|Robot Wars: The Third Wars - Heat M|
The Robot Wars logo from the introduction titles
|Series||The Third Wars|
|Special Event||Walker Battle|
|First Broadcast||March 10th 2000|
|Original channel||BBC Two|
|Preceded by||Heat L|
|Succeeded by||Heat N|
Heat M of Robot Wars: The Third Wars was the thirteenth of sixteen heats which determined the Semi-Finalists of Robot Wars: The Third Wars. The episode featuring Heat M was originally broadcast on March 10, 2000 on BBC Two.
- This heat marked the debut of Team Scutterbots,Team Lobster and the Pussycat robot.
- Heat M featured two grand finalist teams from Series 1, who ended up fighting each other in the second round of the heat.
- Heat M was one of two heats in Series 3 to feature two Series 2 semifinalists, the other being Heat G.
- Cassius 2's battle against Dundee was a grudge match from Series 2, where Cassius beat the team's old machine, Loco.
- The Third Wars decline continued with Plunderstorm falling in Round 1 and Cassius 2 eliminated in Round 2, possibly one of the biggest shocks in said series. Heat M was therefore the last appearance of Rex Garrod in Robot Wars; he left after being disgusted by the lack of safety measures in place.
- Interestingly, Heat M was also the only time on Robot Wars where a robot was disqualified for a safety violation.
- This heat also featured accusations of cheating as a radio transmitter was confiscated from an audience member, although this turned out to be a false alarm. The transmitter in fact belonged to a tiny robot, no bigger than Sir Killalot's rear plates, that the audience member had created.
|Dimensions||0.40 x 1.03 x 0.70m|
|Power||2 x 24V Wheelchair Motors|
|Team Members: Paul Brend, Mike Brend|
|Dimensions||0.47 x 1.30 x 0.80m|
|Power||2 x 2HP Starter Motors|
|Weapons||Front Bulldozer Blade|
|Notes||High Powered Motors|
|Team Members: Graham Warner, Oluremi Idris, Darren Ball|
|Dimensions||0.34 x 1.43 x 0.73m|
|Power||2 x Car Motors|
|Notes||3mm Aluminium Shell|
|Team Members: David Harding, Ian Harvey, Eli Kirkpatrick|
|Dimensions||0.70 x 0.80 x 1.00m|
|Power||2 x 24V Electric Motors|
|Weapons||Rear Pickaxe & Scoop|
|Notes||Cost Approximately £400|
|Team Members: Julian Raffle, Mark Raffle, John Raffle|
|Dimensions||0.33 x 1.20 x 0.87m|
|Power||2 x Lawnmower Motors|
|Weapons||Flip Up Paddle & Rear Spike|
|Notes||Shell Made of Polycarbonate|
|Team Members: Rex Garrod, Mick Cutter, Simon West|
|Dimensions||0.40 x 1.20 x 0.65m|
|Power||2 x 12V Batteries|
|Weapons||Disc Cutter & Lifting Ram|
|Team Members: Richard Manion, Eric Manion, Charles Humphries|
|Dimensions||0.40 x 1.20 x 0.65m|
|Team Members: Mike Onslow, Ken Burt, Bryan Kilburn|
|Dimensions||0.95 x 0.56 x 0.73m|
|Power||2 x 750W Motors|
|Weapons||Diamond Edged Saw|
|Team Members: Robin Herrick, David Gribble, Robert Bettington|
Hammerhead vs PussycatEdit
Pussycat came in and tried to use its blade on the side of Hammerhead. Hammerhead, in return, tried to whack Pussycat with its axe, but missed and got it stuck on the arena floor. Pussycat took this opportunity to get behind Hammerhead and slowly push it into the pit.
Cassius 2 vs DundeeEdit
Immediately, Cassius 2 tried to bring its new Flip-up Paddle into play, but was not immediately able to get underneath Dundee, instead, pushing them into Sir Killalot several times. Dundee got away, but Cassius 2 came in again and, this time, successfully got underneath and clipped the Crocodile-shaped robot, before hurling it upside-down with its wide flipper. After 'Cease' was called, Cassius 2 then went after the House Robots in its usual style, chasing Matilda and dislodging her rear armour, but ultimately ending up on the receiving end of an axe blow from Shunt, which went through the top panel of its flipper, causing Cassius to fire it forwards to remove the unwanted axe.
Winner: Cassius 2
Plunderstorm vs ThermadorEdit
Plunderstorm seemed to be having a mechanical fault at the start of the fight. Thermador pushed it into the arena wall. Soon, it became clear that Plunderstorm was immobilised, prompting Dead Metal and the other house robots to come in. Sir Killalot then came in and hooked Plunderstorm's tracks with its lance, lifted it into the air, and carried it around the arena before eventually lowering the beaten machine into the pit.
Zeus vs Scutter's RevengeEdit
Both robots started slowly, but Scutter's Revenge shoved Zeus into the arena wall. Scutter's Revenge then pushed Zeus across the arena floor (Zeus's axe spike broke off on a grill) and into the pit.
Winner: Scutter's Revenge
Cassius 2 vs PussycatEdit
Cassius 2 started strongly, dodging Pussycat's blade and knocking it over onto its side with its pneumatic spike, before proceeding to help it back onto its wheels with its front wedge (Whether or not this was intentional was unknown). Cassius 2 then drove backwards at maximum speed to try and ram the now-righted Pussycat into the pit, but the feline machine drove out the way, causing Cassius 2 to miss, overshooting and flying backwards into the pit. Cassius 2 then attempted to use its pneumatic spike to escape from the pit, but was unable to do so as it fell in at the wrong angle to use it, sending the Series 2 runner-up out of the fight and sealing the victory for Pussycat. This was arguably one of the biggest upsets in Series 3, and a famous early win for Pussycat. During the post-battle interview with Craig Charles, Rex Garrod admitted that he was not driving Cassius 2 in the the duel and Mick Cutter did.
Scutter's Revenge vs ThermadorEditBoth robots started well: Scutter's Revenge pushed Thermador back a bit, but Thermador fought back and pushed Scutter's Revenge for a bit. Scutter's Revenge recovered, however, and pushed Thermador back into the pit, the lobster robot powerless to resist.
Winner: Scutter's Revenge
Pussycat vs Scutter's RevengeEdit
Scutter's Revenge had a better start, pushing the cat into the arena wall twice. Pussycat got away and began attacking Scutter's Revenge with its saw, pushing it over the flame pit at the same time.
- "Is that the same...is that the same blade? Well, they've put another diamond blade on there, a diamond saw blade. It certainly looks darker than the one we had before."
- — Jonathan Pearce notices something amiss with Pussycat's saw.
Scutter's Revenge pushed back at Pussycat, who managed to evade it, but it then drove at the arena wall, its blade shattering upon impact.
- "Oh! And it was a different blade, it's shattered! It's a completely different blade....and not only could they be in trouble from Scutter's Revenge, but they could be in trouble here with the judges, Pussycat!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as the blade shatters
Scutter's Revenge pushed it against the arena wall several more times, before surprisingly, Pussycat began pushing the Essex newcomer against the wall, then towards the flame pit. Eventually, Scutter's Revenge started to billow smoke. The House Robots came in; Killalot pushed Scutter's Revenge onto the flipper, where it was thrown over.
- Winner: Pussycat
However, it later emerged that the Pussycat team had changed their blade without telling anyone; according to the rules, 'hardened blades that may shatter are prohibited'. Therefore, Pussycat was disqualified and Scutter's Revenge went through by default.
- "As it's a technical contravention and for health and safety reasons, the judges have had to vote that you've been disqualified because the saw shattered and it was against the rules, and I'm really sorry to have to break that news to you because you've got a fantastic robot and you've been a great team, but we have to let you go"
- — Philippa Forrester breaks the news to Team Cold Fusion
Heat Winner: Scutter's Revenge
Between Round 1 and Round 2 of each heat, a Special Event or Trial took place. For Heat M, it was a Walker Battle.
Mammoth vs AnarachnidEdit