- "Morbid name, hopes very much alive and kicking... The undertaking of the Morgue boys? To cause "grave" problems for the House Robots!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
The Morgue was the general name for a series of five Welsh robots that competed across three UK series of Robot Wars and two series of Robot Wars Extreme. Although taking a variety of weapons and sizes, the robots generally shared the same basic design; a yellow barrel shape, enabling it to self-right by rolling over.
The Morgue debuted in The Fourth Wars under its original name and was defeated in Round 1 against Firestorm 2. It was later reinstated after Scar withdrew and reached the Heat Final where it lost a controversial judges' decision to Firestorm 2 after the latter fell into the pit whilst pushing The Morgue in.
Following Series 4, the team vacillated between Mini Morg and Mega Morg, with two models of each robot. The original Mega Morg fought exclusively in Extreme 1 events, whilst the original Mini Morg was the team's entrant into The Fifth Wars, where despite its high seeding, it lost in Round 1 to Kat 3. An upgraded Mini Morg failed to qualify for Series 6 and fought in Extreme 2 in a Tag Team Partnership with X-Terminator, but the pair lost in the second round. Finally, returning to the name Mega Morg for The Seventh Wars, Mega Morg lost in the second round to Robochicken.
Away from the show, the team capitalise the robot's name as Mega MORG. "MORG" is an acronym for Metal Organisms.
Versions of The MorgueEdit
- "It's like a large self-righting tortoise!"
- — Craig Charles
The first incarnation, known as The Morgue, competed in the Fourth Wars. It was entered by Morriston Comprehensive School and supported by Morganite Electrical Carbons Ltd. It featured a shunt-and-lifting system with forks powered by an actuator used in adjustable orthopaedic beds and protected by 3mm aluminium checker plate, which could lift 150kg. It had a rollover kevlar and fibreglass shell, and two motors from a Scania truck. The kevlar for the shell was donated by Kerton Plastics. The base was polycarbonate, and the chassis was made from mild steel.The robot took 9 months to build, at a cost of £1600, £800 of which was donated.. The robot had to be rebuilt over nine days after being damaged at an event it attended before the qualifiers.
- "There was substantial damage to our Robot at the Morganite Event, not by PA but our driver hit a wall! Therefore a number of changes were made to the original design ... Changes were made to the weapon, seen below, also the front end, base, chassis and motor mountings. Failsafe devices were also fitted to the system, and a new method of controlling the weapon was developed using 4 SPDT limit switches."
- — The Morgue Pages of the Morriston Comprehensive School website,
Originally an A-Level project by Year 13 student Steven Bowen, school rules stated that The Morgue was to remain stored after competing on Robot Wars.
Mega Morg (Extreme 1)Edit
- "The second of the three Morg robots and the largest of them all. It probably took the longest time to build. It has the most powerful weapon- a flipper. The grim reaper sign remains on its back to ward of evil robots. The robot has a double aerial on the outside, instead of in, the weakness is that it could be cut and can lose its signal. It uses brand new hydraulics and state-of-the-art batteries."
- — The team's website
The Morgue's spare parts were largely salvaged for the newly built machine Mega Morg for the first series of Extreme. The weight increase allowed the team to improve its weapon from an electric spiked lifter to a pneumatic large spiked lifting plate, but was not very quick at only 10 mph. It featured a picture of Anne Robinson on its front, in the hope that it would be destroyed - apparently, the team disliked her attitude towards Welshmen. This was the last usage of this large chassis before dismantling, although the yellow shell would be on display in Dorian Caudy's classroom until well into 2004.
- "The Mini Morg has been constructed in light of the deficiencies encountered with Mega Morg's characteristic sluggishness. The same motors provide the drive but, now 200mm wheels are used to transmit the drive to the floor."
- — The team's website
The team started to build a new titanium shelled robot Mini Morg for Series 5, in which the robot was seeded 19th. Although downsized significantly, this machine was 2 kilos heavier than its predecessor, presumably due to the steel chassis. It retained the picture of Anne Robinson, but had it set beneath the black lifting bar weapon. Mini Morg also had a rear axe weapon, based off Shunt's design, although Jonathan Pearce mistakenly stated it had two axes. An unforeseen lack of traction meant the machine could not push forward on wet floor, and it fell in Round 1 to Kat 3.
For Series 6, Mini Morg was improved, with a slightly modified titanium shell on a new aluminium chassis, and the black lifting bar was changed to a titanium flipping shovel. Mini Morg failed to qualify for Series 6 after losing its qualifier, but returned for Extreme 2, attempting a second try for the Tag Team Terror title, this time paired with X-Terminator. For Extreme 2, the axe on the rear of the machine was replaced with a vertical spinning disc.
Mega Morg (Series 7)Edit
- "A CO2 powered flipper, 24 volt 10 kilo disc, modified skid-steer, 4 wheel drive, titanium body & weapon, custom-made actuators, and looks "mega" to me!"
- — Jonathan Pearce describes the Series 7 Mega Morg
When entering Series 7, the team chose to return to the name Mega Morg. It was the smallest robot of the lineage when measured in any dimension, and featured skid-steering. Mega Morg upgraded The Morgue's drive train with the original Mega Morg's wheels, modified Mini Morg's titanium shell and utilised Mini Morg's CO2 flipper and small 10 kg, now horizontal, spinning disc, powered by a 24V motor and both also built out of titanium. It also contained custom-made actuators.
- "It was during a competition in the University competing in Micro Mouse. At the competition, Panic Attack was at the display and Steven Bowen, a year 12 student doing Design and Technology expressed an interest making a robot for Series 4. Panic Attack then came to the school and Kim Davis and showed his robot, winner of Series 2 to the pupils of our school. Hence, from that moment onwards, 'the seed had been planted'. If we knew then what we know now, we would have stuck with Micro Mouse!!!"
- — Dorian Caudy on the origins of The Morgue
The team captain was Dorian Caudy, who was joined by Mark Hooper in all the team's appearances. Both of them worked in the Design and Technology Department of Morriston Comprehensive School, with Dorian Claudy being the Head of Technology there. Mark Hooper drove the robots, and Dorian operated the weapons. Steven Bowen, the student originally behind The Morgue, was supposed to be part of the team for the Series 4 qualifiers, but was unable to attend due to being busy with his A Levels.
In Series 4 and Extreme 1, the team were joined by Huw White, who was an employee at Morganite Electrical Carbons Ltd, who sponsored the team. In Series 5, Dylan Jenkins joined the team. Dylan was an apprentice fitter and turner from Morganite Electrical Carbons Ltd. After Series 5, the team only consisted of Caudy and Cooper.
The team's name, "The Four Horsemen", is a reference to the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, the four bringers of the end of the world in the New Testament of the Bible.
From Extreme 1 onwards the team would have a flock of inflatable sheep which they called "Ninja Sheep", these would be the teams mascot and one would usually go into the arena with the robot, but they always got dislodged from the robot, punctured or melted.
- "They were instant success, because during Robot Wars Extreme, and Robot Wars Series 5, 25 sheep in all went missing!!! So roboteers throughout Britain had a liking for blow-up sheep. One was actually sighted in Julia Reed's dressing room!"
- — Mark Hooper on the plastic sheep.
The team also brought along inflatable plastic daffodils.
The Morgue made its debut at the Robot Wars Live Event, where the Series 4 qualifiers were held. Its opponent was Venom. The Morgue drove straight at Venom, which unsuccessfully tried to flip its opponent. The Morgue got its lifter under Venom, but Venom reversed before getting its flipper under The Morgue's lifter, flipping it up and breaking one of the fixing bolts and one of the spikes. Despite this, The Morgue rammed Venom, causing it to break down. The Morgue then rammed one of Venom's tires, causing it to deflate. With victory assured, it pushed its lifeless opponent towards the pit, before Shunt finished Venom off by pushing it into the pit.
- "The Morgue was victorious and the team screamed with delight. The crowd from Swansea cheered with delight, Wales had come to England and won. The presenter asked the questions and all was well, until Huw claimed we wanted to fight 'Sir Killalot', thankfully there was no time to take the challenge."
- — The Morgue website
This performance resulted in The Morgue qualifying for Series 4.
Despite reaching the Heat Final in Series 4, the team still had to go through the qualifiers for Series 5, because not all of the seeds had been decided at that stage - only the Semi-finalists were guaranteed a place in the series. Mini Morg made its first appearance at the Cardiff leg of the Robot Wars tour, albeit in unpainted titanium with a yellow Grim Reaper logo. It fought Kronic 2 and lost, but still qualified and was given the 19th seed.
Mini Morg attempted to qualify for The Sixth Wars, where it fought Behemoth and Supernova. Both Mini Morg and Supernova broke down during the qualifier and Behemoth pushed both robots out of the arena.
Mega Morg returned for Series 7, and qualified, but the circumstances of how it did so are currently unknown.
- "Boys never grow up, their toys just get more dangerous."
- — The team motto
- "...the guys who told me their two tactics were; "1) Run away", and "2) Hide in the pits"!"
- — Julia Reed on The Morgue's team
The Morgue started by driving at the seeded robot, but Firestorm 2 was much faster, charging at Scar, getting under it and pushing it towards the top arena wall. Firestorm flipped Scar, then turned away, and The Morgue got its lifting device underneath Firestorm as it turned, and pushed it back. Firestorm was able to reverse off the lifting device, and tried to get under The Morgue, but The Morgue span on the spot. Unable to get the flipper under it, Firestorm pushed The Morgue, whilst Scar came back, hitting The Morgue with its disc. However, the disc did no damage, with Scar merely bouncing off, and The Morgue reversed away from Firestorm, pushing Scar back as it did. Firestorm backed off a little for another attack, this time getting under Scar, ramming it across the arena and flipping it again. Firestorm drove in circles around Scar, whilst The Morgue stood back. The Morgue closed in, pinning Firestorm against Scar. It pushed Firestorm back, but Firestorm was able to turn itself off The Morgue's lifter. The Morgue re-positioned itself, and tried to push Firestorm, but Firestorm turned, and The Morgue nearly charged into Shunt's CPZ. It managed to stop itself and reverse away in time, whereas Firestorm drove straight into the CPZ whilst driving after The Morgue, crashing into the wall. Firestorm managed to escape quickly, and charged at Scar, getting under, ramming and overturning it again. Firestorm pushed Scar a little more, before turning on The Morgue. This time, Firestorm pushed The Morgue to the arena wall, then flipped, leaving The Morgue unable to roll over back to its wheels.
- "You can see no future for The Morgue. A grave position for them."
- — Jonathan Pearce
With The Morgue immobile, Firestorm continued to fight Scar, pushing it into the upturned Morgue. Sir Killalot grabbed The Morgue and dragged it, still upside down, onto the flame pit. As Firestorm flipped Scar against the wall, Sir Killalot span around with The Morgue. However, this allowed it to roll back onto its wheels, and it quickly reversed away, and managed to get its lifter under Firestorm just before cease was called.
- "No, you can't zombie-like rise from of the pit!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as The Morgue escapes and attacks again
However, The Morgue had been immobile for too long, and it was eliminated.
- "We had our roll system, which rolled up against the fence unfortunately, we always that was going to be our weakest point, but he couldn't flip us, we've got a really good, low centre of gravity, we're gutted that we're out, we're absolutely gutted! And you can see we could drive off right at the end there, so it's obviously working, we're unlucky on this occasion, and we're going to come back for a grudge match and he's going to be having it, I tell you!"
- — Dorian Caudy after the battle
However, Scar had suffered irreperable technical problems meaning that The Morgue was reinstated in their place and met Ming 2 in the second round.
- "The Morgue back from the dead!"
- — Dorian Caudy on being reinstated
The Morgue started slowly, as Ming 2 drove down the arena, before charging at its opponent. However, on impact, The Morgue got under Ming 2, and pushed it back. Ming 2 fell off the front of The Morgue by the flame pit, and whilst The Morgue re-positioned for another attack, Ming 2 twisted one way and another. The Morgue drove at Ming 2, but drove over the front of its wedge straight onto the flame pit, which it quickly reversed off of. Ming 2 pushed The Morgue across the arena, but The Morgue was able to turn away. The Morgue tried to get away, but stopped for a moment, allowing Ming to get under it and flip it, but The Morgue rolled over.
- "For a moment then, I thought Ming 2 would be the pallbearer of The Morgue"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Ming got under the front of The Morgue and pushed it towards Dead Metal. It flipped The Morgue up, but The Morgue landed on its wheels and pushed back. Ming reversed, and The Morgue escaped. Both machines turned, and charged head-on at each other, and The Morgue got the spikes of its lifting device stuck in Ming's wedge front and lifted it up a little.
- "Look at this! That's a real power battle, there."
- — Jonathan Pearce as The Morgue spikes Ming 2
However, Ming was still able to push The Morgue, pushing it into Matilda. Matilda pushed The Morgue away from the CPZ as the pit opened, causing the two robots to get free of each other. Ming pushed The Morgue some more, briefly getting under it, but failing to flip it because of the angle The Morgue was at on top. Ming pushed The Morgue into Dead Metal's CPZ, but it escaped before the House Robot could attack.
- "Will The Morgue boys be taken away from Robot Wars in a hearse? Hmm, they're ok but only just! Certainly Ming 2, I think, on top."
- — Jonathan Pearce
The Morgue got side-on against Ming, and pushed it towards the arena side wall, and it became apparent that Ming had broken down. The House Robots attacked and pitted Ming 2, and The Morgue was through to the Heat Final.
- Craig Charles: "Do you think you can go further?"
- Dorian Caudy: "Oh absolutely! I mean, we're chuffed, we're so excited to be here, the Morriston Comprehensive School down there in the corner as well, we're just so happy to be here. Anything we do from now on in, it's a bonus for us."
- — Post-battle interview
In the Heat Final, The Morgue fought Firestorm 2 again.
- "We lent them our screwdriver last time, and we're hoping now they'll let us win this time!"
- — Dorian Caudy, after Craig Charles told them they would be up against Firestorm during the post-Round 2 interview
Firestorm 2 chased The Morgue around the arena, eventually getting under it and flipping it up, but not over. Firestorm 2 soon got under again and tipped up The Morgue, but failed to flip it again . The Morgue then drove its opponent towards Dead Metal, but Firestorm 2 turned away in time. Firestorm 2 continued to probe away at The Morgue's sides, and after another incomplete flip, Firestorm 2 was able to flip The Morgue into Matilda's CPZ.
- "That was a power spurt, and The Morgue literally flew through the air and into the CPZ."
- — Jonathan Pearce
The Morgue rolled onto its wheels again and escaped, but after a head on collision between the two, Firestorm 2 got underneath again and flipped it over, but The Morgue rolled over again. Firestorm 2 tipped The Morgue up again before pushing it into the arena wall, but when it tried flipping it could not get it over. The Morgue escaped and pushed Firestorm 2 into the arena wall, but it escaped, and the action drifted towards the pit.
- "Oh, look, the pit starts to descend, and they're dangerously close now, The Morgue, and they went down! No, Firestorm's driven in! Were the wedged on? They think they've won it, The Morgue!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
The pit descended and Firestorm 2 pushed The Morgue towards it. The Morgue reversed onto the edge and appeared to get wedged on the top with its lifting forks, but Firestorm 2 turned round backwards and fell in underneath it. The Morgue team celebrated, thinking they had won, but the judges controversially ruled that The Morgue was stuck over the pit and therefore immobilised first and Firestorm 2 was declared the winner, though the crowd disagreed.
- "What the judges have said, is the pit was activated and Morgue went into it first, and although it wasn't immobilised for thirty seconds, they say Firestorm was winning on points up to that point anyway. So they've given it - to Firestorm!"
- — Craig Charles relates the judges decision to a crestfallen Dorian Caudy and team
Firestorm 2 was through to the Semi-Finals, and The Morgue was eliminated.
- "Well looking down there Craig, there's one in the pit and there's one out of the pit!"
- — Mark Hooper
- "We're coming to your town, we know where you live!"
- — Dorian Caudy during the team's introduction for Extreme 1
Mega Morg's main contribution was in the Tag Team Terror competition, partnering with Diotoir. Dr Zulu of Team Nemesis jokingly claimed the two teams joined up when the Mega Morg team tried to smuggle a load of inflatable sheep into Ireland.
- "Zulu, Peter and Joe (Diòtòir team) were great fun, on set and off. We had plenty of practice of having fun off set with them."
- — Mark Hooper, on the team's website
- "Reign? Rain doesn't bother us, it doesn't rust!"
- — Mark Hooper, asked how he felt about fighting the reigning champions
Mega Morg started against 101. Both robots drove at each other, but 101 swerved away when it got close to Mega Morg. 101 tried to get at Mega Morg's side, but Mega Morg drove away. Both robots turned around, and charged straight at each other. 101's spike fired at Mega Morg, but the two struggled to push their opponent back, until Mega Morg gained a little momentum to push 101 back, and flicked it up with its lifter. 101 tagged its partner, and Mega Morg followed suit. King B pushed Diotoir towards the arena wall, by Mega Morg's CPZ. Mega Morg came out, pushed King B and tried to flip it, but King B reversed away to avoid the flipper.
- "Be prepared for mayhem here, absolute confusion. I'm sure that it'll all just break down into an utter rumble"
- — Jonathan Pearce foreshadows the inevitable
Diotoir and King B fought each other again, and after a bit of fighting, Diotoir pushed King B back towards Mega Morg's CPZ, but Sergeant Bash suddenly came out of his CPZ and attacked Diotoir with his flamethrower, slowly igniting the fur. Mega Morg tried to defend its partner, but the two Celtic robots seemed to be having difficulty actually tagging each other.
- "Why is Diotoir taking the punishment here, and why is Mega Morg not coming out?"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Eventually, Mega Morg was able to come out of its CPZ and rammed into 101. Barely seconds later, all four robots joined in the battle. Mega Morg was pushed into the arena wall by King B, whilst 101 did the same with the now burning Diotoir. The two changed their targets and 101 pushed Mega Morg, but Diotoir managed to pin King B against the top arena wall. King B was able to escape, but then started spinning around on the spot. 101 pursued Mega Morg towards the far arena wall, which allowed Diotoir to get underneath it and flip it over. As soon as 101 landed on its back, however, it became apparent that only one of its tracks was working. King B Powerworks, meanwhile, had driven into the CPZ and was still spinning wildly on the spot, apparently having lost all control. Diotoir pushed it around, and amidst the spinning. Time ran out and the judges made the decision. The judges went for Diotoir and Mega Morg.
- "I'd just like to say that we are the world champions now. We've stopped the whole tournament because we've beaten you lot [King B Powerworks and 101], we are the world champions!"
- — Dorian Caudy
However, the elation quickly faded for the Mega Morg team. They had only brought three speed controllers, and Mega Morg had burned out one in each of its Extreme battles. Mega Morg was forced to withdraw, and Pussycat was brought in as a substitute for the remainder of the Tag Team Terror, which they went on to win.
- "As far as I know, we were omitted from the trophy once Pussycat came in. But of course, neither would have won if we weren't there to help beat the World Champions"
- — Mark Hooper on the team's website
The two battles in which Mega Morg burnt out its speed controllers were in the Vengeance category. Mega Morg was challenged to two Vengeance battles, firstly against Ming 3. Team Ming wanted vengeance after the Mega Morg team's victory against Ming 2 in the Fourth Wars, and inflamed the situation by calling the win a "default".
- ""Hurt" is an understatement, it's almost as bad as being called English!"
- — Dorian Caudy on how they felt about Team Ming's comments
At the start, Mega Morg charged at Ming 3, but Ming 3 turned away, and after escaping to the bottom of the arena, turned around and drove around Mega Morg. Ming 3 quickly got under the side of Mega Morg, and crushed through the shell.
- "And look at this! The "Razer" just cutting straight through Mega Morg's shell!"
- — Jonathan Pearce, having just noted Ming's similarities to Razer
Ming continued to puncture the same spot on Mega Morg, trying to make the wound deeper, before eventually attempting an attack on another part of the body. However, it failed to pierce and reversed, allowing Mega Morg to escape. Mega Morg's lifting spikes seemed to have jammed upwards as the two drove around the arena, before it collided with Ming side-on. The crusher-wielding robot seemed to stop momentarily, but got moving again a few seconds later.
Ming attempted to crush Mega Morg after getting under its corner, but only managed to wedge it off the ground, being at the wrong angle to crush its opponent. After more dodging, Mega Morg drove beside the arena wall beside the pit and CPZ. When Ming came in, Mega Morg attempted to flip Ming, but missed, however it was able to use its spikes to force Ming into the CPZ as Sir Killalot came in. However, instead of attacking Ming, Sir Killalot pushed Mega Morg into the pit release button, its rear spike tearing it off the wall. Mega Morg was now stuck on its side and Sir Killalot took hold of its front and attempted to pull it away, nearly falling forwards in doing so. He eventually managed to pull Mega Morg away from the wall and nearly dropped it into the pit. Dead Metal, who was reclaiming the pit release tyre, nearly drove in too second later.
After dragging it to another CPZ, Sir Killalot released Mega Morg and it charged at Ming once again. Mega Morg attempted to flip Ming, but the flipper missed. However, Ming had stopped moving again. Mega Morg's flipper did not close properly, but it was still able to push Ming a couple of times. Mega Morg tried to get its flipper under Ming's wheel, but missed another flip, and its opponent started moving after a couple of pushed. Ming drove away and wedged under Mega Morg once more, but drove at the wrong angle, so failed to get Mega Morg under the crusher. By now Sir Killalot and Dead Metal had entered the battle fully. Sir Killalot pushed Ming to separate it from Mega Morg, and Dead Metal cane in behind it and cut into it with its saw. As Dead Metal let Ming go, Sir Killalot was trying unsuccessfully to cut through the side of Mega Morg. Dead Metal came in to push Mega Morg from the other side, and after briefly being stuck between the two House Robots, Mega Morg reversed, then managed to push Dead Metal back a little just before Cease was called. The judges were called upon and they ruled in favour of Ming 3. After the battle, Mega Morg captain Dorian Caudy attempted to justify Mega Morg's performance by stating that they let Ming win deliberately to be "fair". Unsurprisingly, nobody believed his claims.
- "It's nice to see that Razer has been welded to the top of Ming 2!"
- — Mark Hooper
Mega Morg also fought Plunderbird 5 to determine which team were the best singers, after the Mega Morg team implied they were superior singers as they were from "The land of song" (Wales).
- "You can't sing! You can't dance! We don't like yellow, and we don't like you!"
- — Mike Onslow's warning to Mega Morg
Plunderbird started faster, but after driving towards Mega Morg as its opponent closed in, it turned away, onlly to turn back, then got it under the front of Mega Morg. Plunderbird pushed Mega Morg, but Mega Morg reversed. Plunderbird drove off for another attack, and Mega Morg tried to get under its opponent, only for Plunderbird to drive off the lifter, and ram into Mega Morg's side, but it was unable to crush into its opponent's side due to its awkward shape.
- "At the moment, it's not dramatic"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Mega Morg reversed, and Plunderbird attacked the front of its opponent. Plunderbird pushed back, but Mega Morg used its lifter to lift Plunderbird off the ground by its claw, and drove it around the arena a bit. After quite a while, it finally dropped Plunderbird, and the International Wreck Crew's machine started to ram it tentatively side on. Just then, Sergeant Bash, apparently bored by the lack of action, came out of his CPZ and fired his flamethrower at Mega Morg, deflating its Ninja Sheep mascot.
- "Baa, Baa, Burnt Sheep!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Plunderbird continued to push Mega Morg around, with its claw actually making some small dents, although nothing more than that. Mega Morg's lifter completely missed its opponent, before Shunt, who was also 'bored', came out of his CPZ and axed Mega Morg right on the melted Ninja Sheep. Refbot issued Shunt with a yellow card, but the house robot seemed to take little notice; in fact, it appeared to be stuck on Mega Morg, and his attempts at freeing himself nearly pulled him over on a few occasions.
After a little help from Refbot and Plunderbird, Shunt managed to free himself, with Plunderbird managing to get its claw between the front panel and body of Mega Morg. It continued to push it around as time ran out, and the judges had to make a decision on the decidedly boring fight.
- "For a vengeance battle, that was just pushing and shoving and calling names. I'd usually show you some highlights, but there weren't any."
- — Craig Charles
Plunderbird 5 was declared the winner.
- "Mega Morg had inherent control problems which where the result of having the battery leads too long."
- — Dorian Caudy on the team's website,
Mega Morg was also due to compete in the Mayhem qualifier for one of the two Annihilators. However, it was forced to withdraw due to its burnt-out speed controllers.
Mini Morg came into the Fifth Wars as the number 19 seed, mainly due to reaching the Heat Final of the previous series. In the first round of the Heat, Mini Morg was drawn up against Kat 3, the new machine from Team KaterKiller.
Mini Morg started by driving towards Kat 3, but Kat 3 drove past it and kept its distance. Mini Morg turned around to use its axe as Kat 3 turned to fight, but Kat 3 turned away when Mini Morg was in position. Kat 3 missed an axe blow, and appeared to stop as it brought the axe up. The axe did not correct properly, so it fired and became stuck in mid-swing. Kat 3 pursued Mini Morg, bumping into it, then turning away. Mini Morg reversed into Kat 3, and began firing its axe, but caused little damage. Kat 3 reversed for another charge, and Mini Morg began to look sluggish.
- "Kat 3 comes in to see if Mini Morg is "The Weakest Link"."
- — Jonathan Pearce makes reference to the picture of Anne Robinson on the front of the Mini Morg machine
Kat 3 pushed Mini Morg over a flame vent, but Mini Morg pushed back as it reversed, and Kat 3 retreated for another attack. Mini Morg reversed, but was moving very sluggishly. As Kat 3 tried to get its axe to fire again, Mini Morg reversed towards it. Kat 3 managed to swing the axe back into position, and as Mini Morg axed the front of Kat 3, Kat 3 was able to axe Mini Morg, though neither robot caused damage with their axe blows.
- "...doesn't look as if it can do a great deal of damage with that axe, looks like a ... woodpecker's beak, really!"
- — Jonathan Pearce on Mini Morg's axe
Kat 3 reversed for another charge, and pushed Mini Morg to the top arena wall. Sir Killalot came in and lifted Mini Morg a little, and Mini Morg managed to escape, moving much faster than before. It drove down to the other side of the arena, but Kat 3 pursued and rammed Mini Morg, then activated the pit and quickly pushed Mini Morg into it, eliminating the 19th seeds.
- "Mini Morg, sent to the grave with a toe tag on!"
- — Craig Charles
Mini Morg returned in Extreme 2 in the Tag Team Terror Competition. This time it was partnered with X-Terminator whom they had met at Junction 7 on the M5, according to Dorian Caudy.
- "They can drink as much as we can."
- — Mark Hooper when asked by Phillipa Forrester why they had teamed up with X-Terminator
X-Terminator started first against S.M.I.D.S.Y. Both robots fought in the centre of the arena, where S.M.I.D.S.Y. ran into X-Terminator broadside and shunted it towards the wall, but X-Terminator escaped and slammed the moving S.M.I.D.S.Y. with its axe, shoving it across the arena towards its partner. S.M.I.D.S.Y. manoeuvred and dragged X-Terminator to the side, bending the axe. S.M.I.D.S.Y. slipped into the CPZ, and Sumpthing came out. X-Terminator slammed Sumpthing into an angle grinder, but its axe was too small to strike the unusually shaped Sumpthing. X-Terminator released Sumpthing, who fled to the centre of the arena, whilst X-Terminator tagged Mini Morg.
- "Out flies the yellow peril that is the barrel chested Mini Morg!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
S.M.I.D.S.Y. rushed out of its CPZ and shunted Mini Morg broadside into X-Terminator, pinning both robots against each other. S.M.I.D.S.Y. relented, however, allowing Mini Morg to reposition itself and bring its disc into play. Both robots' spinning discs collided with a flash of sparks. S.M.I.D.S.Y. drove at the front of Mini Morg, but Mini Morg was too slow and S.M.I.D.S.Y. reversed away before it could flip. S.M.I.D.S.Y. then rammed the sidelined X-Terminator, who struck with its axe instead.
- "Down comes the axe of X-Terminator - shouldn't really have gone into the action there, because Mini Morg was the chosen robot out in the arena. But as I said, you can forget Queensbury rules - they do not apply!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Sumpthing came out of its CPZ without being tagged and axed Mini Morg. S.M.I.D.S.Y. reversed into the CPZ, quickly followed by Sumpthing, and both were trapped by Shunt, who axed Sumpthing. X-Terminator wedged under Mini Morg and pulled it away from the wall, and whilst S.M.I.D.S.Y. moved out for another offensive, Sumpthing was chased into a CPZ at the bottom of the arena by Dead Metal. S.M.I.D.S.Y. pinned Mini Morg against the wall, but X-Terminator axed it and pushed it away from Mini Morg, which unsuccessfully tried to flip S.M.I.D.S.Y.. The arrival of Sumpthing and its pursuers caused a distraction that scattered the robots, with Mini Morg returning to its CPZ and S.M.I.D.S.Y. activating the Disc of Doom. Sumpthing was cornered in a CPZ by Dead Metal, and when S.M.I.D.S.Y. came in, Shunt came in to corner both robots, axing S.M.I.D.S.Y.. X-Terminator was caught by Dead Metal whilst trying to attack S.M.I.D.S.Y., causing its axe to be bent even further out of shape. X-Terminator continued to attack S.M.I.D.S.Y., dragging it out of the CPZ with its scoop. Mini Morg came in, but was pushed a little by S.M.I.D.S.Y., then retreated. Sumpthing had broken down and was counted out during the last 10 seconds. Mini Morg managed to lift S.M.I.D.S.Y. a little in the last few seconds, before the fight went to a Judges' decision, but was in favour of X-Terminator and Mini Morg by default.
- "X-Terminator and Mini Morg, they get through, the Welsh have done it!"
- — Craig Charles after the battle
- Philippa Forrester: "Is it down to teamwork, or what's it down to?"
- Simon Baldwin: "The sheep!"
- Dorian Caudy: "Teamwork, sheep and a lot of technical expertise from Marlon."
- Philippa Forrester: "Right. Any on your team, technical expertise that is?"
- Simon Baldwin: "None whatsoever! I've got none and he's got even less!"
- — Pre-battle interview.
X-Terminator went out first again, whilst Hydra started for the other team. The two clashed together, and X-Terminator's axe slammed into Hydra's flipping arm. Hydra pushed X-Terminator back and flipped X-Terminator up onto its rear end. X-Terminator, balanced up on its end in Dead Metal's CPZ, was seized by the House Robot, whose pincers knocked the robot down. It sliced into its scoop with his saw, sending sparks flying as X-Terminator flailed its axe, trying to escape. X-Terminator managed to pull away and tag Mini Morg, who tried twice to flip Hydra, failing both times. After taking an axe blow from a passing X-Terminator, Hydra tagged Barbaric Response, which flipped Mini Morg. Mini Morg rolled over and tagged X-Terminator, who attacked Barbaric Response but it missed and axe blow, and the axe got stuck in the arena floor. Mini Morg darted out and knocked the axe free, and X-Terminator chased Barbaric Response across the arena. Barbaric Response slammed X-Terminator into a side wall, but was caught and attacked by Dead Metal. After escaping the house robot and an attack by X-Terminator, Barbaric Response tagged Hydra, who pursued X-Terminator into its CPZ and took on both partners.
- "Hydra's taking on both of them, and it's coming out on top, I'd say!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Shrugging off attacks, Hydra targeted and flipped Mini Morg twice, the second one almost managing to leave it on its back, but the skidding robot managed to gain enough momentum to roll back. Hydra dodged an attack by Mini Morg and pushed it into Growler's CPZ, where it flipped it into the house robot, negating most of its skid and leaving it on its back.
- "Mini Morg's crashed into a CPZ, and that is the kennel for that machine, mean, moody, magnificent - its Growler! Ooh, biting in on the tyres!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Growler slammed into it and grabbed it with its jaws, as Hydra flipped X-Terminator over. X-Terminator managed to self-right and opened the pit, as Growler pulled Mini Morg back and tossed it asides, causing to roll back onto its wheels and Refbot began to count it out. As Dead Metal sliced into Mini Morg, Barbaric Response and Hydra took turns battling X-Terminator, who continued to put up a fight even as Mini Morg was pitted by Growler. Time ran out, but as had been the case with X-Terminator and Mini Morg's first battle, the judges ruled by default in favour of the team with two surviving robots.
- "The power of the sheep let us down, didn't they?"
- — Marlon Pritchard after the battle
It was later discovered by the team when Growler rammed Mini Morg, the House Robot had managed to knock all of the receiver cables out.
- Mark Hooper: "It flips, it has a disc, and hopefully, it moves!"
- Dorian Caudy: "And it rolls over as well, if it gets flipped, it rolls over, and it looks yellow, dangerous, looks like a bee."
- — The team describe Mega Morg.
A more compact Mega Morg machine returned to the Seventh Wars. In the first round of the Heat, Mega Morg was drawn up against New Blood Heat Finalists Edge Hog, Spin Doctor and another yellow robot from Wales in the number 8 seeds Panic Attack.
- "Luckily, we were in a booth with the Mega Morg team, a friendly bunch, who were welsh, and yellow. Obviously we were going to work together, but they tried not to mention it at all in the programme."
- — Panic Attack Website
In the battle, all four robots started quite slowly, with Mega Morg cautiously approaching Spin Doctor as it began to spin up. Panic Attack was also closing in on Spin Doctor, and after an initial cautious approach, charged at it and almost flipped it over. Spin Doctor landed on its wheels, and fled, pursued by Panic Attack. Mega Morg reversed into Edge Hog and tried to use its disc, but Edge Hog was unaffected. Edge Hog fired its axe on the Welsh machine, but the first blow missed, and the next two bounced off. Mega Morg drove forwards, away from Edge Hog, before both robots charged at each other, causing them both to bounce into the air on impact. Meanwhile, Panic Attack had lifted Spin Doctor over and Spin Doctor rolled into the pit release button.
As Panic Attack drove up the arena, Mega Morg charged at it with its flipper raised, before reversing away. Mega Morg backed into Edge Hog. Edge Hog launched a number of axe attacks, but only landed a few on Mega Morg, none of which seemed to cause any damage. Mega Morg drove off and turned around for another attack, whilst Panic Attack tried to get its forks under Edge Hog, but Edge Hog drove around Panic Attack's side and axed it, but only managed to knock a light off. After being pushed by Mega Morg a little, Edge Hog chased after Panic Attack, missing a couple of axe blows. It drove at Mega Morg's front, but missed with the axe and Mega Morg flipped it up, before ramming it with the flipper raised, which knocked it down again. As Spin Doctor was counted out, Panic Attack got its forks under Edge Hog and lifted it up, carrying it around. Mega Morg bumped into the rear of Panic Attack a couple of times, causing it to drop Edge Hog. The two Welsh robots then lifted Edge Hog up together, and together, they pushed Edge Hog into the pit. It looked like the two Welsh machines were teaming up on Edge Hog and as Edge Hog attacked Panic Attack, Mega Morg got its flipper underneath Edge Hog and flipped it onto its back. Edge Hog managed to self-right with some help from Mega Morg. Spin Doctor was then counted out. Panic Attack then slid under Edge Hog and lifted it into the air. Then both Mega Morg and Panic Attack held Edge Hog in the air and pushed it into the pit of oblivion, putting the seeded Panic Attack and Mega Morg through to the next round of the heat.
- "...and the Welsh here are ganging up on Edge Hog. Mega Morg from Swansea and Panic Attack from Cardiff, they're scrumming down together, and Edge Hog out as a result - celebrations in the Welsh camps!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Edge Hog is pitted
Spin Doctor had been carried around by Mr Psycho, who dropped it onto Panic Attack, and it rolled of Panic Attack's top back onto its wheels, helped by Mr Psycho's claw as it tried to grab it. It tried to escape the House Robots, despite being counted out, but it found itself caught between Mr Psycho and Cassius Chrome, and Mega Morg got under it and rolled it over. Mr Psycho dumped Spin Doctor onto the floor flipper, where it was thrown before "Cease" was called.
- "The winners are the yellow robots!"
- — Craig Charles
In the second round of the heat, Mega Morg was drawn up against Robochicken, a robot with a similar amount of experience.
- "It's a bit of farm-yard battle, isn't it? Sheep against the chickens!"
- — Mark Hooper, looking at the surrounding rubber chickens and inflatable sheep before the fight with Robochicken in Series 7
In this battle, both robots initially dodged each other, trying to get in a good postion to use their weapons, but then Robochicken tried to flip Mega Morg, but missed. Mega Morg then pushed Robochicken towards the arena wall, but Robochicken turned itself off the flipper, so Mega Morg missed its flip and drove into the wall with the flipper raised, causing it to get stuck on the wall with its front end perched on top of the wall. However, it managed to free itself by closing and firing the flipper. Both robots rammed each other and Robochicken managed to flip Mega Morg into the air, but Mega Morg landed on its wheels. Robochicken then circled around the front of Mega Morg and got its flipper under Mega Morg's flipper and Robochicken flipped Mega Morg over.
- "Robochicken gets the full thrust of the flip, Mega Morg is over, can they self-right? This is gonna be a problem for them. Robochicken I think has won it here."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Due to the fact that it was flipped at its front and not its side, Mega Morg's semi-circle shape (designed to roll the robot over back onto its wheels) couldn't be used to self-right. Robochicken then ground into the shell of Mega Morg with its saw, then activated the pit release as Mega Morg was counted out and put on the Drop Zone, where a washing machine fell on it. Sergeant Bash then pushed Mega Morg into the destroyed washing machine, which then fell into the pit. Cease was called with the defeated Mega Morg on the edge of the pit.
- "We brought the self-righter, which is a "self-raising flower" ... but it didn't work!"
- — Mark Hooper on their inflatable daffodil
|THE MORGUE - RESULTS|
|The Fourth Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat C, Eliminator||vs. Firestorm 2 (5), Scar||Eliminated|
|NOTE: After the battle, Scar was forced to drop out and The Morgue was reinstated|
|Heat C, Semi-Final||vs. Ming 2||Won|
|Heat C, Final||vs. Firestorm 2 (5)||Lost|
|MEGA MORG - RESULTS|
|Extreme Series 1|
|Tag Team Terror|
|Round 1||vs. 101 & King B Powerworks||Won|
|NOTE: Mega Morg broke down after this battle. Pussycat replaced it as Diotoir's partner|
|Vengance||vs. Plunderbird 5||Lost|
|Vengance||vs. Ming 3||Lost|
|MINI MORG - RESULTS|
|The Fifth Wars - UK Championship|
19th Seed, Heat, Round 1
|Heat J, Eliminator||vs. Kat 3||Lost|
|Extreme Series 2|
|Tag Team Terror|
Competing with X-Terminator, Semi-Finalist
|Round 1||vs. S.M.I.D.S.Y. & Sumpthing||Won|
|Round 2||vs. Barbaric Response & Hydra||Lost|
|MEGA MORG - RESULTS|
|The Seventh Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 2
|Heat M, Round 1||vs. Edge Hog, Panic Attack (8), Spin Doctor||Qualified|
|Heat M, Round 2||vs. Robochicken||Lost|
- Wins: 4
- Losses: 7
|Main Series||The Morgue Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Heat Final as The Morgue|
|The Fifth Wars||Heat, Round 1 as Mini Morg|
|The Sixth Wars||Failed to qualify as Mini Morg|
|The Seventh Wars||Heat, Round 2 as Mega Morg|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Entered as Mega Morg|
|Series 2||Entered as Mini Morg|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
Like many other competitors, The Morgue also competed in Techno Games as Torti. For the Techno Games Sumo event of 2003, a new set of motors bought for the next Morg incarnation was added to The Morgue's drive train, as were the wider surface area small wheels from Mega Morg. In the Sumo, it won a bronze medal, and the drive was recycled for the Seventh Wars. It beat Manannan in round 1.
For the Techno Games football of the same year, this new incarnation of The Morgue and the weaponless Extreme 2 Mini Morg both got tortoise paint jobs and polystyrene heads based off the above Craig Charles quote. The Morgue was renamed Torti after Francesco Totti and Mini Morg was renamed Slowman after David Seaman. The football team was called 'One Foot in the Goal', as a reference to the BBC sitcom One Foot in the Grave and its opening credits, which featured giant tortoises.
Dorian Caudy, along with some of his students, entered a entry in the 2001 Shot Put competition called Vesuvius which claimed the Bronze Medal.
The team also entered the penalty kick of 2002 and 2003 with their Neil Jenkins caricatured machine Cybertenic. It tied with Big Brother's Ian Watts' Jake the Peg in 2002 and then lost to Jake the Peg in 2003. It earned them two bronze medals over two consecutive years.
Nowadays, the series of Morgue competitors are retired now from competition. The Series 7 version of Mega Morg and the shell of the Series 4 version made a one-off appearance on static display at the Robots Live! event at Swansea 2012. The team also built a featherweight named Kaizer, armed with a lifter. It was later repainted to resemble Panic Attack, but is now retired.
Appearances in MerchandiseEdit
- Team captain Dorian Caudy used to manage the Welsh women's rugby team.
- Following the end of Robot Wars, Dorian Caudy emigrated to New Zealand. Sadly, he died on 12 June 2016 from complications arising of a brain haemorrhage.
- Alongside Diotoir, General Chompsalot, Run Away, The Steel Avenger and X-Terminator, The Morgue was one of six machines to fight in two Tag Team Terrors with different partners. Coincidentally, it teamed up with Diotoir in the Extreme 1 competition and the X-Terminator in the Extreme 2 competition.
- Mini/Mega Morg lost both Tag Team Terrors by breaking down. Coincidentally, X-Terminator lost its earlier Tag Team Terror, also because its partner (Inverterbrat) broke down.
- The Morgue series had the same Wins/Losses ratio in the UK Series as the Ming series, with whom they were rivals.
- The original Mini Morg was mistakenly referred to by its Extreme 1 predecessor's name in the original Robot Wars Magazine.
- Out of all the competitors that fought in the Vengeance battles held throughout Robot Wars Extreme, Mega Morg was one of the only two competitors that fought in two of those battles. The other robot was Plunderbird 5. Both of those robots fought each other in a Vengeance battle, contributing to that score.
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ Team Kronic website - History and Design
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
- ↑ 
External Links Edit
- The Morgue pages on the Morriston Comprehensive School website (archived)
- The team's website (archived)