- "From the world of medieval jousting comes the motorised knight's helmet!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
The team later entered the more successful Splinter in Series 4, 5 and Extreme 1.
- "We watched it last year and decided to have a go. (Craig kept on at me until I gave in.)"
- — Stuart Weightman on entering Robot Wars
Ivanhoe was built from plastic, in the shape of a knight's helmet complete with visor, with a lance and a sharpened axe at the front, capable at chopping at one blow a second. It took 4 months to build, cost £250 and was driven by wheelchair motors.
- "Powered by two wheelchair motors. 2 x 12volt batteries. Axe was operated by a windscreen wiper motor. R/C equipment was Skysport 4 channel. Constructed mostly from junk in our garage."
- — The Ivanhoe website
Team Ivanhoe were notably the first robot team to discuss the concept of self-righting on the show, out of only three to do so in Series 2. They claimed Ivanhoe had the (then fairly exceptional) ability to be able to self right when flipped. Ivanhoe's curved body shape would theoretically roll it back onto its wheels when it got turned over, acting as a passive srimech. Team Captain Stuart Weightman demonstrated this design in the pits, although it became clear that Ivanhoe needed a small push to get back onto its wheels, or at least a strong enough flip to right it. Consequently, Ivanhoe's srimech failed to right it when it was flipped in the Heat Final, as G.B.H.'s flip was rather weak. The first UK robot to officially self right was Cassius, which did so in the Semi-finals of Series 2. It was narrowly over the Heavyweight limit at the time.
- "The body design was supposed to allow Ivan to roll back on to his wheels should he get tipped over. But, with last minute changes to lose weight and other modifications it didn`t quite work out how we expected. As seen on TV Ivanhoe was a tad top heavy and didn`t roll back on his wheels as he had been doing whilst we were building him. This will be rectified before the next show."
- — The Ivanhoe website
A second generation Ivanhoe called Ivanhoe 2 was built for Series 3, but failed to qualify.
- "Faster, and will be able to overcome the difficulties we experience last year: ie. Not rolling back onto its wheels as it should have and getting stuck on a side of a ramp."
- — The Ivanhoe team on their plans for Ivanhoe 2
In the Gauntlet, Ivanhoe showed good strength to break down the brick wall in one hit, but it got stuck on the ramp, but was accidentally nudged free by the House Robots. It outmanoeuvred the House Robots at the end and crossed the finishing line in the quickest time.
Ivanhoe weighed the maximum weight of 80 kilograms and had had the air let out of its tyres to give it maximum surface area for traction. Ivanhoe seemed to match Matilda until it was finally pulled in after 22 seconds. This was the second-best score in the Trial round.
In the Arena stage, it was drawn against Kill Dozer. Its opponent managed to lift Ivanhoe early into the fight but found itself unable to push or do anything else so were forced to let Ivanhoe go. Ivanhoe pushed Kill Dozer into the PPZ where it was set upon by Sir Killalot who dangled it over the flame pit and then dropped it into the pit.
Into the Heat Final against Team Joint Effort's G.B.H., Ivanhoe was quickly turned over by G.B.H.'s scoop. Ivanhoe was meant to roll back onto its wheels, but not enough momentum had been gained so it didn't roll, thus eliminating Ivanhoe from the competition. G.B.H. then pushed Ivanhoe into the pit as the show's credits rolled.
|IVANHOE - RESULTS|
|The Second Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat J, Gauntlet||Completed (1st)||Qualified|
|Heat J, Trial (Tug of War)||22.35 seconds (2nd)||Qualified|
|Heat J, Semi-Final||vs. Kill Dozer||Won|
|Heat J, Final||vs. G.B.H.||Lost|
- Wins: 1
- Losses: 1
|Main Series||Ivanhoe Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Heat Final|
|The Third Wars|| Failed to qualify as Ivanhoe 2|
Failed to qualify with Splinter
|The Fourth Wars||Entered with Splinter|
|The Fifth Wars||Entered with Splinter|
|The Sixth Wars||Failed to qualify with Splinter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Entered with Splinter|
|Series 2||Did not enter|