- "Built by Essex schoolboys, those SAT'arn pointed horns are made of shelving brackets bolted together, but a turning circle of a sluggish 3m could leave these hopes blunted."
- — Jonathan Pearce introduces SAT'arn
SAT'arn was a featherweight robot that competed in Series 1 of Robot Wars. As Series 1 did not have any weight rules, SAT'arn competed in the main competition, despite being a featherweight robot. It managed to get to the Arena stage of its heat, before going out to future featherweight champion, The Demolisher.
SAT'arn was a box-wedge shaped robot, armed with a pair of front 'horns' made from shelving brackets bolted together. SAT'arn was based on a Tamiya monster truck with a thick (10mm) fibreglass shell. Visually, it was based on a bull, and featured one open eye, a snout, a tail, and the top of the was covered in flames.
- "We've got a number of different features; we've got a wagging tail at the back, sound effects, we've got a smoke machine for the nose, and a laser for the eye."
- — Tom Barber
- "What Tom and Sam Barber didn't tell you is that SAT'arn also moos as it goes along. Mad cow disease? These boys are bonkers already!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as SAT'arn runs the gauntlet
In the Gauntlet, SAT'arn started by reversing out of the turntable, slowly reversing into a fence. It quickly turned around, and aimed for the far route, but Sergeant Bash blocked its way. Whilst trying to get past the House Robot, SAT'arn drove into the side railings, but Sergeant Bash held back and SAT'arn quickly turned away from the railings and darted down the course. However, in its haste, it drove straight into a pyramid, getting stuck between the pyramid and the second ramp. It managed to reverse, but as it tried getting past the pyramid, it drove into it again.
- "I'm not too sure about the steering with that mad one eye..."
- — Jonathan Pearce as SAT'arn bumps into the pyramid again
It turned past the pyramid and charged towards the end, neatly dodging Matilda to complete the course.
- "...but it certainly is bullish! Oh what a great run, straight through! Look at the manoeuvrability and 10 miles an hour speed past the House Robots!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as SAT'arn completes the course
The leaderboard showed SAT'arn to have completed the Gauntlet in the quickest time, even though The Demolisher only appeared to take nine seconds to complete it.
In the Trial, which was Stock Car, SAT'arn started in pole position, having finished first on the leaderboard. It started badly, crashing into the fence as it took the first corner, and Cunning Plan and The Demolisher crashed into the back of it. Cunning Plan and SAT'arn reversed together, leaving SAT'arn from the fence and able to continue. It made it past the second turn, but as it reached the centre, it clipped a wall, and The Demolisher overtook it. SAT'arn turned itself off the wall, and followed The Demolisher, having no problem with the next turn, but it slowed down approaching the turn after that. It drove towards the centre, but drove into a wall again. Krayzee Tokyo drove into it as it tried reversing off the wall, and SAT'arn appeared to be blocking its opponent for a short time, even reversing into Krayzee Tokyo. It then shot forward to cross the line. It seemed to be progressing well on its second lap, but was briefly blocked by the immobile body of The Demolisher, which had flipped itself over taking a corner too fast. SAT'arn struggled to squeeze between The Demolisher and the wall, but managed to push past the overturned opponent, however before it could complete its second lap, Bugs and the immobile Krayzee Tokyo were blocking the way. SAT'arn pushed Bugs, and the two crossed the line. SAT'arn was moving sluggishly and drove into the railings, but it did not matter as Cunning Plan completed its final lap to win the race. SAT'arn came joint second and qualified for the arena, where it met The Demolisher.
- Phillipa Forrester: "How do you think SAT'arn will fare?"
- Tom Barber: "Pretty well I think, it's a lot bigger, and got more power behind it."
- — Tom Barber on how he felt about fighting The Demolisher
SAT'arn charged The Demolisher, but missed as The Demolisher swerved away.
- "SAT'arn, like a bull, rushes at the Demolisher - oh, you silly moo, you missed him!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
SAT'arn reversed after its opponent, but The Demolisher drove away from it again, reversing around SAT'arn. SAT'arn chased after The Demolisher, hitting it front-on, but The Demolisher bounced off, so SAT'arn failed to get under its opponent. SAT'arn reversed for another charge, and tried getting under the side of The Demolisher, pushing against the side. The Demolisher managed to escape, and as SAT'arn reversed, it suddenly broke down. The House Robots closed in, with Shunt pushing SAT'arn, along with The Demolisher, which had been ramming into SAT'arn's side, into Matilda Matilda's chainsaw easily cut through cutting into SAT'arn's wooden armour. However, the chainsaw stopped when it hit the metal frame of The Demolisher, and Matilda let the two go. The other House Robots continued attacking it, and SAT'arn was eliminated.
- "There was a connection that came off...we had problems with it yesterday."
- — A crestfallen Tom Barber explains SAT'arn's breakdown to Phillipa Forrester
According to Oliver Steeples, SAT'arn's breakdown was caused by the speed controller failing.
|SAT'ARN - RESULTS|
|The First Wars - UK Championships|
Heats, Arena Semi-Final
|Heat D, Gauntlet||Completed (1st)||Qualified|
|Heat D, Trial (Stock Car)||2 laps (3rd)||Qualified|
|Heat D, Arena Semi-Final||vs. The Demolisher||Lost|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
NOTE: SAT'arn's successful Gauntlet and Trial runs are not included
|Series||SAT'arn Series Record|
|The First Wars||Heat, Arena Semi-Final|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
- SAT'arn is one of 23 robots to have completed The Gauntlet, and also the best of three featherweights to do so (alongside Cunning Plan and The Demolisher).
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20050311184833fw_/http://freespace.virgin.net:80/oliver.steeples/series1/robots/satarn.htm
- ↑ http://freespace.virgin.net/oliver.steeples/enter.htm