- "Warning Danny Boy, this is no toy!"
- — Jonathan Pearce introducing Broadsword
Broadsword was a middleweight robot that competed in the Middleweight Championship of the second series of Robot Wars Extreme. It lost its first round battle to Typhoon and Steel Sandwich, and did not return for any other series.
The team later planned to enter the Series 7 Middleweight Championship with a robot called Voodoo Child. It was described as looking flimsier than Broadsword and rife with exposed wires. It did not make it into the arena, likely due to the reliability issues caused by its design.
- "Rather than being useless, it was virtually indestructible against even Typhoon. Add to that the problem that our ground clearance was so high that Typhoon's cutters passed harmlessly underneath"
- — Captain Julian Richards, explaining the advantages of Broadsword's design.
Broadsword was a circular, invertible robot with two wheels and armed with an unusual medieval sword blade as its weapon. Although simplistic in its design, the team claimed that the robot was optimised in order to withstand Typhoon's blows, featuring a high ground clearance to prevent its cutters from reaching the body. However, Broadsword suffered from exposed wheels, a weapon which could easily be damaged, and reliability problems which cost it in its only battle.
Broadsword began by attacking the back of Steel Sandwich ineffectively. Then it turned its attention to Typhoon, but again had no effect. While Malc 1.5 grappled with the House Robots and the other competitors grappled with each other, Broadsword appeared to have broken down, and Dead Metal took it into its CPZ, where both it and Shunt attacked Broadsword, bending the sword up 90 degrees. Shunt then flipped Broadsword onto the angle grinder and ripped off the top armour panel. Just after cease was called, Dead Metal pulled out all of Broadsword's components.
- " What you didn't see, but the audience did, was a long fight between Broadsword and Typhoon where we used our speed to ram. This stopped when I mistimed the charge and our wheel hit the cutters. We came to a halt and then all the damage was done by the house robots, especially Shunt who took us into the side rail. Why didn't you see this? The RW people thought it better that you saw Malc minus one wheel go round and round in circles. Having bad mouthed us in the interviews, Typhoon's driver Gary admitted that he had been worried by our performance. I don't think that Typhoon had a stronger opponent in its three years of winning the middleweight championship in terming of fighting if not in engineering."
- — Captain Julian Richards' take on the fight
|BROADSWORD - RESULTS|
|Heat A||vs. Typhoon, Steel Sandwich, Malc 1.5||Eliminated|
- Wins: 0
- Losses: 1
|Main Series||Broadsword Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Failed to qualify for Middleweight Championship with Voodoo Child|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 1||Did not enter|
|Series 2||Middleweight Championship, Round 1|