Ruf Ruf Dougal lost both of its battles, and the team did not return for Series 7, and the robot was offered for sale online before being broken up for parts.
- "Ruf Ruf Dougal, fresh from defeat in Series 6 may well be for sale. I've got a new job and will soon have a new baby and house so I can't spare the time he needs for improvement. If I sell him it will only be as a package which includes 2 spare drive motors,2 flywheel motors and 2 spare batteries. Other details as per website. I'd be looking for something over £1000 but a good radio, 4 good motors, batteries etc. wll cost that and don't forget his proven ability in series 5 and 6!!! As I'm working away you may be better to speak to me one evening on my mobile."
- — Peter Sturgess on the Official Robot Wars forum
Its weapon was a unique flywheel-driven reciprocating spike machined from a Ford Fiesta driveshaft, which, according to the Robot Wars Magazine, could be used 7.5 times per second. The flywheel also acted as a stabilizer, making Ruf Ruf Dougal very difficult to flip over, as demonstrated in its first battle against Gemini. The frame was built out of a radiator and half a barrel, with a head made from two crash helmets.
Ruf Ruf Dougal was also covered in highly flammable fur (which, according to the Robot Wars Magazine, was loft insulation), which proved to be a great spectacle when it was set alight in the arena. To prevent the fire spreading to the internals, the team added a fire blanket beneath the fur, which proved prudent when Dougal survived its battle in Series 6 despite being completely engulfed in flame.
At the Series 5 qualifiers, Ruf Ruf Dougal beat Pendragon, then lost its second qualifier, which was a four way melee.
- "Our second fight was a four way melee, after 2 robots were out the commentator, stood next to me, was shouting "burn the dog, burn the dog" needless to say with the help of Shunt were were toasted on the flame pit and it was time for home."
- — The Ruf Ruf Dougal website
Newcomers Ruf Ruf Dougal faced clusterbot Gemini from the very experienced Team Mace in the first round. Ruf Ruf Dougal displayed good survivability, as its lack of a baseplate stopped Gemini from turning it over. Ruf Ruf Dougal backed a Gemini twin into the wall, but was lifted in return. Driving over the CO2 gas vents from the arena floor blew away one of its decorative ears. After some of its Kevlar armour started to peel off, Ruf Ruf Dougal's removable link fell out. Dougal was left immobilised, allowing Gemini to flip away its fur, and eventually turn it over. Without waiting for Refbot to come in and count it out, Sir Killalot picked up the upturned machine with its claw and dumped it out of the arena.
- "They're turned on their side and it doesn't want a tummy tickled, this doggy! I think it just wants someone to save it and take it to a nice warm home and basket by the fire somewhere. Well, Sir Killalot will oblige!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Sir Killalot dumps Dougal out of the arena
- "Ah, I can't wait to find out about all the doggy do's and dont's!"
- — Jonathan Pearce introducing Ruf Ruf Dougal
Ruf Ruf Dougal's tail caught fire early on in its first and only battle of Series 6, and the entire coat of fur was burnt to a crisp. Despite this, it surprisingly survived for a judges' decision. Throughout the battle, Dougal was attacked by the axe of Cyrax, and after Tetanus pitted Weld-Dor, Tetanus ganged up with Cyrax against Dougal. The judges unsurprisingly went for Cyrax and Tetanus, so Dougal left the competition with the already pitted Weld-Dor 3.
|RUF RUF DOUGAL - RESULTS|
|The Fifth Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat D, Round 1||vs. Gemini (18)||Lost|
|The Sixth Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat A, Round 1||vs. Cyrax, Tetanus 2, Weld-Dor 3||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 2
|Series||Ruf Ruf Dougal Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|The Sixth Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|