- "Due to its size and the intended aggression it pointed more towards a rat than a mouse. The latin name for the common rat is Rattus Rattus and so a name was found."
- — The Team's website
Rattus Rattus was said to have got its name from the Latin name of the Common Rat (or Brown Rat). In actual fact, Rattus rattus is the Latin name of the closely related House Rat (or Black Rat), with the Common Rat's actual Latin name being Rattus norvegicus. The team jokingly claimed that it was from the fourteenth century, and had been responsible for the spread of the bubonic plague.
Rattus Rattus was shaped like a rodent, with a pointed-wedge front and chassis from an old desk. It had six wheels as it was considered "easier" to drive by the team as it drove like a tank. Its armament included two spikes at the front, and a flail at the rear. It was originally going to be over 2.5 metres long, but the team was forced to cut it in half upon discovering that a robot that size would not fit in their car. Despite this, it was still the longest in its heat.
Rattus Rattus was originally covered in brown fur but the fur was not permitted after a test. It took 3 days to remove the fur and add a different coating. However Rattus Rattus still maintains its Dark brown colour scheme.
- "A chap from the health and safety department asked for a small piece of fur to perform a flame test on it. It failed. He told me it produced poisonous gases and would need some sort of coating to stop it from catching fire. Back in Guernsey we took a piece of fur to the fire brigade and asked their opinion. He agreed that the fur was not fire proof and would need a coating. He sent us down to Securicor who have what we need. The man at Securicor took a piece of fur to run a test. He coated it that night and the next day he tried the same test as the fire brigade. The phone call from him told us we needed a different covering."
- — Rattus Rattus website
Rattus Rattus was upgraded to enter Series 4, but it failed to qualify. At the qualifiers, it fought Dominator 2, winning the battle when Dominator 2's removable link fell out, but ultimately Rattus Rattus was not chosen to compete, whereas Dominator 2 recieved a discretionary place
- "The compere made a mention of the incredible power of our axe, and you had to feel a bit sorry for the defenceless Rattus Rattus. After a quick dance around around the arena, Dominator's axe burried itself 8 inches deep in the back of RR, (missing the aerial by 1/2 an inch!) Another short dance, and the axe struck again, with Dominator poised to push the impailed RR into the pit, when the removable link jumped out, and Dominator was powerless, forfieting the bout to RR! However, with a bit of leading from the compere, the audience voted that Dominator II should be eligible to go through to the next stage as well!"
- — The Dominator 2 website on the Series 4 qualifier battle
Rattus Rattus took part in the final heat of the Third Wars. In the first round of the heat, Rattus Rattus was placed up against fellow newcomers S.M.I.D.S.Y.. After a cautious start to the battle, Rattus Rattus managed to get in underneath its opponent. Rattus Rattus was then bounced by the arena floor spike a few times before driving up and over S.M.I.D.S.Y.'s top. Rattus Rattus then pushed S.M.I.D.S.Y. onto the arena spike, and then into Dead Metal's CPZ, before colliding with Dead Metal itself, dislodging its own body shell upon impact. Rattus Rattus then carelessly drove over the flame pit and began smoking, but S.M.I.D.S.Y. meanwhile was limping itself, and was eventually pushed into the pit of oblivion by Dead Metal, therefore putting Rattus Rattus through to the next round of the heat. After the fight, the team revealed that they had fitted a block of wood at the tip of the wedge, with the vain hope that it would keep the shell in place.
In the second round, Rattus Rattus was placed up against Robot Wars veterans Dreadnaut. In this battle, Rattus Rattus was eagerly moving backwards and forwards before 'activate' was called, but when 'activate' was called, Rattus Rattus did not even move at all.
- "They say it came from the 14th century - well, the engines probably ground to a halt long ago since then."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Dreadnaut rammed into it a few times, before the house robots moved in and began attacking Rattus Rattus, with Dead Metal in particular causing major damage to the outer shell. Cease was eventually called and Rattus Rattus was eliminated from the competition.
- "It suffered from its own plague!"
- — The Rattus Rattus team blame the bubonic plague for their robot's demise
|RATTUS RATTUS - RESULTS|
|The Third Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 2
|Heat P, Round 1||vs. S.M.I.D.S.Y.||Won|
|Heat P, Round 2||vs. Dreadnaut||Lost|
- Wins: 1
- Losses: 1
|Series||Rattus Rattus Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Heat, Round 2|
|The Fourth Wars||Failed to qualify|
|The Fifth Wars||Failed to qualify|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
- Rattus Rattus was the only ever robot to come from the Channel Islands.
- Had it not been cut in half, it would have been the second longest robot to enter Robot Wars.
- ↑ http://web.archive.org/web/20020106011356/http://www.bug-bits.freeserve.co.uk/robots/body.htm
- ↑ 
- ↑