- "I can't wait to see you guys waltzing around the arena!"
- — Angela Scanlon references Sweeney Todd's unique locomotion
Sweeney Todd was an invertible robot which competed in Series 8 of Robot Wars. It was built by an Oxford-based team, and was notable for being the first competitor to feature Mecanum wheels as a method of locomotion. However, it lost its Group Battle after becoming immobilised following attacks from PP3D and Apollo.
The name Sweeney Todd was derived from the protagonist of the 1846-1847 story series, The String of Pearls. Stage productions and films named after Sweeney Todd would later be produced, based on the same character.
Sweeney Todd was constructed from 4mm of thick steel, and is armed with a circular saw.
Sweeney Todd was the first robot in the history of Robot Wars to use Mecanum wheels, which have rollers attached to allow the robot to drive in any direction without turning. This gave Sweeney Todd high manoeuvrability, although it would still need to turn manually in order to point its circular saw at opponents.
Sweeney Todd weighed a mere 45kg - 10kg lighter than the maximum weight for middleweight robots. With the heaviest competitors in Series 8 weighing 110kg, Sweeney Todd was under half the weight of that amount.
Sweeney Todd appeared in Heat 4, where in the first round, it faced former Annihilator champions Kan-Opener, full-pressure flipper Apollo, and undercutting spinner PP3D, built by Gary Cairns from the team that won Series 7 with Typhoon 2.
Its role at the start of the battle was passive, avoiding the other robots, only bringing its angle grinders into play onto Apollo when it had lost drive on one wheel. Sweeney Todd returned to the background, avoiding danger until PP3D attacked it, ripping an angle grinder out of Sweeney Todd. It became clear that Sweeney Todd was immobilised by this attack, only showing movement by coasting. It sustained more damage from PP3D, warping the shape of its body, and was flipped into the arena wall by Apollo. As Sweeney Todd was finally counted out, it was hit by PP3D, and was somersaulted by Apollo, and sent spinning away by the final blow from PP3D. It was eliminated from the competition, alongside Kan-Opener.
- "It was a bit disappointing, but you know, we came here for fun!"
- — Dominique Andreson
|SWEENEY TODD - RESULTS|
|Series 8 - UK Championship|
|Heat 4, Group Battle||vs. Apollo, Kan-Opener, PP3D||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|Series||Sweeney Todd Series Record|
|Series 1-7||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Heat, Round 1|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
- Before building Sweeney Todd, the team had experience building autonomous hovercrafts and test rover bots.
- Sweeney Todd was one of three robots that didn't use Lithium batteries in series 8, instead using Lead Acid batteries. The other two were The General and DisConstructor, both of which also used Lead Acid batteries.
- In October 2016, Dominique from the team won the 'Best Female Role Model on Robot Wars' award at the 2016 IET Engineering the Future Festival, an award created by judge Noel Sharkey.