- "This homemade robot weighs in at 27.2 kilograms and runs on two 14.4V drill motors. Not the most aesthetically-pleasing robot, but certainly powerful."
- — Jonathan Pearce introduces Prince of Darkness
Prince of Darkness (also spelt as The Prince of Darkness) was a competitor robot that fought in Series 1 of Robot Wars. It performed well in the Gauntlet and Trial stages to reach the Arena Semi-Finals during its only appearance, but lost to eventual Grand Finalist T.R.A.C.I.E. there despite still being mobile.
- "It looks like one of those old sort of go-karts you made, though, when you were about seven."
- — Jonathan Pearce assesses Prince of Darkness's design
Prince of Darkness was a tall, wedged box-shaped robot featuring two outside wheels and wooden armour. It had a pair of removable spikes as its weapons, as well as a front scoop for the Snooker Trial, and the team claimed that it was powerful enough to pull a car as a result of its 14.4V drill motors. The robot was painted dark red and black for its Arena battles, with its logo and a warning sign printed on its top panel and front wedge.
- "The Prince of Darkness team were unlucky as they originally planned a featherweight but their speed controller broke the night before so they cannibalised an old wheelchair, turning it into the red Prince of Darkness."
- — Oliver Steeples 
Prince of Darkness took under five hours to build using parts from an old wheelchair, and was unusual in that it entered its heat in a partially-finished state. The robot competed in the Gauntlet and Trial stages in bright red primer and without its spikes attached, with its name written on the front wedge in marker pen. This led to Prince of Darkness being mocked by Jonathan Pearce and the show's hosts for its decidedly amateurish appearance, with Pearce and Philippa Forrester jokingly describing it as a homemade 'go-kart', and Jeremy Clarkson deeming it 'miserable'. Clarkson ultimately considered Prince of Darkness to be the worst robot he had ever seen despite its strong Gauntlet and Trial runs, even thanking the T.R.A.C.I.E. team for eliminating it in its Semi-Final battle. It was repainted part-way through the heat.
Prince of Darkness entered Heat F, and was the last robot in that heat to traverse the Gauntlet. It started by immediately choosing the middle route, easily crossing the see-saw before negotiating over the ramp. As it descended, Matilda came in and rammed Prince of Darkness as it crossed over the line, pushing and steering it away from the end zone.
- "The Prince of Darkness is going all the way! Look at that! Oh, until Matilda came across, but did it cross the line first? They think so - but the judges say no, they've got to do it all again!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Matilda rams Prince of Darkness away from the finish
Matilda pushed Prince of Darkness against a spiked pyramid, but got herself wedged in the process, allowing Prince of Darkness to escape and cross the line, safely reaching the end zone and qualifying for the Trial stage.
- Jeremy Clarkson: "That is the worst looking robot I have ever seen in my life, and it crossed the line twice!"
- Jon Scott: "That thing can pull a car!"
- Jeremy Clarkson: "And what would've happened if Sergeant Bash had attacked it with its flamethrower?"
- Jon Scott: "It probably would been a bit alight, but it would've been more spectacular for the audience."
- — After the Gauntlet run
Along with the other four surviving robots, Prince of Darkness fought in the Snooker Trial, this time equipped with a large scoop in order to guide the snooker balls around. It charged into The Blob as the latter scattered the balls around the arena, and potted its first ball as Skarab soon followed. Prince of Darkness manouevered a few more balls, potting its second and third ones in rapid succession as the other competitors - Eubank the Mouse, The Blob and T.R.A.C.I.E. - lost mobility. Prince of Darkness scooped up a few more balls, eventually scoring six as 'cease' was called and winning the Snooker Trial convincingly.
- Philippa Forrester: "What d'you call this?"
- Jon Scott: "The Prince of Darkness. You said it was an amateur job, so we now made it professional."
- Philippa Forrester: "It's a bit tacky, still... it looks fantastic, well done guys!"
- Jon Scott: "Thanks very much!"
- Philippa Forrester: "I'm a bit disappointed though, because we quite liked that amateurish "go-kart you made yourself in the garage" feel to it, but, that's how we'll always think of it."
- — Philippa Forrester discovers Prince of Darkness's new paint job
Due to winning the Snooker Trial, a newly-repainted Prince of Darkness advanced to the Arena stage, facing T.R.A.C.I.E. in its Semi Final. The battle started slowly, with Prince of Darkness moving towards T.R.A.C.I.E. before turning left, allowing T.R.A.C.I.E. to impale one of its spikes against its wedge and push it close to a grille. Both robots separated, before T.R.A.C.I.E. rammed Prince of Darkness side-on, puncturing its left-hand tyre with its other front spike.
- "In comes the spike, like a dagger to the heart, of the Prince of Darkness boys!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as T.R.A.C.I.E. punctures Prince of Darkness's tyre
Another charge from T.R.A.C.I.E. caught Prince of Darkness by the wedge and left-hand tyre, again causing more damage to the tyre, before T.R.A.C.I.E. shoved Prince of Darkness from the right-hand side, spearing the other tyre. This attack caused Prince of Darkness to tip slightly, with both robots now stuck together and open to attack from Sergeant Bash, Dead Metal and Matilda. Eventually, they separated, with T.R.A.C.I.E. ending up on a grille and Prince of Darkness crawling along the arena floor on its punctured tyres until 'cease' was called. Despite T.R.A.C.I.E. being technically immobilised, Prince of Darkness was still eliminated from the First Wars, much to the delight of Jeremy Clarkson.
|PRINCE OF DARKNESS - RESULTS|
|The First Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat F, Gauntlet||Completed (2nd)||Qualified|
|Heat F, Trial (Snooker)||6 Balls (1st)||Qualified|
|Heat F, Semi-Final||vs. T.R.A.C.I.E.||Lost|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|Series||Prince of Darkness Record|
|The First Wars||Heat, Arena Semi-Final|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
In addition to Prince of Darkness, team member Matthew Wilson also built an antweight called TriumphANT, which competed in the Antweight World Series with mixed success. Its best performance came in AWS 6, where it reached the Semi-Finals before losing to Anto 3.
- Prince of Darkness was the winner of the only ever Snooker Trial, doing so by potting six balls compared to one ball by Skarab.
- Prince of Darkness is the only robot to be completed during the main competition, having been repainted and fitted with spikes before its Semi-Final battle.
- Prince of Darkness was the first robot to have its tyres punctured by another robot's weapon.
- "Prince of Darkness" is a term used in John Milton's poem Paradise Lost referring to Satan as the embodiment of evil.
- ↑ http://freespace.virgin.net/oliver.steeples/enter.htm
- ↑ http://www.robotwars101.org/profile.php?class=Ant&id=82&name=TriumphANT