Heat F of Robot Wars: The First Wars was the sixth and final heat which determined the Grand Finalists of Robot Wars: The First Wars. Also included in this episode was the Grand Final of the First Wars. The episode featuring Heat F and the Grand Final was originally broadcast on March 27, 1998 on BBC Two.
|Dimensions||1.15m x 1.15m x 0.50m|
|Power||2 x 12V motors|
|Team Members: Neil Lambeth & John Ebden|
|Eubank the Mouse|
|Dimensions||0.90m x 0.90m x 0.90m|
|Power||12V wheelchair motors|
|Weapons||Right hook & left cross|
|Team Members: Steve Dove|
|Prince of Darkness|
|Dimensions||0.90m x 0.50m x 0.35m|
|Power||14.4V drill motors|
|Team Members: Jon Scott, James Cruickshank, Matthew Wilson & Stephen Rowles|
|Dimensions||0.92m x 0.73m x 1.00m|
|Power||2 x 12V motors|
|Weapons||Steel bar (replaced with Killertron's mace in the heat final)|
|Team Members: Jonathan Attias, Chris Crosskey, Peter Kyberd & Robin Cox|
|Dimensions||1.10m x 0.70m x 0.45m|
|Team Members: Phil Patching, Gareth Munday & Simon Carroll|
|Dimensions||1.55m x 0.85m x 0.20m|
|From: King Edward VI Grammar School|
|Team Members: Andrew Rockliffe, Christopher Hancomb & David Hall|
|Competing order: 1. The Blob 2. Elvis 3. T.R.A.C.I.E. 4. The Mouse 5. Skarab 6. Prince of Darkness|
|1||Eubank the Mouse||The Mouse charged into the right hand zone. Its zero turning circle gave it the ability to dodge Sergeant Bash and Dead Metal. It briefly ran into the side wall, and then the spikes on the pyramids, but it succeeded in dodging Matilda to cross the finish line.||Completed|
|2||Prince of Darkness||Prince of Darkness successfully tackled both ramps and almost reached the endzone, but Matilda nudged it away, and the judges ruled that it had not completed the Gauntlet.
Now trapped between Matilda and the pyramids, Prince of Darkness manoeuvred and, once Matilda pushed forward too far, drove out from its predicament and crossed the finish line.
|3||Skarab||Skarab also took on the House Robot route, pushing through despite being battered and bathed in flames by Bash. Bash pushed it further up the route and into Dead Metal, who pinned it down. However, Skarab’s weight gave it the ability to push through Dead Metal and cross the finish line.
|4||T.R.A.C.I.E.||T.R.A.C.I.E. took the right hand avenue, but was very ponderous in passing Bash. It stopped completely in the centre of the route, allowing Dead Metal, Matilda and Bash to close in from all sides.
|5||The Blob||The Blob trundled out of the turntable and put on a burst of speed to avoid Sergeant Bash pinning it to one side. It arched through the right hand route, but in an attempt to dodge Dead Metal, ran into the skittles. Dead Metal dodged, but The Blob did not take the opening, and Dead Metal and Bash boxed it in from both sides, pushing it through the skittles and into the ramp. Matilda drove across from her route to help, and between the three House Robots, The Blob lost most of its gained ground.
|6||Elvis||Elvis moved off the turntable, but was unable to move up the ramp. It repositioned its shell, but this did not help. Bash crossed from the right route and slashed with its circular saw, wrecking the paintwork of Elvis. Cease was called, and Bash's saw stopped - part of the saw had broken away.||2.75m|
T.R.A.C.I.E.'s design was ideal for this because its spikes provided the perfect ball controllers. Skarab, Prince of Darkness and The Blob all added different kinds of ball controller to help them in the game.
The Blob was first to the pile of balls, breaking the triangle, whilst T.R.A.C.I.E. seemed to have wedged itself into its own goal. Prince of Darkness managed a long shot from the centre of the arena straight into its goal giving it the first pot. Skarab also managed to score and spent the remainder of the round guarding its pocket tactically. Prince of Darkness scored two more goals in quick succession whilst The Blob nudged a ball towards its pocket but didn't quite cross the line. Prince of Darkness gathered a lot of balls to pocket them and brought its total to six and Eubank the Mouse appeared to have broken down. The Blob was also cleared to go through because it remained active throughout the game. Despite the fact T.R.A.C.I.E. was the least active it was announced that Eubank the Mouse had "irreparably broken down".
1. Prince of Darkness - 6 Balls
- "Prince of Darkness, ready to rack and stack 'em in. In goes a fourth ball...a fifth ball goes in - the Prince of Darkness is romping it - there's a sixth one for the Prince of Darkness"
- — Jonathan Pearce
2. Skarab - 1 Ball
3. The Blob - 0 Balls, but 1 attempt
4. T.R.A.C.I.E. - 0 Balls
- Jeremy Clarkson: "What happened to yours then?"
- Andrew Rockliffe: "She's just a bitch."
- Jeremy Clarkson: "Hahaha, quite honest."
- — After the Trial
5. Eubank the Mouse - 0 Balls, with an "irreparable breakdown".
Eliminated: Eubank the Mouse
- "And if, at the end of the bout, two robots are still running, we shall turn to our panel of adjudicators, for a decision. Now they're going to be marking you roboteers for style, control, violence and aggression. I, on the other hand, am only interested in violence. Now get out there and do some."
- — Jeremy Clarkson
The Blob vs SkarabEdit
The pair of ponderous machines came together, but Skarab clearly had the weight advantage and therefore pushing advantage. Skarab released its hammer, but it fell harmlessly to the ground and did not strike The Blob. Skarab retracted its hammer and pushed The Blob into the side wall, where Bash and Shunt attacked. The Blob showed no signs of moving free, and cease was called.
- "Its oh-no-whoa, the big heave-ho, out onto those side bars, so difficult to escape from - especially with the Sergeant coming in. Argh! You could be right, you could be stone dead - oh! Rust in peace, The Blob!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
T.R.A.C.I.E. vs Prince of DarknessEdit
- "It is the crowd favourite, its David against the heavyweight Goliath in the form of T.R.A.C.I.E."
- — Jonathan Pearce on Prince of Darkness
T.R.A.C.I.E. was the stronger of the robots, pressing its spear against Prince of Darkness' ramp and pushing it around. It circled away and rammed it, but Prince of Darkness pulled back and prepared another attack. However, T.R.A.C.I.E. intercepted it and speared a hole in Prince of Darkness' left tyre.
- "In comes the spike, like a dagger to the heart!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Prince of Darkness could still move, but when it attacked again, T.R.A.C.I.E.'s spears turned it side on and allowed it to stab through the wheel again. This deflated the tyre, and T.R.A.C.I.E. attacked Prince of Darkness' other side, almost tipping it over before Bash and Dead Metal intervened. T.R.A.C.I.E. drove onto a grille at the end, but Prince of Darkness was on the verge of collapse and cease was called.
- Jeremy Clarkson: "Now, you were very rude about that earlier - you called it rude names. What do you think now?"
- Andrew Rockliffe: "She's gorgeous"
- — Amends are made
Skarab vs T.R.A.C.I.E.Edit
- "Killertron, in order to help us uphold the honour of the hammerbots, because we're the only one left, has lent us their mace, because it'll give us the reach to get into the centre of T.R.A.C.I.E.'s electronics"
- — Team Isis
T.R.A.C.I.E. was the first to attack, spearing Skarab's side. At once, Shunt, Dead Metal and Matilda attacked both robots, but when both showed mobility, backed off to join Sergeant Bash on the outskirts. When T.R.A.C.I.E.'s spears ripped away, part of Skarab's armour broke away. Skarab retaliated with a mace attack, but did not inflict any damage, only knocking its own debris off T.R.A.C.I.E.'s spear.
- "He's ripped the flesh off Skarab...you can see a trailer off one of the deadly prongs! And up against it, that mace is like a little schoolground conker against a juggernaut!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
T.R.A.C.I.E. ran into Bash's CPZ, spearing the House Robot with its weapons. Meanwhile, Matilda attacked Skarab and sliced off the aerial, immobilising the weapon of Skarab. T.R.A.C.I.E. detached from Sergeant Bash and attacked Matilda instead, spearing the House Robot near her tusks. T.R.A.C.I.E. attacked Bash again, but Skarab was only driving around in small circles, and cease was called. The match went to the judges, and T.R.A.C.I.E. was given the last Grand Final place.
Heat Winner: T.R.A.C.I.E.
- Eubank the Mouse became the third Stock Robot to cause controversy, as Elvis was eliminated due to The Mouse completing the Gauntlet.
- T.R.A.C.I.E. became the only Grand Finalist in the series to not complete the Gauntlet.