- "Who can stopper, the whopper, that is Chopper?"
- — Jonathan Pearce fancying Chopper's chances.
Chopper was a robot that exclusively fought in the New Blood Championship of the second series of Robot Wars Extreme, entered by a team of pilots, hence the robot's helicopter inspiration and name. It reached the second round of its heat, before losing to eventual New Blood and future World Champions Storm 2.
Chopper had also originally entered Series 6, but failed to qualify for that series.
- "Before we started any design work we decided on the criteria that we felt would make a good robot. These were: Low profile - We felt this would give us a number of advantages: Low centre of gravity making it harder for others to flip us and it would position our weapon where we felt it would do the most damage. Rotary weapon - From what we have seen watching hours of Robot wars, it was clear to us that rotary weapons were more exciting (we were getting a bit fed up with standard wedges and flippers) and very destructive. Drive & Control - Chopper's wheels are driven by two Bosche 750w motors. Each motor is controlled by its own 4QD speed controller. The controllers are in turn controlled by a Delbots mixer board. This has proved to be a reliable and rugged combination."
- — Robots Revenge website on the design of Chopper
Chopper was a red, octagonal-shaped robot armed with a 1000rpm spinning bar resembling a helicopter rotor blade. It had a steel frame with two layers of amour - a bulletproof polycarbonate top layer and an aluminium bottom layer - and could travel at up to 21mph.
- "We have used a wide range of materials in the construction of Chopper. The frame is made of 1 mm wall 20 mm x 20 mm mild steel square tube. The central body is made from 5 mm aluminium. The body armour is made from 10 mm thick sheets of Polycarbonate. The wheels are made from 6 inch diametre billets of solid aluminium with a one inch tread made from vulcanised rubber tube."
- — Robots Revenge website on the materials used to build Chopper
However, the weapon was ineffective and fragile, and the robot had no self-righting mechanism, which cost it against Storm 2.
In Round 1, Chopper fought against former Series 6 competitor ICU and fellow newcomer Mad Dog. It started slowly as ICU attacked Mad Dog first, before having its spinning blade knocked out of alignment by Matilda, rendering it useless. Chopper then drove onto the Flame Pit, but despite appearing to be immobilised, it escaped. ICU pushed Mad Dog into the arena wall, where Mad Dog stopped moving and was counted out, sustaining damage from Sir Killalot and Matilda as the battle ended. Chopper went through alongside ICU.
- "Well, Chopper came out, I think with one plan in mind...Let's just get mullered! Let's get absolutely massacred, let's do our very, very worst!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
Chopper was drawn against Storm 2 in the second round. It did not last long, as Storm 2 rammed Chopper into the wall inside a CPZ, the force of the impact flipping Chopper over onto its back. With no self-righting mechanism, Chopper was counted out by Refbot, before Shunt dragged Chopper with its axe over to the Floor Flipper. Rather than being thrown forward, Chopper was thrown airborne and landed back onto the flipper, but was hurled across the arena after Shunt repositioned it for a second flip. Chopper was left on the Flame Pit before finally being pitted by Shunt.
- "In underneath Chopper, very little ground clearance, and it didn't matter, they're over! They've turned turtle!"
- — Jonathan Pearce
|CHOPPER - RESULTS|
|Extreme Series 2|
|New Blood Championship|
Heat, Round 2
|Heat C, Round 1||vs. ICU, Mad Dog||Qualified|
|Heat C, Round 2||vs. Storm 2||Lost|
- Wins: 1
- Losses: 1
|Main Series||Chopper Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Failed to qualify|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Did not enter|