- "Violence has largely been eradicated from football, but tonight....we're going to put it back."
- — Jeremy Clarkson
Football was one of the Trial events that featured during the first and second series of Robot Wars as a robotic version of the popular sport. It was one of only two Trial events to feature in both series, the other being Sumo. The five robots would enter the arena together with the aim of pushing the ball into the goal which was defended by the house robots. After a robot scored it would be removed from the arena and the rest would be left to continue. The last robot left in the arena would be eliminated from the competition. If time ran out with robots still yet to score, the least active robot would be eliminated. In the first series the goalkeeper was Dead Metal and in the second series it was Sergeant Bash in one heat and Dead Metal in another with Sergeant Bash or Matilda added to the game as a defender.
- It is notable that during the Trial of Heat C of the First Wars, Dead Metal had been adapted to be without its circular saw, the arm now possessing a large ball used for steering the ball away.
- Robot Wars: The First Wars/Heat C
- Robot Wars: The Second Wars/Heat D
- Robot Wars: The Second Wars/Heat H
- Football returned as a side competition in The Third Wars. Dead Metal was back in goal with Matilda defending, and the winner in each round was the first robot to score. The final finished with no score, but Evil Weevil was named as the winner by the judges having been the most active competitor.
- Football also features as one of the Battle Types for the video game Robot Wars: Extreme Destruction.