Team Scutterbots, later Team Spawn Again, were a team from Essex who fought in Series 3 through 7 of Robot Wars, including both series of Extreme. The team sometimes referred to themselves as The Essex Boys.
Their robots were: Scutter's Revenge, armed with a front bulldozer scoop that fought in Series 3, Spawn of Scutter, a robot that had a flipping/piercing spike and fought in Series 4 and Spawn Again that fought in the following three series and the two series of Robot Wars Extreme, armed with a big CO2 powered flipper.
Despite being plagued by technical problems, Team Scutterbots made the series Semi-finals in four of the five wars they competed in, the only exception being the Seventh Wars.
- "We were both working for the Ford Motor Co in Dagenham at the time of the Second Wars and decided after watching the show that we could build a better bot than the ones we see, so we did. Little did we know what we were letting ourselves in for!"
- — Darren Hayden-Ball
Team Scutterbots comprised of several Ford Motor Company employees, captained by Darren Hayden-Ball with his colleagues Graham Warner and Oluremi Idris. Idris did not return for Series 4 and was replaced by Luke Jackman. Jackman and Hayden-Ball remained on the team until the end of the show.
Rivalry with PlunderbirdEdit
Team Scutterbots had a "rivalry" with the International Wreck Crew, imitating their "tough guy" attitude, black clothes and sunglasses, whilst expressing a desire to fight them. However, they never got the chance despite appearing together in many episodes, leaving this as the biggest unresolved grudge in Robot Wars.
In their debut appearance, Team Scutterbots were in the same Heat as Plunderstorm, but did not meet after Plunderstorm was beaten in round 1 by Thermador, who fought Scutter's Revenge in the second round. In Series 4, the team was again drawn into the same Heat as the Plunderbird team, both teams being seeded, but Plunderbird 4 was defeated in the second round by Knightmare.
The next two incarnations, Spawn Again and Plunderbird 5, both entered the War of Independence during the first series of Extreme Warriors, but both were beaten in the first round.
The chance for the two teams to fight each other finally came around when they were drawn up against each other in the Tag Team Terror during Extreme Series 1, with Comengetorix and Bigger Brother, respectively.
- "I think Plunderbird needs to learn how to fly!"
- — Graham Warner
However before the match, Plunderbird crashed into the entry gate and had to withdraw, being replaced by Major Tom. No further interaction between the two teams occurred after this, mostly because the Plunderbird team retired after Series 5.
|Scutter's Revenge||Heavyweight||Series 3|
|Spawn of Scutter||Heavyweight||Series 4|
|Spawn Again||Heavyweight||Series 5-7, Extreme 1-2, US Season 1|
- Wins: 17
- Losses: 11
|Main Series||Team Scutterbots Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Semi-Final, Round 1 with Scutter's Revenge|
|The Fourth Wars||Semi-Final, Round 1 with Spawn of Scutter|
|The Fifth Wars||Semi-Final, Round 1 with Spawn Again|
|The Sixth Wars||Semi-Final, Round 1 with Spawn Again|
|The Seventh Wars||Heat Final with Spawn Again|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Entered with Spawn Again|
|Series 2||Entered with Spawn Again|
- Team Scutterbots is one of seven teams to reach the Semi-Finals with two different robots, and the only team to achieve the feat with three different robots.
- Despite reaching four Semi-Finals, the team never managed to win a battle in any of their Semi-Final appearances, going out in the first round of the semis on each occasion, the record for the most Semi-Finals reached without winning a battle in any of them.
- The battles between Spawn of Scutter and Knightmare and Spawn Again and Raging Knightmare respectively meant that Scutterbots/Knightmare became the second of three rivalries (after Team 101/King Buxton and followed by Pulsar/Ironside3) where both teams reached a semi-final by defeating the other.