Max Damage was a robot that competed exclusively in Series 3 of Robot Wars. In its only battle in the main competition, it lost to Agent Orange as it failed to move and was therefore immediately immobilised, due to the team not having inserted its removable link (therefore isolating the battery circuit) before the battle.
Max Damage was a green box-shaped robot with a head shaped like that of a Triceratops. It was armed with a chainsaw positioned just underneath the dinosaur's head, with two counter-rotating circular saw blades at the back. It was armoured in 6mm thick fibreglass, used car radiator coolers, and was powered by two wheelchair motors. The robot took one hundred days to build, and contained a lot of parts salvaged from dockland scrapyards.
- "The first robot ever built by the Cunningham family. Car radiator coolers and wheelchair motors used. The body shell's 6mm thick fiberglass. It took a hundred days to build, but what sort of damage can it inflict?"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Max Damage was drawn against Agent Orange in its first and only battle. It failed to start due to its removable link not being inserted before the battle. Having not moved at all, it was axed a few times by Agent Orange, who then proceeded to gradually push it towards the pit, at first having some trouble due to its rounded bodywork sliding off its claw.
- "It's Agent Orange doing all the pushing and shunting. You're going towards the pit, Max Damage. Max Damage?! Are you sure, a name like that? Minimum fuss, you're out. That's the most pathetic display we've seen on Robot Wars! Shambolic!"
- — Jonathan Pearce on Max Damage's poor performance
Eventually, within a minute of the battle starting, Agent Orange was able to push Max Damage head-first into the pit, eliminating it from the competition. Also, once Max Damage was in the pit, Dead Metal closed in and attacked it, cutting into its bodywork from the edge of the pit.
- "In comes Dead Metal to give them a little reminder that they were here. After all, they'll be home before the postcards. Let's be honest. A battle scar perhaps. A hundred days and nights it took them to build, Max Damage. Time wasted. Well I hope they've had some fun being here. They've been fun competitors. Oh. It looks as if they... At least they can see something funny about it all. "
- — Jonathan Pearce
|MAX DAMAGE - RESULTS|
|The Third Wars - UK Championship|
Heats, Round 1
|Heat C, Round 1||vs. Agent Orange||Lost|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|Series||Max Damage Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
- Although Daniel Cunningham was present in the team's introduction, he was not present in the control pod.
- In 2016, Australian news outlet "news.com.au" (owned by NewsCorp Australia) profiled the return of Robot Wars. Along with several UK champions, Max Damage (along with the Series 3 versions of Aggrobot and Diotoir) was singled out as one of Robot Wars' memorable and colourful designs.
- ↑ http://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/design/as-robot-wars-is-set-to-return-a-look-back-at-the-some-of-the-weirdest-moments-from-the-famed-original-series/news-story/6cbc3bfe28e38c1c0b28096d294a59c8