- For the Series 6 robot of a similar name, see Tridentate.
- "Axe no questions. Tell you no lies. At twenty miles an hour this robot flies! Deadly too! The shell's too shiny to be true! Tri-denting it Matilda!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Trident was a robot that competed exclusively in Series 3 of Robot Wars. It reached the Semi-Finals in its first and only series, losing to eventual champions Chaos 2. Like several other Series 3 Semi-Finalists, Trident did not return outside of its debut series.
Trident was an unusually-designed robot, with a chassis made out of a modified stair climber and a stainless steel bodyshell resembling a postbox. Its weapon was an electric-powered axe that was capable of inflicting considerable damage to other robots, while its six front wheels were arranged in a pair of triangular-shaped mountings, similar to Series 2 competitor Tantrum. Trident also had a top speed of 20mph, and took 250 hours to build.
Trident made its debut in Heat P, fighting Twn Trwn in the first round. Twn Trwn was at an instant disadvantage after its battering ram was removed to keep the robot within the weight limit, and Trident instantly immobilised it with an axe blow that also damaged its fibreglass shell. Trident rammed Twn Trwn a few more times, before allowing the House Robots to attack it.
In Round 2, Trident was drawn against veterans Victor 2.
- "Well we're a bit worried about damaging their lovely, shiny bodywork, and we did say we'd put feather dusters on the ends, but we decided against it."
- — Confidence from Victor 2
Trident started as the more potent machine, striking Victor 2's top several times with its axe, as its opponent failed to get its spinning flail into effect. A front-on shove stopped Victor 2's flail, before Trident axed its top panel two more times and Victor 2 drove into Sergeant Bash's CPZ. Victor 2 escaped, only for Trident to strike its flail and cause it to momentarily stop working. Trident closed in as Victor 2 spun, and after a few moments where it pushed and axed it, Victor 2 spun near the edge of the pit, eventually dropping one of its wheels over the edge. Trident seized its opportunity, and pushed Victor 2 into the pit.
Through to the Heat Final, Trident faced another veteran, this time former Series 1-2 competitor Dreadnaut. Trident again axed Dreadnaut's shell several times with the axe, although not causing any damage to begin with. The two robots came together again, where it became apparent that Dreadnaut was suffering from control problems as Trident's axe finally began piercing through its armour. Trident pushed Dreadnaut, who rolled towards the arena wall and appeared to be immobilised. Dead Metal nudged Dreadnaut away, before he and Shunt began attacking Trident, causing severe damage to its stainless steel body. Matilda and Sir Killalot soon joined in, but Trident still emerged victorious regardless.
- "Trident went into the final full of "Dread", but "nought" came of its opponent, then though, fun for us; you're all shiny, we want to see our faces in it..."
- — Jonathan Pearce on Trident's run to the Semi-Finals
|TRIDENT - RESULTS|
|The Third Wars - UK Championship|
Semi-Finals, Round 1
|Heat P, Round 1||vs. Twn Trwn||Won|
|Heat P, Round 2||vs. Victor 2||Won|
|Heat P, Final||vs. Dreadnaut||Won|
|Semi-Final 1, Round 1||vs. Chaos 2||Lost|
- Wins: 3
- Losses: 1
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Semi-Finals, Round 1|
|The Fourth Wars||Withdrew|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
- Tridentate, the Series 6 entrant of a similar name, attempted to qualify for Series 5 under the name Trident, unrelated to this robot.
- Coincidentally, Tridentate was from the same county, West Yorkshire.
- Trident was one of two Series 3 Semi-Finalists to be seeded for Series 4, only to withdraw from the competition and have another robot become seeded in its place. The other was Blade (which was due to enter Series 4 as Blade's Big Bruva).