- "The robot name came from two of the team’s biggest passions, the cartoon series Wacky Races, and director Quentin Tarantino. Creepy Coupe is a car from Wacky Races, whilst Crazy 88 are a gang from Tarantino film Kill Bill. Captain, Tyrone, has been fighting robots at amateur events for 15 years, and sees it as a good way to get some quality father/son time with son Finn and stepson Dan."
- — The official Robot Wars website
Crazy Coupe 88 was a heavyweight robot which competed in Series 8 of Robot Wars, built by a Barnsley-based team. It lost its Group Battle after being flipped by Beast and being attacked and immobilised by Dead Metal.
The robot's name is based on the Wacky Races cartoon, and the Kill Bill film series - 'Coupe' comes from the Creepy Coupe car in Wacky Races, while the Crazy 88 gang in Kill Bill determined the remainder of the name.
- "A two wheeled robot with twin rotating weapons – including a 17 inch horizontal spinner which rotates at 2450rpm and a rear vertical spinner which can also act as a lifter. The robot is fully invertible and so can work upside down. The team think having a weapon at both end of the robot will give it an advantage in fights. Its drive system features two scooter motors."
- — The official Robot Wars website
Crazy Coupe 88 was an invertible robot, and was constructed from 3mm aluminium checker plate, over Kevlar/Carbon-Fibre under-armour. It featured a different spinning weapon at each end. At the front of the robot is a 17-inch horizontal bar spinner, which rotates at 2450RPM. The back end of the robot was covered by a vertical disc, which was tipped with elongated blades, in order to try and use the disc as a lifter. However, its wheels were highly exposed.
- Dara Ó Briain: "Some of these robots look so polished... beautifully machined, and then you find one that looks like it really was built in somebody's shed. Was this built in a shed?"
- Tyrone Ellis: "Definitely built in a shed!"
- — Dara Ó Briain on the robot's design
Crazy Coupe 88 appeared in Heat 5, where it faced Beast, Gabriel and Infernal Contraption in its first round melee. However, it entered at an immediate disadvantage, as its 200amp gearbox had been erroneously rated at 50amps when it entered the arena.
It managed to attack the plastic wheels of Gabriel on its first attack, but after being unable to catch its opponents, Crazy Coupe 88 was thrown over by Beast. After this, it drove straight into the clutches of Dead Metal, which slammed it into the arena wall and cut in with its saw. Crazy Coupe 88 was instantly immobilised by this House Robot attack, and was eliminated from the competition, suffering an extra attack from Dead Metal while being counted out.
|CRAZY COUPE 88 - RESULTS|
|Series 8 - UK Championship|
|Heat 5, Group Battle||vs. Beast, Gabriel, Infernal Contraption||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|Series||Crazy Coupe 88 Series Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Failed to qualify with ISM|
|The Fifth Wars||Failed to qualify with X box|
|The Sixth Wars||Failed to qualify with Bigfish|
|The Seventh Wars||Entered with Hodaf The Bad|
|Series 8||Heat, Round 1|
|Series 9||Not selected with Iron Heart 88|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
Outside Robot WarsEdit
Crazy Coupe 88 was retired immediately after its appearance on Robot Wars, and was directly replaced by Iron Heart 88.
After building Iron Heart 88, Tyrone Ellis also built Wardog, an invertible robot which weighed 99kg, and its spinning bar could reach top speeds of 190mph. However, the continued ban on spinning weapons at live events meant that Tyrone Ellis could not use the robot until he had already decided to sell the robot to Team ULL, who rebranded the robot as Dead Bod. Tyrone Ellis has also started building a new pneumatic flipper named Rusty Old Spoon.
- According to the Robot Wars website, builder Tyrone Ellis has worked on robots while wearing a Star Wars Stormtrooper outfit.
- Of the three robots to appear on the show that came from South Yorkshire, Crazy Coupe 88 was the third of the three from Barnsley, and the third to lose its only battle.