|Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars|
Robot Wars logo from the title sequence
|Pit reporter(s)||Julia Reed|
|Judges|| Noel Sharkey|
|No. of episodes||24|
|Original channel(s)||BBC Two|
|Filming date||August 2000|
|Original run||September 22, 2000 – February 23, 2001|
|Preceded by||Robot Wars: The Third Wars|
|Succeeded by||Robot Wars Extreme: Series 1|
Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars was the fourth series of the British television game show Robot Wars. It was originally broadcast from 2000 to 2001 on BBC Two. The series was hosted by Craig Charles, the pit reporter was Julia Reed and commentary was provided by Jonathan Pearce.
The Fourth Wars was also broadcast in the US on the TNN network as Robot Wars: Grand Champions. This version of the show was hosted by Joanie Laurer with commentary provided by Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors commentator Stefan Frank.
Repeats of Series 4 started airing on H2, a subsidiary of the History channel, from 29th January 2016.
The series consisted of sixteen heats featuring six robots each with each heat champion progressing to the semi-finals and two robots from each going through to the Grand Final of the series. In the restructured heats the first round had two three-way eliminators instead of four one-on-one battles with two robots progressing to the next round.
1. Chaos 2
17. King B3
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat A
- Indefatigable vs Atomic vs Chaos 2: Indefatigable eliminated
- Attila The Drum vs King B3 vs Medusa 2000: Attila The Drum eliminated
- Medusa 2000 vs Chaos 2: Chaos 2 won
- King B3 vs Atomic: Atomic won
- Chaos 2 vs Atomic: Chaos 2 won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat B
- Razer vs Velocirippa vs Robochicken: Velocirippa eliminated
- Pussycat vs Milly-Ann Bug vs Reptirron: Reptirron eliminated
- Razer vs Milly-Ann Bug: Razer won
- Pussycat vs Robochicken: Pussycat won
- Razer vs Pussycat: Pussycat won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat C
- Scar vs The Morgue vs Firestorm 2: The Morgue eliminated
- Bolt From The Blue vs Diotoir vs Ming 2: Diotoir eliminated
- Note: After the eliminators, Scar broke down and could not be fixed in time so The Morgue was reinstated.
- Firestorm 2 vs Bolt From The Blue: Firestorm 2 won
- Ming 2 vs The Morgue: The Morgue won
- Firestorm 2 vs The Morgue: Firestorm 2 won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat D
- Cronos vs Crusader 2 vs Steg 2: Cronos eliminated
- Mortis vs Mazakari vs Iron-Awe: Mazakari eliminated
- Iron-Awe vs Steg 2: Steg 2 won
- Mortis vs Crusader 2: Mortis won
- Steg 2 vs Mortis: Steg 2 won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat E
- Henry 2 vs Dominator 2 vs 101: Henry 2 eliminated
- Disc-O-Inferno vs Shadow of Napalm vs Major Tom: Disc-O-Inferno eliminated
- Major Tom vs 101: 101 won
- Shadow of Napalm vs Dominator 2: Dominator 2 won
- Dominator 2 vs 101: Dominator 2 won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat F
- Tornado vs Kater Killer vs Gemini: Kater Killer eliminated
- Invertabrat vs The Creature vs Berserk 2: Invertabrat eliminated
- Gemini vs The Creature: Gemini won
- Tornado vs Berserk 2: Tornado won
- Tornado vs Gemini: Tornado won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat G
- Kronic the Wedgehog vs Gravedigger vs Thermidor 2: Gravedigger eliminated
- Warhog vs Dreadnaut XP-1 vs Darke Destroyer 2: Warhog eliminated
- Kronic the Wedgehog vs Darke Destroyer 2: Kronic the Wedgehog won
- Dreadnaut XP-1 vs Thermidor 2: Thermidor 2 won
- Kronic the Wedgehog vs Thermidor 2: Thermidor 2 won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat H
- Wheelosaurus vs Wheely Big Cheese vs Prizephita Mach 2: Prizephita Mach 2 eliminated
- Maverick vs Suicidal Tendencies vs Killertron: Maverick eliminated
- Wheely Big Cheese vs Killertron: Wheely Big Cheese won
- Suicidal Tendencies vs Wheelosaurus: Suicidal Tendencies won
- Wheely Big Cheese vs Suicidal Tendencies: Wheely Big Cheese won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat I
- Eric vs Killerhurtz vs Destruct-A-Bubble: Destruct-A-Bubble eliminated
- Splinter vs Small Torque vs Centurion: Centurion eliminated
- Killerhurtz vs Splinter: Splinter won
- Small Torque vs Eric: Eric won
- Splinter vs Eric: Splinter won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat J
- Clawed Hopper vs Hammer & Tong vs Bigger Brother: Clawed Hopper eliminated
- Bulldog Breed 2 vs Spikasaurus vs Stinger: Spikasaurus eliminated
- Bigger Brother vs Bulldog Breed 2: Bulldog Breed 2 won
- Stinger vs Hammer & Tong: Stinger won
- Bulldog Breed 2 vs Stinger: Stinger won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat K
- Evil Weevil 2 vs Mousetrap vs Tiberius: Evil Weevil 2 eliminated
- Sump Thing vs Little Fly vs Weld-Dor 2: Weld-Dor 2 eliminated
- Tiberius vs Little Fly: Little Fly won
- Sump Thing vs Mousetrap: Mousetrap won
- Little Fly vs Mousetrap: Mousetrap won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat L
- Knightmare vs Banshee vs Spawn of Scutter: Banshee eliminated
- Vercingetorix vs Fat Boy Tin vs Plunderbird 4: Fat Boy Tin eliminated
- Spawn of Scutter vs Vercingetorix: Spawn of Scutter won
- Plunderbird 4 vs Knightmare: Knightmare won
- Spawn of Scutter vs Knightmare: Spawn of Scutter won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat M
- The Steel Avenger vs Wild Thing vs Humphrey: Humphrey eliminated
- Scorpion vs Reactor vs Sir Chromalot: Scorpion eliminated
- Wild Thing vs Reactor: Wild Thing won
- The Steel Avenger vs Sir Chromalot: The Steel Avenger won
- Wild Thing vs The Steel Avenger: Wild Thing won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat N
- Arnold, Arnold Terminegger vs Rambot vs Behemoth: Rambot eliminated
- Millennium Bug vs X-Terminator 2 vs Judge Shred 2: Millennium Bug eliminated
- Behemoth vs Judge Shred 2: Behemoth won
- X-Terminator 2 vs Arnold, Arnold Terminegger: X-Terminator 2 won
- X-Terminator 2 vs Behemoth: X-Terminator 2 won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat O
- Panic Attack vs Overkill GTI vs S.M.I.D.S.Y.: Overkill GTI eliminated
- Aggrobot 2 vs Oblivion 2 vs Saw Point: Oblivion 2 eliminated
- Panic Attack vs Saw Point: Panic Attack won
- Aggrobot 2 vs S.M.I.D.S.Y.: S.M.I.D.S.Y. won
- Panic Attack vs S.M.I.D.S.Y.: Panic Attack won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Heat P
- Note: V-Max was a reserve robot, who was instated after Onslaught was forced to withdraw due to technical difficulties.
- Raizer Blade vs Hypno-Disc vs The Predator: The Predator eliminated
- Terror-Bull vs Cerberus vs V-Max: Cerberus eliminated
- Hypno-Disc vs V-Max: Hypno-Disc won
- Raizer Blade vs Terror-Bull: Raizer Blade won
- Hypno-Disc vs Raizer Blade: Hypno-Disc won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Semi-Final 1
- Chaos 2 vs Steg 2: Chaos 2 won
- Wheely Big Cheese vs Tornado: Tornado won
- Thermidor 2 vs Pussycat: Pussycat won
- Firestorm 2 vs Dominator 2: Dominator 2 won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Semi-Final 2
- Stinger vs Mousetrap: Stinger won
- Spawn of Scutter vs Panic Attack: Panic Attack won
- Hypno-Disc vs Splinter: Hypno-Disc won
- Wild Thing vs X-Terminator 2: Wild Thing won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Grand Final
- Main article: Robot Wars Awards
These are the winners of the various awards given out at the end of the series:
- Best Design: Gemini
- Best Engineered: The Steel Avenger
- Most Original Entry: Gemini
- Sportsmanship Award: Diotoir
- Best Newcomer: Tornado
Like Series 3, two trials from Series 2 were held as competitions during the series. Pinball returned from the last series, whilst Soccer was replaced with Sumo. The winner was the robot with the best score at the end.
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Pinball Competition
Robots Competing: 101, Hypno-Disc, Spikasaurus, Stinger, Spawn of Scutter, Attila the Drum, Bigger Brother, S.M.I.D.S.Y., King B3, Razer, Banshee, Diotoir, Gemini, Firestorm 2, Invertabrat, Killerhurtz.
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Sumo Basho
The Robot Wars Sumo Basho tournament was a head-to-head with Shunt. The aim was to push the house robot off the podium, or else hold on as long as possible. Cease was called after one minute.
Robots Competing: Spawn of Scutter, Firestorm 2, Diotoir, Onslaught, Scorpion, Destruct-A-Bubble, S.M.I.D.S.Y., Kater Killer, Maverick, X-Terminator 2, Razer, Pussycat, Panic Attack, Behemoth, Bigger Brother, Thermidor 2.
Winner: Panic Attack
During the Fourth Wars, a number of special shows were held over the Christmas period. These Christmas Specials were a Celebrity Special, Tag Team Terror, Northern Annihilator, Southern Annihilator and War of Independence.
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Celebrity Special
In this special, celebrities teamed up with roboteers and took control of their robots in the arena.
Robots and celebrities competing: Pussycat (Adam Woodyatt), Iron-Awe (Natalie Cassidy), Sir Chromalot (Shane Lynch), Killertron (Chris Eubank), Gemini (Anthea & Wendy Turner), Diotoir (Vic Reeves), Disc-O-Inferno (5ive), Wild Thing (Shauna Lowry).
- Diotoir vs Wild Thing: Diotoir won
- Killertron vs Gemini: Gemini won
- Sir Chromalot vs Disc-O-Inferno: Sir Chromalot won
- Pussycat vs Iron-Awe: Pussycat won
- Pussycat vs Sir Chromalot: Pussycat won
- Gemini vs Diotoir: Diotoir won
- Pussycat vs Diotoir: Pussycat won
Tag Team TerrorEdit
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Tag Team Terror
In this special, robots were paired up into teams to fight each other. Only one robot from each team was allowed in the arena at a time and the teams could switch robots by 'tagging' them.
- Firestorm 2 & Scorpion vs Bigger Brother & Plunderbird 4: Firestorm 2 & Scorpion won
- Inverterbrat & X-Terminator 2 vs King B3 & 101: King B3 & 101 won
- Bigger Brother & Plunderbird 4 vs Inverterbrat & X-Terminator 2: Bigger Brother & Plunderbird 4 won
- Firestorm 2 & Scorpion vs King B3 & 101: King B3 & 101 won
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Northern Annihilator
In this special, six robots from the north of the UK entered the arena, with one robot being eliminated in each round until only one was left standing.
- Sixth: Chaos 2
- Fifth: Stinger
- Fourth: Suicidal Tendencies
- Third: Killerhurtz
- Runner-up: Dominator 2
- Winner: Spikasaurus
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/Southern Annihilator
In this special, six robots from the south of the UK entered the arena, with one robot being eliminated in each round until only one was left standing.
- Sixth: Vercingetorix
- Fifth: Spawn of Scutter
- Fourth: Behemoth
- Note: The Behemoth team was not given enough time to fix damage from Round 2 so the competition moved on to the next round without them.
- Third: Attila the Drum
- Runner-up: Onslaught
- Winner: Razer
War of IndependenceEdit
- Main article: Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars/War of Independence
In this special, robots from the UK competed with robots from the USA to see which country had the better robots.
- Mortis (UK) vs Ghetto-Bot (USA): Mortis won
- Panic Attack (UK) vs Rammstein (USA): Panic Attack won
- Ming 2 (UK) vs The Mangulator (USA): Ming 2 won
- Detonator (UK) vs Frenzy (USA): Frenzy won
- Mortis (UK) vs Panic Attack (UK): Mortis won
- Ming 2 (UK) vs Frenzy (USA): Frenzy won
- Mortis (UK) vs Frenzy (USA): Mortis won
Robot Wars: Grand ChampionsEdit
|Robot Wars: Grand Champions|
Robot Wars: Grand Champions logo from the title sequence
|Judges|| Noel Sharkey|
|No. of episodes||23|
|Filming date||August 2000|
|Original run||March 24, 2002 – June 9, 2002|
Robot Wars: Grand Champions was the name given to an American version of the Fourth Wars that was broadcast on the US cable network TNN in 2002. Shown around the same time as the second season of Extreme Warriors, the series run consisted of 23 episodes with the Christmas specials being shown after the Grand Final (the Celebrity Special being left out entirely) with the Tag Team Terror episode being moved to the end and thus concluding the series. This version of the series was presented by Joanie Laurer with commentary being provided by Stefan Frank.
To adapt the series for an American audience a number of changes were made:
- Jonathan Pearce's commentary has been completely replaced with a different one by Stefan Frank.
- All footage featuring Craig Charles and Julia Reed has been edited out. As a result all the pre-match and post-match interviews are now absent, only the ones giving a quick rundown of the robots before their first battle in each episode remain. For things such as announcing the results of Judges' decisions Stefan Frank revealed the outcomes.
- Links featuring Joanie Laurer have been added between events.
- Measurements have been converted from British to American units.
- In addition various other elements such as the side competitions (Pinball and the Sumo) and the minor award ceremonies were cut out.
- The safety disclaimer/Robot Wars Club promo at the end of each episode has been replaced with a different one stating "Building robots is dangerous and should not be done without great care". This message also appeared at the end of each episode of Robot Wars: Extreme Warriors and Robot Wars Extreme.
As a result of these edits episodes were cut down from 45 minutes to around 22 minutes long to fit into a half-hour time slot, including commercials.
More information on the episode order and airdates can be found in the episode guide.