- "If at first you don't succeed, you are above average"
- — Rex Garrod's motto
Team Cassius was a team from Stowmarket in Suffolk that entered the first three series of Robot Wars.
- "I was handed a pack of information by Tim Hunkin, who had received it from the Science Museum. I thought it would be a good education exercise for kids (including old kids like me)."
- — Rex Garrod on entering Robot Wars
The team originally entered Recyclopse in Series 1, reaching the Grand Final. Cassius was entered in Series 2, finishing as runner-up to Panic Attack, before being redesigned and entered in Series 3 as Cassius 2, which lost in the second round after driving into the pit.
The team was closely associated with Team Chaos, having worked together to create their initial robots (Robot the Bruce and Recyclopse). Rex Garrod also helped with Chaos 2, with Chaos 2's first ever battle being an informal roadside skirmish with Cassius, which Chaos 2 won 4-1.
The team captain was Rex Garrod, who was joined by Simon West for all three series. Edward Bull was also part of the team for Series 2, and Mick Cutter moved from Team Chaos to join the team in Series 3.
- Recyclopse also initially set the record for the shortest battle in the UK series of Robot Wars, flipping Scrapper over in 15 seconds in their Arena Semi-Final. However, this was beaten later on in Series 1 by featherweight and fellow Grand Finalist Cunning Plan, and the most recent record was set by Gravity in Series 7, at 6 seconds.
- Cassius was nominated for both Best Design and Best Engineered Awards in Series 2, but lost both.
- Cassius was also the first UK robot to successfully self-right, doing so in its Series 2 Pinball run and its Grand Final eliminator against Roadblock later that same series. This meant that Rex Garrod is often credited with having invented the self-righting mechanism, despite Chaos having first attempted to right itself earlier on in Series 2, and US robots Biohazard and Vlad the Impaler having successfully done so in the original US Robot Wars events.
- Team Cassius is one of only four teams to reach multiple Grand Finals with multiple robots, having reached the Series 1 Final with Recyclopse, and the Series 2 Final with Cassius. The other three teams to have done this are Team Chaos, Cold Fusion Team and Team Shock.
Rex Garrod was a former children's television presenter who was captain of Team Cassius throughout its run on the show. He was well known for his cheery and sporting demeanour and always helped other roboteers to modify and repair their robots when problems arose. He was also reluctant to attack other robots once they had been immobilised, preferring instead of attack the House Robots.
Rex Garrod harboured an intense resentment for several of the Robot Wars rules, as he felt many were unnecessary whilst some other areas were grossly unattended.
- "...most of them stupid, and written by some twerp who sits behind a desk, has never got his / her hands dirty, and never made anything, let alone a sophisticated machine like a robot. And furthermore, so intoxicated with self importance and will not seek help from professionals or listen to experts, who could help them."
- — Rex Garrod on the Robot Wars rules
During Series 2, Rex was told off by one of the health and safety inspectors for a very minor incident. In his anger, Rex told the inspector that much worse things could occur because of their negligence in the areas of fail-safe devices. His protests fell on deaf ears.
- "...I got a rollicking from a so called health and safety man (for drilling a hole in a piece of plastic, half a mm thick with half mm drill bit ,without goggles and leather gloves), I told him that serious accidents would occur because of their lack of proper real safety precautions like checking the all important failsafe devices that MUST be fitted on ALL robotic machines AND PROPERLY TESTED BY AN EXPERT WHO UNDERSTANDS THE DEVICES AND THEIR FAILINGS. He merely walked away. That advice fell on deaf ears, only for a serious accident (hospital case) to occur almost immediately. The next year I arrived at the studio, only to find another robot had run amok, and injured another stagehand (machine fell off a trolley and the switch shorted out and an inefective failsafe didn't stop the machine)."
- — Rex Garrod on behind-the-scenes incidents that caused him to retire from the show
Not long afterwards, a robot went "berserk" and a person was hospitalised as a result. Rex expected Mentorn to have learned their lesson, and turned up for Series 3 expectantly. However, in the pits, More Panda Monium was dropped, causing its spike cannon to activate and stab somebody in the leg. Immediately, Rex retired from Robot Wars in protest.
- "For one accident to occur is bad, but for two of the exact same fault to occur in my book is nothing short of criminal. I have no intention of returning to Robot Wars until I'm satisfied that safety is up to the standards I am used to in my profession (Special effects for T.V Films & Advertising). After these almighty cock-ups things have taken a giant step forward, but from information received by many of the last wars contestants, it still has a long way to go. And self important people still rule, both in safety and common courtesy"
- — Rex Garrod
- Wins: 7
- Losses: 4
|Series||Team Cassius Series Record|
|The First Wars||Grand Final with Recyclopse|
|The Second Wars||Runner-up with Cassius|
|The Third Wars||Heat, Round 2 with Cassius 2|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
- Team Cassius is one of seven teams to reach the semi-finals with two different robots, and one of only four to reach the Grand Finals with two different robots.
- Team Cassius' second robot, Cassius, was inducted into The Combat Robot Hall of Fame in 2007, in honour of it being the first UK robot to self-right.
|First robot in UK to successfully self-right|