Robot The Bruce was a robot entered by Team Chaos in the first series of Robot Wars. It weighed enough to be classed as a Super Heavyweight. It managed to reach the Grand Final before being defeated by the eventual champion Roadblock.
Its name is a pun on the historical Scottish leader, Robert the Bruce.
- "Its main (in fact its only) weapon was brute force. This was achieved by using two Sinclair C5 12V motors (one per side). Each motor drove both wheels on it's side via a 30:1 reducion gearbox. This 4 wheel drive gave Bruce lots of torque and traction, but it's main problem was that the resulting skid steering consumed large amounts of battery power. It would only run for 10 minutes on each set of batteries."
- — Team Cassius website on Robot The Bruce
Robot The Bruce was a clear armoured box-wedge shaped robot. The robot had no weaponry at all, instead using its brute force to push other robots around the arena.
Notably, the construction of Robot The Bruce was completed by two teams. The structure of the robot was done by Rex Garrod and Simon West from Team Cassius (who would also build Recyclopse for the same series), whilst the electronics were handled by Team Chaos' George Francis. This teamwork meant that the robot was fully built in just four days.
After the First Wars had ended, many of Robot The Bruce's internal components were later used in its successor, Chaos, for Series 2.
Robot The Bruce's journey through the Heats was very quick. As the final robot in the Gauntlet, Robot the Bruce had to beat Plunderbird's 4 metres. Powering into Dead Metal, it bulldozed the House Robot to the end zone, being hassled by Shunt on the way. As Dead Metal retreated, Robot the Bruce made the end zone.
In the Football Trial, Robot The Bruce added two side flaps to successfully control the ball, and it successfully battered aside WYSIWYG to shove the ball past Dead Metal, scoring the first goal. This put Robot the Bruce through to the Arena stage.
- "It's the box against the wedge, no weapons on board either."
- — Jonathan Pearce
In the Arena Semi-Final, Robot the Bruce was drawn against Cruella. The battle was close for Robot the Bruce, as it came very close to being tipped on its side by Cruella's wedge several times. Just as Robot the Bruce dodged an attack, Cruella ran into the side wall, onto one of the grills. With Cruella left completely immobile, Robot the Bruce was through to fight another wedge-shaped robot, Wedgehog in the Heat Final.
- "...make him run up the front of us. We've got no chance any other way, he weighs four times our weight."
- — Chris Glaister's tactics
Robot The Bruce weighed 60kg more than its opponent. Wedgehog's wedge could not get underneath Robot the Bruce, and Robot the Bruce bulldozed Wedgehog onto another grill, leaving it immobile and putting Team Chaos through to the Grand Final for the first of three occassions.
In the Grand Final, Robot The Bruce was drawn against fellow heat winners; Bodyhammer Cunning Plan, Roadblock and T.R.A.C.I.E., as well as Recyclopse, built by Rex Garrod who had collaborated with Team Chaos to build Robot The Bruce.
Robot the Bruce initially kept its distance from the main action. Eventually, it rammed Roadblock and Bodyhammer several times, before slipping beneath its 'brother robot' Recyclopse and helping Roadblock on the attack. Robot the Bruce then attacked Bodyhammer, ramming the cone shaped machine several times. Roadblock, having concluded the demise of Recyclopse, attacked Robot the Bruce, and succeeded in doing what Cruella had failed to do - drive beneath Robot the Bruce and tip the box machine onto its side. Thus immobilised, Robot the Bruce was eliminated, the last to fall before the Judges' decision won by Roadblock.
|ROBOT THE BRUCE - RESULTS|
|The First Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat C, Gauntlet||Completed (1st)||Qualified|
|Heat C, Trial (Football)||Scored 1st Goal (1st)||Qualified|
|Heat C, Semi-Final||vs. Cruella||Won|
|Heat C, Final||vs. Wedgehog||Won|
|Grand Final||vs. Bodyhammer, Cunning Plan,|
Roadblock, Recyclopse, T.R.A.C.I.E.
- Wins: 2
- Losses: 1
NOTE: Robot The Bruce's successful Gauntlet and Trial runs are not included
|Main Series||Robot The Bruce Series Record|
|The First Wars||Grand Final|
|The Second Wars||Entered with Chaos|
|The Third Wars||Entered with Chaos 2|
|The Fourth Wars||Entered with Chaos 2|
|The Fifth Wars||Entered with Chaos 2|
|The Sixth Wars||Entered with Chaos 2|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Entered with Chaos 2|
|Series 2||Entered with Chaos 2|
- Robot the Bruce is the only UK heavyweight robot without a weapon to reach a Grand Final, or indeed, win a main series battle. The Dutch heavyweight Tyke (competing in the German championship), and UK featherweight Cunning Plan were the only other weaponless robots to reach a Grand Final and win battles.
- Robot the Bruce is one of six robots to have come first in both The Gauntlet and The Trial in one heat. The other robots in this category are All Torque, Corporal Punishment, Demolition Demon, Nemesis and Razer, and is the only one of these robots to go on to win the heat.
- Robot the Bruce is one of twenty-three robots to have completed The Gauntlet.
- Robot the Bruce was the first machine named after a real life individual.