- "A dog with a vicious tongue…"
- — Jonathan Pearce begins his run-down of Ruf Ruf Dougal in Series 5
Ruf Ruf Dougal was a competitor robot that fought in Series 5 and 6 of Robot Wars. In both of its appearances, it was defeated in the first round. The robot's name and design were based on the character Dougal from the children's television series The Magic Roundabout.
Following its appearances, Ruf Ruf Dougal did not return for another series of Robot Wars, and was offered for sale online by the team before being broken up for parts.
- "Ruf Ruf Dougal, fresh from defeat in Series 6 may well be for sale. I've got a new job and will soon have a new baby and house so I can't spare the time he needs for improvement. If I sell him it will only be as a package which includes 2 spare drive motors,2 flywheel motors and 2 spare batteries. Other details as per website. I'd be looking for something over £1000 but a good radio, 4 good motors, batteries etc. wll cost that and don't forget his proven ability in series 5 and 6!!! As I'm working away you may be better to speak to me one evening on my mobile."
- — Peter Sturgess on the Official Robot Wars forum
Ruf Ruf Dougal was a two-wheel drive robot modelled on the aforementioned Magic Roundabout character, armed with a unique reciprocating spike machined out of a Ford Fiesta driveshaft. The spike was driven by a 20kg flywheel, which enabled it to fire seven and a half times per second according to the Robot Wars Magazine. The flywheel also acted as a stabiliser, making Ruf Ruf Dougal very difficult to flip over.
Ruf Ruf Dougal was made entirely out of scrap materials, with a body and chassis built out of valve springs, plywood, a radiator, and half a polyetheylene barrel, among other materials. Its head was made out of two crash helmets (one according to Jonathan Pearce's commentary). The robot was also covered in fragile and highly flammable fur (loft insulation according to the magazine), which was brown in Series 5 and pink in Series 6. To prevent flames from spreading to the robot's internals, the team added aluminium foil to its underside and a fire blanket underneath the fur.
Modifications carried out to Ruf Ruf Dougal for Series 6 included the repositioning of its removable link from the front to the back of the robot, as well as improvements to its spike and chassis.
At the Series 5 qualifiers, Ruf Ruf Dougal fought two qualifier battles. In its first qualifier, it fought Pendragon, using its spike to damage its opponent's side armour. Eventually, these attacks caused Pendragon to lose mobility, allowing Ruf Ruf Dougal to pit it for the victory. In the second - a four-way melee - it lost after being pushed onto the Flame Pit by Shunt.
- "Our second fight was a four way melee, after 2 robots were out the commentator, stood next to me, was shouting "burn the dog, burn the dog" needless to say with the help of Shunt were were toasted on the flame pit and it was time for home."
- — The Ruf Ruf Dougal website
Ruf Ruf Dougal competed in Heat D, where it faced the clusterbot - and eighteenth seed - Gemini in the first round. It was immediately pushed from the side by one of the Gemini halves as the other tried to attack from the front, but dodged another shove before it was almost flipped over. Ruf Ruf Dougal pushed the Gemini half that flipped it back before being lifted a second time, after which it pushed the Gemini half back into an angle grinder. In an attempt to drive away, it veered into Sir Killalot, who attacked Ruf Ruf Dougal after it was pinned against the angle grinder by the Gemini half.
- "It's made out of scrap... and from the evidence of the opening seconds, it's heading back to the scrapyard, and not to a safe kennel!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Ruf Ruf Dougal is attacked by Gemini and Sir Killalot
Ruf Ruf Dougal swiftly backed and turned away to escape, bumping into the Gemini twins as it did so. Seconds later, it drove over a CO2 jet, the jet blowing away one of its decorative 'ears' as it activated. Ruf Ruf Dougal hesitated as it tried to dodge Gemini once again, before one half of Gemini flipped it close to the side wall, allowing the other to get underneath it. Its fur was partially flicked away by one of Gemini's flipping arms, before one of the Gemini halves proceeded to drag Ruf Ruf Dougal backwards and lower it back onto the arena floor. Ruf Ruf Dougal drove slowly towards the pit release button, but another lift from Gemini knocked its removable link out, immobilising it completely. This allowed Gemini to rip more of Ruf Ruf Dougal's fur off and finally turn it over, before Sir Killalot grabbed, lifted and dumped it out of the arena.
- "They're turned on their side, and it doesn't want a tummy tickle, this doggy. I think it just wants someone in there to save it and take it to a nice warm home and basket by the fire somewhere. Well, Sir Killalot will oblige... out you go!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Sir Killalot dumps Ruf Ruf Dougal out of the arena
As a result of this, Ruf Ruf Dougal was eliminated from the Fifth Wars.
- "Ah, I can't wait to find out about all the doggy dos and dont's!"
- — Jonathan Pearce introduces Ruf Ruf Dougal in Series 6
Ruf Ruf Dougal returned for the Sixth Wars, competing in Heat A. In its first-round battle, it fought Cyrax, Tetanus 2 and Weld-Dor 3. It immediately backed into Weld-Dor 3 before being pinned and lifted against it by Cyrax. After backing onto the Floor Spinner, Ruf Ruf Dougal spun round and attacked Cyrax, ramming into it several times with the spike, before its tail caught fire while driving alongside the Flame Pit. The fire quickly spread along the rest of Ruf Ruf Dougal's fur, as it was pursued and lifted again by Cyrax.
- "Oh-oh! Dougal's tail’s on fire! Ha, ha, ha, ha! What's he going to do to put this out? Tail?! The whole coat's on fire now!"
- — Jonathan Pearce laughs as Ruf Ruf Dougal's fur burns
Cyrax lifted Ruf Ruf Dougal again as it pushed it into Sir Killalot, who attempted to grab Ruf Ruf Dougal before it spun away. With most of its fur burnt and charred, Ruf Ruf Dougal was again attacked by Cyrax as Refbot attempted to extinguish its fire, with Cyrax punching through its top several times with its axe. Still burning, Ruf Ruf Dougal was again lifted by Cyrax before bumping into Weld-Dor 3, at which point it attempted to push Cyrax again. After having one of its ears destroyed by Cyrax's axe, Ruf Ruf Dougal backed away towards the wall, spinning round as the ear fell off onto the floor.
- "Oh please, put Dougal out of its misery!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as the burnt Ruf Ruf Dougal spins near an angle grinder
Ruf Ruf Dougal was then simultaneously lifted and pushed by Cyrax and Tetanus 2, with Tetanus 2 grabbing hold of Ruf Ruf Dougal as it pushed it onto the Flame Pit again. Its underside briefly caught fire as its two remaining opponents continued attacking, but it reversed away just as 'cease' was called, and survived to a Judges’ decision. Needless to say, the decision went against Ruf Ruf Dougal, eliminating it from the Sixth Wars along with the already-pitted Weld-Dor 3.
- Philippa Forrester: "You know when you named it "Puff Puff"..."
- Peter Sturgess: ""Ruf Ruf." "Ruf Ruf.""
- Philippa Forrester: "You sure you weren't thinking 'puff' of smoke?"
- Peter Sturgess: "'Puff' of fire, and things like that?"
- Philippa Forrester: "He was well and truly barbequed!"
- — The post-battle interview
|RUF RUF DOUGAL - RESULTS|
|The Fifth Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat D, Round 1||vs. Gemini (18)||Lost|
|The Sixth Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat A, Round 1||vs. Cyrax, Tetanus 2, Weld-Dor 3||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 2
|Series||Ruf Ruf Dougal Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|The Sixth Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|