Reptirron was the name of a series of robots that competed in Series 4, 6 and 7 of Robot Wars. It lost in Round 1 of Series 4 and 6, performing only slightly better in the Seventh Wars, reaching the second round only to lose to the eventual heat winner Firestorm 5.
Versions of ReptirronEdit
Reptirron (Series 4)Edit
The original Reptirron was clad in bronze "biscuit-tin" armour with an aluminium chassis and had a 9500RPM spinning disc mounted on an arm and running off a chainsaw engine and a zero turning circle. The ground clearance was adjustable from 5mm to 2cm and could drive up to 15mph but was unreliable. However, it was attacked at the back and immobilised.
This model had previously tried and failed to qualify for Series 3.
Reptirron the Second (Series 6-7)Edit
- "Double trouble here with two good weapons."
- — Jonathan Pearce, introducing Reptirron the Second in Series 6
The robot was rebuilt for Series 6, and named Reptirron the Second. It originally had the same bronze "biscuit-tin" aluminium armour of its predecessor, but also had four-wheel drive and the armour was replaced by clear polycarbonate and steel for Series 7. It was described as an aluminium "monocoque", a term which describes a robot which has one full sheet of armour, instead of sections bolted on, making it resistant to damage. Its main weapons were a CO2 high pressure lifter and a 4000RPM vertical cutting disc at the back, in order to protect both ends of the robot.
Reptirron barely moved at the start of its first and only battle against Pussycat and Milly-Ann Bug. Pussycat struck it at the front with its disc, severing a cable, and the petrol that was driving the saw started to leak out. This caused it to burst into flames after Sergeant Bash's flamethrower was fired.
- "It's all over for Reptirron and there are the flames!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Refbot attempted to extinguish the flames but it kept burning. Sergeant Bash then dragged it over to arena flipper where the flaming Reptirron was thrown through the air and eliminated from Series 4. After the battle Refbot extinguished the flames.
- "Could be a dark horse"
- — Not all of Jonathan's predictions were correct
Reptirron the Second did very little in its only battle of Series 6 against A-Kill, Sabretooth and Terrorhurtz. It had radio transmission problems from the start and struggled to move. When it finally got moving, Terrorhurtz got its axe stuck in the top of the body and dragged it over to the flame pit. Terrorhurtz held it there and Shunt attacked it with his axe.
- "Reptirron the Second - bronze looking, but about to be blackened by the flames"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Reptirron is burned
It eventually escaped and drove over to the arena wall where it broke down completely and was counted out by Refbot, eliminating it.
- Jayne Middlemiss: "Tactics?"
- Gordon Townley: "Yes."
- Jayne Middlemiss: "Good, got some tactics. What are they?"
- Gordon Townley: "Go after the spinner first, I think, that's going to be the most dangerous one."
- — Before the first bout
Reptirron the Second performed better in this series than in the previous two, making it out of Round One for the first time against Aggrobot, Zorro and Ripper. It was very aggressive and continuously flipped Aggrobot, only once getting stuck on top of it. It was a lot more active as well, and didn't appear to have any reliability issues. As Zorro had been flipped over by Ripper, the judges' decision was between Ripper, Reptirron the Second and Aggrobot. Reptirron the Second went through with Ripper to Round two.
- "They have a job to flip people out of the arena because their flipper works the opposite way to what most people's do. So if we can get them in the right place I know we can get them out."
- — Gordon Townley's ironic comments about Firestorm 5 before the second round.
|REPTIRRON - RESULTS|
|The Fourth Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat B, Eliminator||vs. Milly-Ann Bug, Pussycat (19)||Eliminated|
|REPTIRRON THE SECOND - RESULTS|
|The Sixth Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat I, Round 1||vs. A-Kill, Sabretooth, Terrorhurtz||Eliminated|
|The Seventh Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 2
|Heat P, Round 1||vs. Aggrobot, Ripper, Zorro||Qualified|
|Heat P, Round 2||vs. Firestorm 5 (2)||Lost|
- Wins: 1
- Losses: 3
|Main Series||Reptirron Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Failed to qualify|
|The Fourth Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Heat, Round 1 as Reptirron the Second|
|The Seventh Wars||Heat, Round 2 as Reptirron the Second|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Did not enter|
|Series 2||Entered with Argh!|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
Following the end of Robot Wars, Reptirron the Second continued make the odd appearance on the live event circuit and fought in a few battles during the Roaming Robots Winter Tour 2004. Shortly after, it was retired from combat due to chassis fatigue.
- Reptirron is an anagram of Terrorpin, though the robots are unrelated.
- In all three of its appearances, Reptirron lost to Grand Finalists. In Series 4 and 6, both robots to beat Reptirron went on to reach the Grand Final. This only includes the robots that eliminated Reptirron. Milly-Ann Bug and A-Kill do not count despite also qualifying from melees where Reptirron lost, because they were not responsible for Reptirron's elimination.