- "And it is! This is one of the heaviest in its class...the lifting arm and spike could mean that it's all "gorgonz-over" for opponents!"
- — Jonathan Pearce introduces The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese (also known as Big Cheese) was the first of two cheese-based machines entered by Roger Plant and Team Big Cheese. It exclusively competed in Series 3 of Robot Wars. It was succeeded by Wheely Big Cheese.
The robot was a large classic wedge shaped robot, designed to look like a piece of cheese. It was armed with a large rear-hinged red lifting arm that was easily capable of lifting a Mini Cooper as well as lifting its opponents high in the air and pitting them. A bladed tip allowed for extra damage. The Big Cheese was very powerful, capable of lifting even Sergeant Bash into the air with little apparent effort.
The interior of the machine featured guided missile and submarine components, as Roger Plant was a mini-submarine pilot, who described the robot as "quite fast, very maneuverable and very dangerous", however the robot had a top speed of only 5 mph.
The Big Cheese participated in Heat E of the Third Wars. In the first round of the heat, The Big Cheese was placed up against newcomers to the main competition in Shrapnel. In the battle, despite Shrapnel boasting a very high weight and a very low clearance, The Big Cheese easily got underneath it with its lifting arm after approaching its sluggish opponent. Team Big Cheese's machine used this advantage to lift up Shrapnel, high above the ground. The Big Cheese then carried it effortlessly over to the pit of oblivion and dropped it in, declaring it the winner of the battle and easily putting it through to the next round of the heat.
- Philippa Forrester: "You've taken over from Sir Killalot's job haven't you? Its usually his job dumping robots in the pit."
- Roger Plant: "Well he was absent, I mean...he's not here, we'll do his job for him. When he is here, we might do his job for him - with him."
- Philippa Forrester: "Oh! Fighting talk from Roger."
- — Post-Shrapnel battle
In the second round of the heat, The Big Cheese was placed up against another newcomer to the main competition in Anorakaphobia, this robot being a far quicker adversary than Shrapnel, forcing the more sluggish Big Cheese machine to chase after it throughout the entire battle. Anorakaphobia spent a lot of time trying to dodge away from the dreaded lifting arm of The Big Cheese, trying to create its own run-up to hit the previous heat-finalists side on with its axe weapon. Later on in the battle, in a skillful and lucky move, The Big Cheese finally got near to its opponent, trapped Anorakaphobia's active hammer between the arm and the wedge, giving it a dragging advantage. This allowed The Big Cheese to easily steer the less powerful Anorakaphobia forward towards the pit of oblivion, before pitting Anorakaphobia, putting it through to the Heat Final.
- Craig Charles: "Is this the biggest robot in the competition?"
- Roger Plant: "No, but it's the best!"
- — Post-battle
What followed was a battle that was voted the best battle of the series: eventual champions Chaos 2 up against The Big Cheese. This was the first and only battle that saw The Big Cheese against another veteran team.
- "Really for the first time, in this heat, in danger, Chaos 2"
- — Jonathan Pearce after The Big Cheese's first move
At the end of the series, The Big Cheese was nominated for the Best Engineered Award, however it lost to the robot that also beat it in the main competition, Chaos 2.
|THE BIG CHEESE - RESULTS|
|The Third Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat E, Round 1||vs. Shrapnel||Won|
|Heat E, Round 2||vs. Anorakaphobia||Won|
|Heat E, Final||vs. Chaos 2||Lost|
- Wins: 2
- Losses: 1
|Main Series||The Big Cheese Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Entered with The Mule|
|The Third Wars||Heat Final|
|The Fourth Wars||Entered with Wheely Big Cheese|
|The Fifth Wars||Entered with Wheely Big Cheese|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Entered with Wheely Big Cheese|
|Series 2||Did not enter|
Appearances in MerchandiseEdit
Outside Robot WarsEdit
After Roger Plant stopped competing in Robot Wars, he sold all of his robots. The Big Cheese was sold over eBay for £500 to an unknown buyer.
The Big Cheese was later sold to roboteer Joseph Prophet in 2008, who has since formed Team ThunderCheese, and has built a featherweight robot Small Cheese, a yellow wedge shaped robot with a rear spike. Small Cheese made its first appearance in the Maidstone Robot Wars event in 2012. The Big Cheese has been used as a static display for several Robot Wars events, such as the Maidstone and Gloucester events in 2013.
Small Cheese is still used in competition, but Prophet has announced that The Big Cheese has been retired.
- There was another heavyweight machine that was to be entered for Series 3 called The Big Cheese. It was made by Liverdyne Robotics, but it was not completed in time for the main competition, and the team halted production after discovering that the name had been taken.
- The Big Cheese's heat final battle against Chaos 2 was voted Best Battle of the Series in Series 3.
- Ironically, The Big Cheese and Chaos 2, who met in the final of their Heat, were the only losing Heat Finalists in Series 2 to reach that stage in the following war.
- The interior of the machine featured guided missile and submarine components, as Roger Plant was a mini-submarine pilot.
- The Big Cheese weighed more than the model of Wheely Big Cheese that immediately succeeded it.
- The Big Cheese is one of three robots to lose both a battle and an award to the same robot in the same series. The other two are Bigger Brother losing Best Design to Razer in The Fifth Wars, and The Creature losing Best Design to Gemini in The Fourth Wars.
- Best Engineered Award - Robot Wars: The Third Wars