- "We're members of the cadet unit at Witney Fire Station, and we've got a magnificent robot called Oblark! Any of our opponents think they're gonna beat us, we're going to extinguish their hopes!"
- — Stan Launchbury's introduction
Oblark was a robot that was entered by the Oxfordshire Fire Service in the Forces Special of the first series of Robot Wars Extreme. It reached the second round of the special, before losing to Anvil after becoming immobilised.
The team included Rob Heasman from Jurassic Park and Stan Launchbury from Team Mousetrap. Launchbury was actually planning to enter his own Mousetrap 2 machine to the Forces Special to represent the Fire Service, but it was too damaged to fight after it sustained severe damage in its Series 5 battle against S3.
Oblark was a tall, two-wheeled, wedged box-shaped robot armed with a pneumatic axe and flipping arm, in a similar configuration to Mortis. The flipping arm proved very powerful and capable as a self-righting mechanism, although it was vulnerable to breaking off after a certain amount of uses. The robot was armoured in aluminium and driven by two 24V wheelchair motors that gave it a top speed of up to 18mph, but suffered from poor manoeuvrability. Oblark was painted silver with hazard stripes, flame motifs and L-plates over its bodywork - one of which made up the "L" in the robot's name - and a green Fire Exit sticker on its underside.
- "We're going to extinguish their hopes"
- — The warning sent by the Oblark team
Oblark fought Mega-Hurts of the Royal Navy and Rhino of the Army, and was nudged by Rhino at the start. Mega Hurts and Rhino became stuck, so Oblark tried lifting both opponents, before axing Mega-Hurts. By the time its two opponents were separate, Oblark tried reversing into Mega-Hurts, but Rhino ploughed into Oblark's side and pushed it. Oblark missed with its next blow, and its flipper appeared jammed open, but Rhino was no longer mobile, and Oblark axed it. The House Robots finished off Rhino, confirming Oblark's passage into Round Two, where it met Anvil of the RAF.
- "Team, go set the warzone on fire!"
- — Julia Reed
Oblark seemed slower at the start, barely moving forwards and it was axed by Shunt early on. The House Robot tipped Oblark over with his scoop, before Oblark landed on its front, flipping itself too far, attempting to self-right.
- "Send out the ladders, send out the hoses, and try and rescue the Fire Brigade's Oblark!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as Oblark self-rights
Shunt pushed Oblark, allowing it to land right-side-up. The Fire Brigade robot was then pushed into the wall by Anvil, and its axe was dangling over the wall, but it was freed by Refbot. Oblark was pinned against the wall a second time, and freed, but when it fired its own flipper, the weapon broke off entirely. Oblark was no longer able to move, and was flung by the Floor Flipper, before Sir Killalot placed the defeated robot over the flames, and then into the pit.
- "We had a little problem with the aerial, it got stuck inside the robot, it's got caught inside the robot, and we lost control."
- — Rob Heasman
|OBLARK - RESULTS|
|Extreme Series 1|
|Round 1||vs. Mega-Hurts, Rhino||Qualified|
- Wins: 1
- Losses: 1
|Main Series||Oblark Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars|| Entered with Steg-O-Saw-Us (Rob Heasman)|
Entered with Triterobot (Stan Launchbury)
|The Fourth Wars|| Entered with Steg 2 (Rob Heasman)|
Entered with Mousetrap (Stan Launchbury)
|The Fifth Wars||Entered with Mousetrap (Stan Launchbury)|
|The Sixth Wars||Failed to qualify with Mutant Mousetrap (Stan Launchbury)|
|The Seventh Wars||Entered with Black and Blue (Stan Launchbury)|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1|| Forces Special, Round 2|
Entered with Mousetrap (Stan Launchbury)
|Series 2||Did not enter|
- According to Claire Heasman (daughter of Rob Heasman), the name Oblark came from Rob, Nicola and Mark (Rob and his eldest two children). This name was created after Rob had left due to his children being young and he had to help his wife. This was similar to how Mike Lambert named his robot Dantomkia after his children.