- "Take a look at this, because they'll be looking at you!"
- — Jonathan Pearce in Series 6
ICU was a robot that competed in Series 6 of Robot Wars, and the second series of Robot Wars Extreme. The name is a play on the phrase "I see you", given to the robot because it was decorated with several eyes, that often fell off in battle. ICU was defeated in the first round of Series 6, but reached its Heat Final in the New Blood Championship in Extreme Series 2, losing to the eventual champion Storm 2.
The ICU team were the brother, mother and father of Marlon Pritchard from the X-Terminator team.
The robot was a red box-wedge shape with a front lifting scoop and a pneumatic axe, assembled with the rolling chassis of the original X-Terminator machine from Series 3. As a result, it shares many similarities with the original X-Terminator, such as the angle at which the axe rests, and the robot's compact size. ICU was equipped with self-righting arms at the sides, but could not self-right from its top plate. It was armoured in aluminium and was four-wheel driven but its aerial proved vulnerable, falling off in battle.
ICU was originally named Robofox, it was decorated in brown fur and ears, but it failed to qualify for the Fifth Wars, despite defeating Chip in the qualifiers.
At the Series 6 qualifiers, ICU fought Barber-Ous 2 and Demolition Man. It was also scheduled to face Killer Carrot 2 in the same battle, although that robot would be removed from the melee. The result is unknown, but all three robots qualified.
- "Four-wheel driven, powerful, quickest in the heat, the axe is threatening, and the all-seeing eyes will miss nothing, I wish I could say the same about the driver. Are they experienced enough?"
- — Jonathan Pearce
- "Oh, a doddle!"
- — Judy Pritchard having been told the draw.
The battle started badly for ICU as The Alien immediately hit ICU, buckling its armour and sending some of the eyes across the arena floor (most landed on the flame pit).
- "ICU can see no longer!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as ICU loses its eyes
The Alien came back to attack ICU after hitting GBH 2, knocking it onto its back, and ICU was buckled again. However Sir Chromalot flipped The Alien over, but it self-righted. The rest of the battle consisted of the other robots flipping each other and self-righting, but ICU couldn't get its axe on target. ICU strayed too close to Shunt and was flipped onto its side, but self-righted easily. However, after this its axe remained in the down position. Sir Chromalot took full advantage of this and flipped ICU over, but this time, as the axe was down, ICU couldn't self-right and was counted out. Shunt then axed ICU's underside and ICU was flung by the floor flipper, before being pitted by Growler, eliminating it from the competition.
- Philippa Forrester: "Did you enjoy that?"
- Nick Pritchard: "Yeah, we came here to enjoy ourselves, and we've enjoyed ourselves."
- Philippa Forrester: "What was the worst bit, what was the best bit?"
- Nick Pritchard: "It was all good, really!"
- Philippa Forrester: "What would you do to improve your robot?"
- Nick Pritchard: "Probably scrap it and start again!"
- — Post-battle interview.
- "Not if we see you first!"
- — Jonathan Pearce as ICU enters the arena
ICU returned in Heat C of the New Blood Championship of Extreme Series 2 and faced Chopper and Mad Dog in the first round. The robots started by moving tentatively around the arena, with ICU being the fastest. ICU tried to use its axe on Mad Dog, but it couldn't get into the right position. Chopper had got its weapon up to speed and hit ICU, which caused some of ICU's eyes to fall off. Then Chopper strayed into the CPZ of Matilda and had its side armour and weapon buckled by Matilda's flywheel. It escaped and all three robots came together near the flame pit. ICU pushed the other two robots causing Mad Dog to go into a CPZ and become pinned by Sir Killalot. ICU then pushed Chopper onto the flame pit. Chopper escaped, but was still on fire. ICU then pressed the pit release and almost backed into the descending pit.
- "ICU is certainly the most impressive of the three."
- — Jonathan Pearce
Mad Dog seemed to have broken down and was pushed onto the floor flipper, before being counted out and eventually pushed down the pit.
In the next round, ICU faced Revolution 2. ICU rushed head on into the spinning blades of Revolution 2 and merely bounced off before pushing Revolution 2 into the arena wall. Revolution 2 looked like it had control problems as it kept driving into the walls, losing a cog in the process, ICU came back on the attack and used its axe, but failed to do damage. ICU axed Revolution 2 again and dragged it into a CPZ, where Revolution 2 stopped moving and was attacked by the House Robots. ICU then attacked Sergeant Bash, damaging his flamethrower. Meanwhile Revolution 2 was counted out and placed on the floor flipper. It was then pushed down the pit and ICU went through to the Heat Final where it met Storm 2.
- "The revolution has been quashed. Long live the King, the King is ICU!"
- — Craig Charles
Storm 2 was faster off the mark than ICU when the battle started and ICU's scoop provided no resistance what-so-ever as it went straight over the top of Storm 2, losing more of its eyes in the process. This attack also knocked the aerial antenna off ICU, leaving it with only its axe and self-righting arms working. Storm 2 pushed ICU onto the floor flipper and it was counted out. Mr. Psycho then hammered the immobile ICU. Growler then grabbed ICU's axe and held it while Mr. Psycho hammered ICU again. ICU was then flung by the floor flipper, just like in Series 6. Growler then put ICU underneath the Drop Zone where a variety of balls fell onto ICU.
- "Bet you didn't see that coming when you planned your Robot Wars campaign, did you? An ignominious end for ICU."
- — Jonathan Pearce as the balls are dropped on ICU
ICU was finally put out of its misery by being pushed down the pit by Growler, but that didn't stop Mr. Psycho hammering it one last time.
|ICU - RESULTS|
|The Sixth Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat D, Round 1||vs. GBH 2, Sir Chromalot, The Alien||Eliminated|
|Extreme Series 2|
|New Blood Championship|
|Heat C, Round 1||vs. Chopper, Mad Dog||Qualified|
|Heat C, Round 2||vs. Revolution 2||Won|
|Heat C, Final||vs. Storm 2||Lost|
- Wins: 2
- Losses: 2
|Main Series||ICU Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Failed to qualify as Robofox|
|The Sixth Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Did not enter|
|Series 2||New Blood Championship, Heat Final|
- ICU was one of eight competitors from The Sixth Wars to enter the New Blood Championship, alongside Doctor Fist, Mr Nasty, Revolution 2, Thor, Edge Hog, Cedric Slammer and Roobarb.
- Before ICU's first appearance on the show in Series 6, two of the team members appeared in the audience in Series 4, brandishing signs and wearing shirts in support of Team X-Terminator, who were about to fight against Behemoth in the Heat N Final.
- ↑ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt9_BZVTfuU&lc=z12qxjtr3sm4wh21122djzcxszmusje33.1494421169588433
- ↑