arena spike that hid beneath the floor and struck.
- "Ultor is turned up and over! Oh dear, what a dark way to end this!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Ultor is flipped
In the next fight, Ultor would face Bumblebot. It got underneath Bumblebot, and attacked it with its axe. Bumblebot tried to retaliate with its very long axe, but missed. Ultor pushed Bumblebot into the CPZ where Dead Metal sliced off its axe. Ultor pushed the now weaponless Bumblebot into Sir Killalot, who finished it off by pushing it into the pit.
In the Heat Final, Ultor's opponent was Big Brother. Its axe got tangled up with Big Brother's flail, and Ultor tried to pull Big Brother over, but couldn't. Big Brother pushed Ultor around the arena, hitting it with its flail until it fell off. Big Brother then got underneath Ultor and nearly flipped it, but Ultor got away, and retaliated with its axe. Ultor was nearly flipped again when it drove onto the arena spike, but it survived, and the match came down to a judges' decision, which was in favour of Ultor. However, the Golders could not continue filming and claimed that the decision was wrong, so they conceded the match, and their place in the Semi-finals, to Big Brother.
- "We've decided that the judges decision was wrong, in our opinion, and we're allowing you to go on to the next round."
- — Barnaby Golder sacrifices Ultor's place
This act earned Ultor a nomination for the Sportsmanship Award. However, it lost out to Diotoir.
|ULTOR - RESULTS|
|The Third Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat D, Round 1||vs. Flipper||Won|
|Heat D, Round 2||vs. Bumblebot||Won|
|Heat D, Final||vs. Big Brother||Won|
|NOTE: Ultor later conceded its place in the Semi-Finals to Big Brother.|
- Wins: 3
- Losses: 0
|Series||Ultor Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Heat Final (Withdrew before Semi-Finals)|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
- Ultor is one of only two robots to fight in the UK main competition and remain undefeated, the other being Scar.
- Ultor is also the only robot ever in any version of Robot Wars to win its heat, yet never reach the Semi-finals.
- Strangely, in the video game Robot Wars: Metal Mayhem, Ultor is seen in an in-game screenshot on the back of the box, but does not appear in the actual game. The reason for this is unknown, but it may have been cut from the game during production.
- ↑ https://www.reddit.com/r/robotwars/comments/7ayq0f/ask_ian_watts_the_swarm_anything/dpdwerl/?context=3
- Sportsmanship Award - Robot Wars: The Third Wars