The Southern Annihilator was the second of two Annihilators broadcast as part of the Christmas Specials of Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars. The Southern Annihilator was originally broadcast on December 30, 2000 on BBC Two. The broadcast managed to attract 3.96 million viewers, an increase of 1.22 million viewers when compared with the previous episode. According to BARB, this meant it ranked first in the top thirty highest rated BBC 2 broadcasts during 25-31 December.
|Attila the Drum|
|Dimensions||0.50 x 1.30 x 0.90m|
|Weapons||Mace and pickaxe|
|Notes||Fully floating electronics|
|Team Members: Berny Ryder, Tony Knapp, Ayse Knapp|
|Dimensions||0.75 x 1.10 x 0.62m|
|Power||2 Wheelchair motors|
|From: Hemel Hempstead|
|Team Members: Anthony Pritchard, Michael Pritchard & Kane Aston|
|Dimensions||0.60 x 1.00 x 0.60m|
|Power||Forklift truck motor|
|Notes||Chassis is made of steel|
|Team Members: Alan Wood, David Wood & Mark Holland|
|Dimensions||0.80 x 1.20 x 0.80m|
|Power||Electric powered motors|
|Weapons||9 tonne hydraulic piercer|
|Notes||450 weight reducing holes|
|Team Members: Ian Lewis, Simon Scott & Vincent Blood|
|Spawn of Scutter|
|Dimensions||0.30 x 1.25m x 1.15m|
|Power||2 x Starter motors|
|Weapons||Flipping piercing spike|
|Notes||Runs both ways up|
|From: Grays in Essex|
|Team Members: Darren Ball, Graham Warner & Luke Jackman|
|Dimensions||0.32 x 1.18 x 0.50m|
|Power||2 x 750W motors|
|Weapons||Axe & lifter|
|Notes||Made of kevlar & lexan|
|From: The Isle of Wight|
|Team Members: Ian Gear, Alistair Curtis-Horsefall & Tom Curtis-Horsefall|
Attila the Drum entered the arena using its pickaxe. The battle started quickly with all six robots converging in the arena centre, with Razer getting there the fastest. As Behemoth, Onslaught and Attila the Drum bumped together, Razer grabbed hold of Vercingetorix and crushed through its front. Vercingetorix's lifting arm and axe activated to no avail, and after being lifted slightly by Behemoth, Razer came in for another attack, puncturing deep into Vercingetorix's body, whilst Behemoth was lifted up by Onslaught. Attila the Drum landed a minor attack on Spawn of Scutter before attacking Onslaught to no effect. Vercingetorix then hit Razer with its axe, but this caused little damage, As Behemoth lifted Spawn of Scutter, it was attacked by Attila, causing it to change targets. Razer then proceeded to puncture another hole in Vercingetorix.
- "Razer taking on poor old Vercingetortix again. Well, they've picked on them right from the start."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Behemoth then snuck in from behind Razer and lifted it off the ground, but was unable to flip it. Onslaught then attempted to lift up Vercingetorix, but this was hampered by Razer holding onto the blue machine. Spawn of Scutter pushed against Onslaught, and it in turn was lifted by Behemoth. Behemoth and Onslaught continued to try and lift Razer as it attacked Vercingetorix, and in the melee, Spawn got underneath Onslaught and flipped it over with its spike, as Vercingetorix landed an axe blow on Attila.
- "Over goes Onslaught! Last time they didn't have a self-righting mechanism. They say they have one this time..."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Onslaught is flipped
Spawn then rammed underneath Behemoth, whilst Razer abandoned Vercingetorix to try and attack Onslaught, but the Bedford-based machine quickly self-righted and rushed away from Razer.
- "...and they do! Away from Razer in spectacular fashion, look at that!"
- — Onslaught self-rights
The six robots drove around the arena for a little while before Vercingetorix was rammed by Behemoth, Onslaught and Spawn simultaneously. Attila was then driven into Behemoth by Razer in an attempt to crush through its body, but this failed. Spawn then rammed into Onslaught, overturning it using its wedge, but Onslaught self-righted as Razer and Behemoth had a small duel. Spawn then turned its attention to Vercingetorix, which appeared to have broken down. Razer again attempted to pierce Attila's body, this time using Onslaught as a block, but again it failed. Behemoth then lifted up Vercingetorix's immobile form, allowing for Spawn to fling it aside with its spike. It then pushed Vercingetorix towards the flame jets. Behemoth then lifted up Spawn from behind, only for Onslaught to come in and lift up Behemoth itself at the same time.
- "This is Behemoth, and look at little Onslaught! Behemoth had a go at Spawn of Scutter, "Anything you can do, I can do better!""
- — Jonathan Pearce as Onslaught lifts Behemoth
As the three robots backed away from Vercingetorix's immobile form and fought each other, Razer continued its attack on Attila. Unable to grab the body, it managed to get a grip on Attila's pickaxe, but was unable to break it and Attila escaped just as "Cease" was called.
- "I think Vercingetorix are out."
- — Jonathan Pearce as the battle ends
Despite the fact that Vercingetorix was the only robot not moving, the battle went to a judges decision, but Vercingetorix was eliminated nevertheless.
In the pits, it was revealed that the tip of Vercingetorix's aerial had been damaged, shorting out on the bodywork and preventing the team from controlling it properly. It was also later shown that Razer had managed to pierce through one of its batteries.
- "Well that is the cruelty of Robot Wars - a tiny thing goes wrong and you're out"
- — Julia Reed
Attila the Drum entered with its mace replacing its pickaxe. All five robots quickly converged into the centre of the arena with Razer turning to attack Spawn of Scutter. Onslaught raced in from behind and pushed Razer up Spawn of Scutter's front wedge, before lifting Spawn of Scutter up slightly.
- "In comes Onslaught! Oh ho! As plucky as ever, to take on Razer!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Behemoth missed a flip on Onslaught as Attila the Drum spun defensively. Razer attempted to crush into Behemoth's scoop, but missed and instead turned its attention to Spawn of Scutter whilst Behemoth pushed Attila back and tried to lift it up, to no avail. Razer easily crushed through Spawn of Scutter's side, but Onslaught got underneath Razer and lifted both robots up. Behemoth abandoned Attila to lift up Spawn of Scutter and both scoop-wielding robots forced Razer and Spawn over the flame pit, nearly turning them over.
- "...and Behemoth and Razer now against Spawn of Scutter, but that was the push from Onslaught, which shows tremendous power! Razer takes Spawn of Scutter in a grizzly grip, and Attila the Druuuuuuum.....keeps on trundling on"
- — Jonathan Pearce
- "Razer trying to exact some sort of revenge on Behemoth, and there goes Attila the Drum! If in trouble, run away, run away, live to fight another day."
- — Jonathan Pearce
- "Those are the two impressive robots for me so far in this annihilator, the most impressive"
- — Jonathan Pearce picks early favourites
Attila and Behemoth again attempted to block Razer's attempts at righting itself, whilst Onslaught's srimech appeared to have jammed open. It barged underneath Attila regardless as Spawn pushed Razer back onto its wheels. Razer dodged away from the other robots as Spawn pushed underneath Attila, before turning on Behemoth, who seemed to be lacking full mobility. It managed to grab Behemoth right behind its scoop, but only managed to crumple it a bit. Razer let Behemoth go, only to attack from the side and cut straight through its side panel. As the other three robots engaged in a minor shoving match, Razer let Behemoth go again, but its mobility problems meant it could do nothing to prevent Razer crushing through the side panel again.
- "It will not let it alone, it's trying to worry it to robot-oblivion!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Behemoth takes crucial damage
Razer continued to drag Behemoth around the arena and eventually let go after Onslaught and Spawn rammed into the two robots. Behemoth was now showing no signs of mobility and Razer pushed it across the arena as the other three robots stayed out of the way. This was until Spawn, still stuck in reverse, rammed into Razer, followed by Onslaught and Attila. Razer abandoned Behemoth and effortlessly crushed into Spawn's rear wedge, pushing it back. As Razer released it, Behemoth gained a minimal amount of mobility, but Spawn suddenly stopped moving after Razer let go of it. Onslaught rammed into Attila, narrowly missing a mace blow, whilst Sgt Bash grappled hold of Behemoth just before Cease was called.
- "Behemoth are out of it! Spawn of Scutter, have they survived?"
- — Jonathan Pearce as the fight ends
The judges were called to make a decision and they declared that whilst Behemoth was still showing some signs of life, Spawn of Scutter was completely immobilised, and as a result eliminated from the competition.
- Julia Reed: "You must be gutted"
- Darren Ball: "Yeah, we are a bit. It wasn't even Razer that's knocked us out, so..."
- Julia Reed: "Who was it then, what happened?"
- Darren Ball: "We don't know. We just seem to have lost either reception or power from the receiver to the rest of the robot."
- — Spawn of Scutter's post-mortem.
Eliminated: Spawn of Scutter
Although Behemoth was able to fix most of the damage Razer had caused in the previous round, one of the gears inside its gearbox had slipped out of place. As the spare would take too long to swap over, Behemoth was forced to withdraw.
- Julia Reed: "But you haven't got time to put it in?"
- Anthony Pritchard: "No, it takes about half an hour to swap them over"
- — Behemoth's withdrawal
- "Well, I would imagine Attila the Drum very much up against it here, unless Razer or Onslaught decide to take the other favourite out, because I make them co-favourites at the moment for this"
- — Jonathan Pearce
- "They can win this, by doing very little in the entire Annihilator!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
- "Humdrum? Not this one, and the tempo of the drum is beating ever quicker, it would seem"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Attila the Drum begins to show its potential
Attila was forced over one of the flame jets by Razer, who raised its claw as high as possible to try and puncture the body, but Attila continued to spin, preventing Razer from attacking, until Onslaught pushed into both robots again. Razer attempted to attack Onslaught again, but couldn't catch its faster opponent, whilst Attila continued to strike at thin air.
- "This is very close, y'know. It has not been the most punishing of annihilator rounds"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Eventually, Razer and Onslaught turned on Attila again, trying to control its movements, but once again Razer could not puncture its body. Despite being boxed in, Attila continued to spin, striking the World Champion and causing shards of metal to break off. Razer was forced to retreat once again before coming in for another attack, but Attila landed another hard blow on its side.
Onslaught suffered a few blows itself attempting to stop Attila, although its scoop proved slightly more resilient, as it ran into the side of Razer but failed to lift it.
- "Onslaught has been busy, Attila the Drum has been potentially destructive and Razer here is suddenly up against it and needs to work hard!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Attila continued to spin on the spot and both Razer and Onslaught seemed hesitant to attack before Onslaught finally rammed into it. The two co-favourites turned on each other once again, leaving Attila to spin, but as soon as it slowed down, Attila was rammed simultaneously by both of its opponents and forced into Sir Killalot's CPZ. The house robot's jaws managed to puncture its body and lift it up, whilst Razer's claw snagged the fur on its wheel, ripping it.
- "Attila the Drum went into the CPZ, the Corner Patrol Zone, and that meant it was game for Sir Killalot! What a shame! Oh, what a shame for Berny Ryder and the team, because I thought they were doing so well!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Sir Killalot grabs Attila the Drum
Eventually, Killalot let Attila go, but it appeared to be slower than before. Onslaught rammed into Attila and it rolled straight back into Killalot's CPZ, allowing him to grab hold of its weapon and lift it up again, whereupon it appeared only one of its wheels was working. Onslaught rammed into Killalot as it and Razer tried to dodge each other. Attila was let go once again and it drove into Onslaught once more before slowly rolling backwards and coming to a halt just inside Killalot's CPZ. During the scuffle, Razer finally managed to grab hold of the rear of Onslaught, whose rear tyre appeared to have been damaged. Onslaught managed to dodge away from Razer behind Matilda, but she managed to lift it onto its side with her tusks, allowing Razer to grab hold of it. Despite this, Onslaught took very little damage from Razer's crusher. "Cease" was called and Attila the Drum was declared immobilised, elmininating it from the competition.
- "Attila the Drum forced into Killalot's CPZ...immobilised...Attila the Drum annihilated!"
- — Craig Charles
Eliminated: Attila the Drum
- "But after all the mayhem, two robots have somehow survived, but only one can be crowned Annihilator champion of the South. This should be a classic. Let the final begin!"
- — Craig Charles
Razer got off to the faster start of the two, but as with the previous round was unable to catch hold of the quicker Onslaught. The two dodged around each other before making a small collision, but neither was able to capitalise. As Razer tried to close in, Onslaught drove into Matilda's CPZ and easily dodged behind her and out the other side before the House Robot could react.
- "Dodging around Matilda, how about that!? 'Tildy, you were far too slow there! They went in behind Matilda and totally left her for dead!"
- — Jonathan Pearce in delight
Onslaught tried to continue dodging, but Razer was able to slightly wedge under its side. With Onslaught not far enough up the wedge to use its crusher, Razer forced it back towards Matilda, who pushed Onslaught back and separated the two. Onslaught continued to drive around until it drove straight up Razer's wedge, allowing Razer to grab hold of it just behind the shovel
Razer was unable to damage Onslaught's tough scoop armour and forced it over one of the flame jets, before eventually letting it go.
- "They know now they've got Onslaught, they can do with Onslaught exactly what they want...and that is to let them go"
- — Jonathan Pearce
However, before Onslaught could get away, Razer caught it from behind and forced it into the arena wall. Razer tried to grab hold of one of Onslaught's wheels, but it was too far back for the beak to connect, and Onslaught managed to escape and run away as Razer moved back. Onslaught tried to dodge again, but Razer was able to wedge slightly under it again briefly. Onslaught then made a run-up and charged head-on into Razer's crusher, forcing it back and nearly into Dead Metal's CPZ. The two engaged in a pushing match, but Razer was still unable to crush through Onslaught's armour.
- "D'you know, I...I'm not too sure whether they've got full crushing ability, or whether they have done throughout."
- — Jonathan Pearce, doubting Razer
However, as the two robots pushed, Onslaught's left rear tyre suddenly pealed off its wheel. This didn't seem to deter Onslaught as it continued to push back before Razer released it again. Another grab was quickly executed, but still with little damage, although this time it was Razer who managed to force Onslaught back. Onslaught was released and it reversed into Matilda before dodging away from Razer again. It once again drove into Matilda's CPZ in an attempt to evade Razer, but drove onto the House Robot's tusks. Matilda flipped it onto its side against the arena wall, which managed to dislodge a drive chain.
- "Oh, what are they doing!? What are they doing!? Straight back into the CPZ!"
- — Jonathan Pearce on Onslaught's fatal mistake
Onslaught's srimech was unable to right it whilst it was on its side, rendering it stuck. Both Razer and Matilda nudged it slightly before the two met head on and Matilda pushed Razer back with her raised tusks. As she turned to Onslaught, Razer retaliated by grabbing her from behind and crushing through her rear armour with ease. Sergeant Bash tried to nudge Razer in retaliation, but the undeterred World Champion dragged Matilda towards the flame jet and punctured another hole in her armour. Matilda promptly caught fire over the arena hazard.
- "The rear of Matilda has never been seen quite like this before and I have to say, thank goodness-Matilda is on fire!!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Razer turns on Matilda
Matilda shuffled back and forth slightly, but this did little to put Razer off as it managed to claw another hole in her side. Sir Killalot approached, but appeared to make no effort to stop the destruction, aside from briefly pushing Razer away. Sgt Bash and Dead Metal began attacking the immobilised Onslaught, whilst Razer attempted to break Matilda's chainsaw. Unable to do so, Razer pushed Matilda away just as the pit was descended and punctured a hole in her head. Killalot now appeared to have stopped taking on Razer and helped it push Matilda towards the flame pit. Sgt Bash left Onslaught to join in, and all three managed to push Matilda onto the flame pit, where she caught fire again and finally broke down.
- "Poor old Matilda, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, what on earth has happened to the darling of Robot Wars? Matilda...yes, I know it's sad, isn't it, but she is our darling"
- — Jonathan Pearce
After a moment, Sgt Bash nudged Matilda off the flame pit, just as Onslaught was finally pushed into the pit by Dead Metal. With Matilda now immobilised, Sir Killalot attacked Razer and drove it into the arena wall. Sgt Bash and Refbot pushed Matilda across the arena away from the hazards and the latter used his fire extinguisher to put out the flames, finally bringing an end to Matilda's destruction.
- "Will this be the last we ever see of Matilda, I wonder? Razer, strong enough to be our Southern Survivors!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as the annihilator concludes
Southern Annihilator Champion: Razer
- "From a robot that's prettier than all of the Corrs, pure annihilation, from Robot Wars!"
- — Craig Charles signs off
- "Matilda, created at the dawn of Robot Wars. R.I.P., rust in peace. D.I.A., destroyed in action"
- — Jonathan Pearce provides Matilda's last rites...
The damage caused to Matilda by Razer had proven severe. During the post-match highlights and interviews, both Jonathan Pearce and Craig Charles showed concern that she had been terminally damaged and, during a post-credits scene, a funeral service was held in her honour.
However, immediately afterwards, it was revealed that the damage was not terminal at all, as a heavily bandaged Matilda entered the arena once again fully operational.
- "D.Y.W.B., do you wanna bet!? Oh yes! The matriarch of mayhem, the sister of slice-and-dice, the grandmother of grinding metal...will be back!!"
- — ...and the surprise reveal
- Although the episode was aired mid-way through the course of the series, it was in fact filmed almost at the end. This is evident as Onslaught was able to be repaired for the annihilator (even though it was unable to enter the main competition due to technical problems) and that Matilda was allowed to be destroyed by Razer in the final, as the producers were planning on rebuilding Matilda for the next series.
- This was the only annihilator in which the worst performer in the UK series did not reach the final.
- The episode presented grudges between Razer and Behemoth from the First World Championship and Spawn of Scutter and Vercingetorix for the Fourth Wars Heats. Robot Wars: The Fourth Wars
Heats Finals Trial Competitions Christmas Specials