Heat E of Robot Wars: The First Wars was the fifth of six heats which determined the Grand Finalists of Robot Wars: The First Wars. The episode featuring Heat E was originally broadcast on March 20, 1998 on BBC Two.
There were a series of Errors in the Labyrinth Trial of this heat.
- Psychosprout was misspelled as Pyschosprout
- REALI-T and Bodyhammer's placings were mistakenly reversed, putting Bodyhammer second and REALI-T fourth.
Intriguingly, Heat E was also the only heat not to follow the regular UK Championship format of the placings in the Trials. If the results had been listed correctly, Bodyhammer (fourth) would have fought REALI-T (second), and Full Metal Anorak (first) would have fought Torque of the Devil (third). Even with the incorrect listings, the format should have been the same, but it was ignored, for reasons unknown.
|Dimensions||0.80m x 0.80m x 0.60m|
|Power||4 x 18V domestic drill motors|
|Team Members: Robin Herrick, Andrew Dayton-Lovett & Steve Jones|
|Full Metal Anorak|
|Dimensions||0.80m x 0.67m x 0.25m|
|Weapons||Blade & tusks|
|Team Members: Paul Baxter|
|Dimensions||1.00m x 1.00m x 1.00m|
|Team Members: Toby Marsden & Chris Marsden|
|Dimensions||0.95m x 0.80m x 0.30m|
|Power||6 x 90W motors|
|Team Members: Richard Finch, Craig Williams & Tim Calladene|
|Torque of the Devil|
|Dimensions||1.04m x 0.65m x 0.65m|
|Weapons||Blade & drill|
|Team Members: Adam Pengilly & Lee Chenery|
|Dimensions||1.10m x 0.70m x 0.35m|
|Power||24W wheelchair control unit|
|Weapons||2 large spikes|
|Team Members: Oliver Brown, Nick Brown & Tom Anthony|
|Competing order: 1. Full Metal Anorak 2. Torque of the Devil 3. Bodyhammer 4. Wharthog 5. Psychosprout 6. REALI-T|
|1||REALI-T||REALI-T took the centre ramp route, taking a little while to get onto the ramp, but successfully crossing it in the end. It then took the second ramp, dodging the drills, and slowly covered the ramp, paused to let the pendulum pass, and darted into the end zone.||Completed|
|2||Full Metal Anorak||Full Metal Anorak went for the maze route - managing to traversed the maze but catching slightly on the last part. It bumped into the landmines, then made a quick burst of speed that carried it across the spikes and into the end zone.||Completed|
|3||Bodyhammer||Bodyhammer began by taking on the maze, taking the first turns well, but struggling through the next few. It finished the maze and passed the land mines, putting on a burst of speed to pass the grilles and spikes. It swerved to avoid the spikes, but caught itself briefly on the grille. However, it was able to escape and speed into the end zone.||Completed|
|4||Psychosprout||Psychosprout ponderously rolled out of the turntable, and chose to take the left route. Sergeant Bash rammed it, bathing it in fire, and pushing it up against some pyramids.
Bash freed Psychosprout from the pyramids, and battered it, causing it to roll up the course further. Psychosprout rolled to a stop when Bash retreated, but it had travelled far enough to qualify.
|5||Torque of the Devil||Like Wharthog, Torque of the Devil was unfortunate, as the turntable was pointing to the side when activate was called. Unlike Wharthog, however, it saved some of the delay by reversing out, but it was unable to turn and drive quick enough to avoid Sergeant Bash closing in. The two large robots battered each other, but Bash ultimately won by driving both of them onto a grille. Bash was able to escape, but Torque of the Devil was not.
|6||Wharthog||Wharthog was unfortunate, as the turntable was pointing on an obscure angle when activate was called, and had to wait until an exit was available. Wharthog ran into the maze walls, and part of its wedge dented, jamming Wharthog in place. The robot could not move for the remainder of the run. The team was miserable after their performance, with Nick Browne storming into the pits immediately to escape the post-run interview with Jeremy Clarkson, and Oliver Browne refusing to speak to him.
Full Metal Anorak and Torque of the Devil converged on one entrance, whilst REALI-T and Psychosprout went for another. Full Metal Anorak and REALI-T got in first, and Psychosprout rolled backwards from REALI-T's push through. Bodyhammer followed REALI-T through, and Torque of the Devil also entered.
1. Full Metal Anorak - Full Metal Anorak led Torque of the Devil through, and both machines were blocked by Sergeant Bash. Full Metal Anorak pushed at it, and when Sergeant Bash pulled back, Full Metal Anorak shot through and caught up with Bodyhammer. Full Metal Anorak went left and navigated the last few sections, making the endzone.
- "But look at this - he's fed up with waiting - I think he's trying to help out the others now!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Full Metal Anorak went to the aid of REALI-T, who was being blocked by Matilda. Full Metal Anorak rammed Matilda, drawing the House Robot's attention away from REALI-T, as the House Robot pursued Full Metal Anorak into the endzone as time ran out.
- Jeremy Clarkson: "That was a fine performance. Any problems?"
- Paul Baxter: "Bit of wheel spin, and boredom. I wanted to get a bit of damage on Matilda at the end."
- — After the run
2. REALI-T - Once in the maze, REALI-T charged forward, but slammed into reverse to dodge a blast of fire from the nearby Bash. The dodge allowed it to escape, but Bodyhammer charged in and pressed it against a side wall. REALI-T followed Bodyhammer through, but went right when Bodyhammer went left. It ran into Matilda, and spent much of the remaining time trying to push past the house robot. Full Metal Anorak came out and helped it, allowing REALI-T to gain some ground once Matilda moved off. However, it just missed the end zone as cease was called.
3. Torque of the Devil - Torque of the Devil had a very ponderous progression through the labyrinth. It was blocked by Sergeant Bash, and was unable to follow Full Metal Anorak through its brief opening. Eventually, it passed Bash and managed to avoid the action, ending the Trial several metres behind REALI-T.
4. Bodyhammer - Bodyhammer gained the most ground, bulldozing REALI-T into the side and promptly ramming itself into the walls. It recovered and shot into the end sections, where it had a choice of left or right. It chose left, and was promptly caught by Shunt and Bash, negating any chances it had of making the end zone. In the final moments, Bash shoved Bodyhammer back the crucial metres needed to keep its placing, and blasted it with fire. Bodyhammer was the furthest from the end when cease was called.
5. Psychosprout - After being pushed back by REALI-T, Psychosprout did not move. The progress of all four other robots was irrelevant, as Psychosprout put up no challenge and was eliminated.
Bodyhammer vs Torque of the DevilEdit
- Philippa Forrester: "Bodyhammer! Where's your hammer?"
- Team Cold Fusion: "We had a small problem...the weapons pod is now a destructor"
- Philippa Forrester: "Ok...I hope it works!"
- Jonathan Pearce: "Well they've been my tips throughout, but I wonder if that will make a difference in this semi-final."
- — Before the battle
Bodyhammer's hammer wasn't working when it came to the arena so the team was forced to change the weapon to a spike. Bodyhammer was still the quicker, zooming around and ramming Torque of the Devil in its blind spot. It pushed it around, freed itself and rammed again, stopping Torque of the Devil's spinning disc. It then pushed it into the side wall and onto the side bars which meant that Torque of the Devil could not drive free. Dead Metal came in and rammed with its pincers, cutting through the plaster on Torque of the Devil's head. Shunt axed it and pulled it free, but Bodyhammer wasted no time in rushing up for another attack. It rammed Torque of the Devil back onto the sides, and cease was called.
Full Metal Anorak vs REALI-TEdit
The two middleweight robots rammed into each other twice in quick succession, before running away from each other. Neither robot made an offensive move towards the other, but Sergeant Bash came charging out, disc first, and charged both machines. REALI-T managed to survive the attack from the disc, and charged into Full Metal Anorak. The two continued to batter at each other.
- "They say, at this time, REALI-T just pleasing the judges more than Full Metal Anorak. Their decision is final, not mine"
- — Jonathan Pearce during the battle
REALI-T remained on the offensive, and Full Metal Anorak was unable to prepare a charge. It made one attack, but was unsuccessful in doing damage. REALI-T then shoved Full Metal Anorak - nearly onto a grille - into the side wall, REALI-T also caused superficial damage to Full Metal Anorak with its spikes. Full Metal Anorak was now demonstrating excessive evasion, which was counting against it. The robots collided, and Full Metal Anorak ricocheted off and onto a grille, rendering it immobile, and as a result cease was called.
- Jeremy Clarkson: "Well congratulations, you're through to the next round, with the noisiest machine of the lot!"
- Jonathan Pearce: "That sounds almost like a demented, mechanised cricket to me"
- — Compliments made on REALI-T's electronic siren
Bodyhammer vs REALI-TEdit
Both robots circled each other repeatedly, and Bodyhammer ran into Dead Metal. Pulling back, the robots collided, but Matilda was interfering with the battle, as it was pinned to REALI-T's spike. Both robots entered Matilda's CPZ, where Bodyhammer knocked REALI-T hard against a pyramid, and REALI-T was then thrust against the side wall by Matilda.
- "And she looks grumpy! I think she's suffering from PMT! Pre-mechanical tension!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
- "No, you don't take on Shunt, you take on Bodyhammer! Bodyhammer's off that grille, given a little bit of a Shunt of assistance."
- — Jonathan Pearce
It turns out that REALI-T had lost a wheel when pushing Bodyhammer onto the grille, which then effected its steering.
Heat Winner: Bodyhammer
- Bodyhammer making the Grand Final made it the first of three robots with an overhead weapon to make it into a Grand Final.