The second Fighting Torque, also known as Hippobotamus
|UK Series||5, Extreme 1|
|Other Names|| Hippobotamus|
|Team Members|| Richie McBride|
|Dimensions||0.42m x 1.75m x 0.83m|
|Power||2 x 750V electric motors|
|Weapons||10kg spinning disc on crushing arm & lifting head|
Robot statistics correct as of its most recent appearance on the show
Fighting Torque was the name given to two separate robots entered by Team Torque in Extreme Series 1. The original design was a pyramid-shaped robot wearing a kilt with a spinning disc on a crushing arm as its weapon. It competed in the Mayhem but was soundly defeated by Atomic 2. However, Atomic's withdrawal allowed Fighting Torque to re-enter the competition, but the team entered its Series 5 robot under the same name in the Annihilator. This robot was in the shape of a yellow hippopotamus and retained the cutting disc weaponry of the original robot but was much less hardy. It was made mostly from salvaged parts; its shell was a plastic hippo sand pit, and its wheels came off a skateboard. This robot had a 2cm ground clearance and looked quite fragile, and performed poorly, losing in the first round of the Annihilator.
The team also entered the second version of the robot in Series 5, under its originally intended name of Hippobotamus, taken from the robot's obvious resemblance to a hippopotamus. The robot fared just as poorly in this series as it had in the Annihilator, losing in the first round to Stinger.
Its name was a pun on fighting talk.
Fighting Torque entered a Mayhem battle in the first series of Extreme. It was drawn against Atomic 2 and Mousetrap 2. Atomic dominated the fight, it immediately flipped Mousetrap a few times and then flipped Fighting Torque. Atomic flipped both robots around the arena repeatedly. Mousetrap couldn't self-right and so was counted out, whilst Fighting Torque still tried to attack Atomic. Fighting Torque was flipped again, counted out and placed on the arena floor flipper. Fighting Torque was sprung up in the air and landed on its wheels, but was flipped again and left to burn on the flame pit.
Due to Atomic taking tremendous damage from Hypno-Disc in its Heat in Series 5, it was forced to withdraw from the Annihilator and Fighting Torque was reinstated. However the team used their Series 5 robot, Hippobotamus, renamed Fighting Torque. The first round started brutally with all the robots charging into to each other. Fighting Torque sustained damage to its top armour. Napalm had been bashed and picked up by Sir Killalot. Disc-O-Inferno then ripped Fighting Torque to pieces and Fighting Torque was counted out.
- "Hippobotamus, made out of a child's sandpit essentially, but this is Robot Wars, and we've seen giant upsets in the past"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Hippobotamus fought against fifth seeds Stinger in its opening battle. Its plastic armour was no match for Stinger's powerful mace, which pounded Hippobotomus repeatedly until the Hippo's plastic construction fell apart. Dead Metal then sliced through Hippobotamus' cover, but the fight went to the judges after Stinger drove into a CPZ; Stinger went through. After the fight, Ellen McBride was very distraught about the grievous amount of damage caused to her team's robot. The crowd booed Team Stinger for making a little girl cry, so they made it up to her by giving her a cardboard prototype of Stinger's weapon, which the distraught Ellie used to prod Team Stinger.
- Craig Charles: "You're (Stinger) seeded 5, which is a very high seeding, and, to be seeded 5 and then nearly come unstuck, by a children's sandpit"
- Tim Mann: "It's a bloody good sandpit."
- Craig Charles: "It's not a bad sandpit is it?"
- — Team Stinger on Hippobotamus in the post match interview
|FIGHTING TORQUE - RESULTS|
|Extreme Series 1|
|Mayhem & Annihilator|
Sixth in Second Annihilator
|Mayhem||vs. Atomic, Mousetrap||Lost|
|NOTE: Atomic was forced to drop out of the Annihilator, and Fighting Torque was reinstated.|
|HIPPOBOTAMUS - RESULTS|
|Extreme Series 1|
|Annihilator 1, Round 1||vs. Panic Attack, Napalm 2, Spirit of Knightmare,|
The Steel Avenger, Disc-O-Inferno
|NOTE: For the Annihilator, the team entered Hippobotamus under the name Fighting Torque.|
|The Fifth Wars - UK Championship|
Heat, Round 1
|Heat C, Eliminator||vs. Stinger (5)||Lost|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 3
- Series 1: Did not enter
- Series 2-3: Entered with All Torque
- Series 4: Entered with Small Torque
- Series 5: Heat, Round 1 and entered with Bot Out Of Hell
- Series 6-7: Did not enter
- Fighting Torque is one of only eight robots to début in Extreme 1 and to fight in one of the main competitions. The others were 3 Stegs to Heaven, Axe Awe, Comengetorix, Fluffy, NEAT Machine, Spawn Again and Sub-Version. However, its début was in a different model and name to the robot that fought in Series 5.
- Fighting Torque was the tallest competitor in Extreme at 1.75m, taller even than Sir Chromalot in Series 4.