|Robot Wars: The Seventh Wars - Heat A|
The Robot Wars logo from the introduction titles
|Series||The Seventh Wars|
|Special Event||World Championship Qualifier|
|First Broadcast||November 2nd 2003|
|Preceded by||European Championship of Extreme 2|
|Succeeded by||Heat B|
- "They tried to stop us! They tried to put an end to the destruction! But were we gonna let 'em? (No!) Exactly. So we're back, with Robot Wars: The Seventh Wars and this year the stakes have been raised! The robots are now competing for a cash pot of, get this: Over £20,000! Yes, come on! Means they'll be more determined, more destructive and more downright deadly than ever!"
- — Craig Charles' introduction
Heat A of Robot Wars: The Seventh Wars was the first of sixteen heats which determined the Semi-Finalists of Robot Wars: The Seventh Wars. The episode featuring Heat A was originally broadcast on November 2, 2003 on Five.
- "Heat A" as shown on TV was actually Heat E of the original line-up. As a result of this, this was the first time since Series 3 that the reigning champion did not appear in the first episode.
- This heat also saw the return of Pussycat in the main competition, having been absent from Series 6.
- M2 became the first robot to perform two OotAs in a single battle in the main competition.
- This was the last appearance of Tiberius.
|Dimensions||0.46 x 1.00 x 0.65m|
|Power||2 x Electric motors|
|Strengths||Fast & agile|
|From: Totem, Hampshire|
|Team Members: Jackie Cooper & Paul Cooper|
|Dimensions||0.30 x 0.73 x 1.14m|
|Power||24V electric motor|
|From: Bosschenhoofd, The Netherlands|
|Team Members: Sjaak Koning, Frans Vink & Graham Lawrence|
|Dimensions||0.50 x 1.70 x 0.83m|
|Power||2 x 750W electric motors|
|Weapons||Triple rotating discs|
|Strengths||4 Wheel drive|
|From: Deanery, Leeds|
|Team Members: Joe Laustina & Jim Laustina|
|Pussycat (seeded 9th)|
|Dimensions||0.55 x 0.91 x 0.72m|
|Power||3 x 750W electric motors|
|Weaknesses||Only has 9 lives|
|From: Redditch, Worcestershire|
|Team Members: Stuart Barnwell, Amanda Barnwell & Roger Barnwell|
|Dimensions||0.75 x 1.12 x 0.69m|
|Power||140W electric motor|
|Strengths||Speed & power|
|Weaknesses||High ground clearance|
|From: Bedfont, Middlesex|
|Team Members: Josh Pinto, Lee Simpson & Mark McIntyre|
|Dimensions||0.65 x 0.62 x 0.73m|
|Power||24V electric motors|
|Weapons||Axe & disc cutter|
|Weaknesses||Weak outer shell|
|From: Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire|
|Team Members: John Lewis & Richard Lewis|
|Dimensions||0.83 x 1.05 x 0.75m|
|From: Hove, East Sussex|
|Team Members: Sam Smith, Carl Lawson & Craig Lawson|
|Dimensions||0.60 x 1.02 x 0.97m|
|Power||2 x 800W electric motors|
|Weapons||Vertical spinning disc|
|Strengths||Speed of weapon|
|From: Colchester, Essex|
|Team Members: Simon Latham, Paul S. Rose & Philip Calthorpe|
M2 vs Tiberius 3 vs Shell Shock vs VaderEdit
When Activate was sounded, all four robots drove towards each other, with M2 getting the first attack by flipping Vader up into the air. Vader began spinning up its flywheel, which made contact with M2 as it was driving away, but this caused no significant damage.
Tiberius 3 tried to focus its attacks on Shell Shock, but M2 consistently got in the way. Vader hit Shell Shock with its flywheel before Shell Shock started pushing Tiberius 3 towards the arena side wall. M2 got underneath Vader and flipping it up again, and into the angle grinder. Vader drove away from the angle grinder, before aligning itself for an attack on M2 again. However, rather than being able to attack M2, Tiberius 3 nudged Vader, allowing M2 to get underneath Vader and flip it again.
Upon landing, Vader only turned left and right before it stopped moving completely. Immediately after Vader stopped moving, M2 got under the side of Shell Shock and turned it onto its side. Tiberius 3 nudged Vader before driving into Shell Shock, having not used its weapon at all in the entire battle.
At this point, it was evident that both Vader and Shell Shock had been defeated. M2 desired to flip Vader out of the arena, but misaligned and flipped at thin air, before reversing away, pushing Shell Shock backwards in the process. Tiberius 3 got out of the way, as M2 rotated Shell Shock by pushing its protruding weapon. Having turned Shell Shock around, M2 got underneath Shell Shock and flipped it towards the arena wall, before flipping it again, this time completely out of the arena.
Directly after this, M2 aligned itself with the immobile Vader, and flipped that, also causing it to topple over the arena wall. By flipping both robots out of the arena, M2 became the first robot to flip two robots out of the arena in the same battle in the main competition.
- "And that's Shell Shock gone! The first machine in Robot Wars: The Seventh Wars out of the arena, and shell shot, and they've gone too, Vader! And the flipper rules supreme of M2."
- — Jonathan Pearce as M2 throws two robots out in quick succession
Qualified: M2 & Tiberius 3
Pussycat (9) vs Roobarb vs Twister vs Brutus MaximusEdit
Roobarb and Pussycat immediately attacked Twister, with Roobarb attempting to flip the Dutch machine. Brutus Maximus then pushed Roobarb into the arena wall, before backing into the spinning weapon of Twister and taking damage. Then, after backing into Roobarb, Brutus Maximus's spinning discs fell of the machine, but that didn't stop it from pushing Roobarb into the arena wall once again.
- "I think Brutus Maximus here is losing pieces, as we were told it might, as the battle is waged. It is littering the warzone arena, and the house robots will not like that, they do not like cleaning up after them."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Brutus Maximus begins to fall apart
Meanwhile, Pussycat was attacking all of its opponents, but doing very little damage. Roobarb was then able to flip both Twister and Brutus Maximus, but both robots were invertible and carried on going. Pussycat finally pressed the pit release button and all four machines engaged in combat against the arena wall. Roobarb pushed Brutus Maximus towards the pit, but just missed pushing it in. Then, after another attack by Roobarb, Brutus Maximus lost one of its wheels and stopped moving at the edge of the arena. Brutus Maximus was counted out a few seconds before the end of the battle, but the remaining three were all still mobile and the judges went for Pussycat and Roobarb.
Qualified: Roobarb & Pussycat
Pussycat (9) vs M2Edit
M2 quickly got underneath Pussycat and flipped it around the arena three times early on. Pussycat tried to attack M2 with its spinning disc, but the disc just stopped against M2's armour and did no damage at all. M2 then got underneath Pussycat again and flipped it around the arena twice more.
- "Pussycat is causing very little damage with the blades, and all the work here is being done by M2."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Pussycat tried to respond, but M2 continued to throw its opponent around the arena until Pussycat was against the arena wall. M2 attempted to flip Pussycat out of the arena, but was unsuccessful. M2 then flipped Pussycat into Refbot, which caused it to land on its side, but it was able to recover. However, after yet another attack by M2, Pussycat became stuck on its side but just managed to recover before the end of the battle. The decision went to the judges, who went for M2.
Tiberius 3 vs RoobarbEdit
Roobarb immediately tried to flip Tiberius 3, but was unable to get underneath the robot. Tiberius 3 turned and grabbed hold of Roobarb with its crushing beak, piercing through the armour of its opponent. Tiberius 3 then lifted Roobarb into the air and held the machine aloft while the Roobarb team tried to escape.
- "Roobarb, at the moment, being hoisted, and I don't think he'll be dumping Roobarb into a bowl of custard. It'll be down into the pit of doom and gloom or out of the arena any moment now."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Tiberius 3 hoists Roobarb
However, Roobarb's attempts to escape were in vain as it had clearly stopped working and was unable to put up a fight. Tiberius 3 eventually released Roobarb and activated the pit release button, before pushing Roobarb into the pit of oblivion.
- "Roobarb and custard, Roobarb done and dusted."
- — Jonathan Pearce after Roobarb is pitted
Winner: Tiberius 3
M2 vs Tiberius 3Edit
Both robots started quickly, but were initially unable to lauch an attack on each other. Eventually though, Tiberius 3 was able to grab hold of M2 and pierced through its weak armour with ease.
- "And Tiberius 3 has got to grips with M2! Oh, look at that! It's almost as if it's melting it away. That is vicious!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Tiberius 3 pierces the shell of M2
Tiberius 3 carried M2 around the arena and pushed it into the pit release button. However, M2 was putting up a struggle and Tiberius 3 was unable to direct it towards the pit. Instead, both robots ended up in the CPZ and were attacked by Growler, who tried to pull M2 away but Tiberius 3 was still hanging onto its opponent. Sir Killalot came in and pushed the robots into the arena wall, which allowed M2 to escape from its opponent's grasp and it scampered away across the arena.
- "Well, has this heat final turned on that, I wonder?"
- — Jonathan Pearce as M2 escapes from Tiberius 3's clutches
Tiberius 3 tried to chase after its opponent, but M2 turned and flipped Tiberius 3 over. M2 then threw Tiberius 3 against the arena wall and tried to flip it out of the arena, but only succeeded in flipping it back onto its wheels. However, M2 quickly flipped Tiberius 3 back over and then threw it into the pit of oblivion.
- "And they're out, Tiberius 3! What an amazing heat final! They were absolutely in control, but from masterful control to mayhem, and defeat by M2."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Tiberius 3 is pitted
Heat Winner: M2
- "Well, the moral of the story is, if you stick in your claws, it's best to leave them there, on Robot Wars."
- — Craig Charles signs off
- Main article: The Third World Championship
Between Round 1 and Round 2 of each heat (except Heat I), a 'Special Event' was shown. For Heat A, it was the first World Championship Qualifier between Mechaniac of Austria and Supernova of Sri Lanka.