- Jayne Middlemiss: "This is Herbinator."
- Jeremy Cuss: "That's right."
- Jayne Middlemiss: "As in the Terminator"
- Jeremy Cuss: "And Herbie, the Volkswagen!"
- Jayne Middlemiss: "Ah, so it's a mix between Arnie and Herbie!"
- — The two inspirations for the robot's name
Herbinator was a robot that singularly competed in Series 7 of Robot Wars. It competed in Heat D of the main competition, but was eliminated fairly swiftly in the first round by Lightning. The team had previously attempted to enter the Sixth Wars, but failed to qualify.
Its name was a portmanteau of Herbie and the Terminator, and as suggested by the name, its paintjob was based on Herbie, the Love Bug.
Herbinator was a mostly white tall, box-wedge shaped robot, armoured in aluminium and armed with a flipping arm operated by 16 BANG pneumatic cylinders. The design however, coupled with two 750W electric motors meant that it had poor pushing power.
- Jayne Middlemiss: "How much could it lift, small child?"
- Herbinator team: "Oh, at least!"
- Jayne Middlemiss: "Small child and a cow at the same time?"
- Herbinator team: "Maybe an elephant!"
- — Tongue-in-cheek discussion of the flipper's power
After Herbinator had failed to qualify for Series 6, the team added roll-bars on the side made from welded aluminium construction which were designed to prevent the robot from falling onto its side or being side-stranded by competitors, the robot also featured static skirts to lower its ground clearance. However, the roll-bars failed to work when required to do so in its only battle.
The building process of Herbinator took 27 months, at a cost of £2000.
- "Newcomers to Robot Wars, Herbinator could face the deep sleep."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Herbinator enters the arena
Herbinator went up against the 7th seeds 13 Black, veterans The Alien and former Tag Team competitors Lightning, who was fighting alone for the first time, in its first round battle of the Seventh Wars. In the first few seconds of its eliminator, Herbinator slowly dodged the approaching Lightning as they charged towards 13 Black, but Herbinator was then was flipped onto its side by Lightning up against the arena side wall. Due to it being propped against the arena wall, Herbinator's side roll bars couldn't self-right it and could not use the flipper to jerk it from the sideways position. Refbot then counted out Herbinator, eliminating it from the competition.
- "I think their short life in Robot Wars is about to "cease", an ex-robot! ... A flipper flick will not keep you in Robot Wars, Herbinator, the idea is to move around, fight, rumble."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Refbot comes in to count out Herbinator, and as Herbinator vainly fires its flipper to try and self-right
After being fiercely axed, Herbinator was later self-righted by Shunt, and Herbinator then went to attack the recently immobilised The Alien, but it was far too late.
|HERBINATOR - RESULTS|
|The Seventh Wars - UK Championship|
Heats, Round 1
|Heat D, Round 1||vs. 13 Black (7), Lightning, The Alien||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Failed to qualify|
|The Seventh Wars||Heat, Round 1|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|