- "On the way out of the arena one of the crew commented on Barry's name saying that it is probably the meanest robot with the weakest name. That was the whole point."
- — Daniel Parry
Barry was a superheavyweight robot and Team Power's entry for the first series of Robot Wars. It did not enjoy great success there, being eliminated in the Gauntlet stage after getting stuck on the arena hazards and being attacked by the House Robots.
Due to the limited budget available, it was decided to concentrate all effort, cash and weight allowance into motive force and have the minimal amount of weapons. Barry therefore comprised basically of two batteries, two speed controllers, two gear boxes and two pneumatic tyres. It was armed with a spring suspended, bulldozer inspired plough and, at nearly 117 kg, it was easily the heaviest competitor robot in any of the main series, barring walking machines. However, this didn't save it after getting stuck in the Gauntlet, first on the grille, then on the ramp.
Barry came off the turn-table at the start of Gauntlet and began to drive forward trying to get around the corner towards the house robots. The house robots Sergeant Bash and Dead Metal came out to meet it and blocked its path, pushing it onto the lighting grille. Barry was stuck and unable to move. The house robots then came in to attack, Matilda used her chain-saw and some very impressive sparks flew, resulting in very little damage, but Barry was still stuck.
- "We couldn't do anything. We had had our one and only chance and blown it big time."
- — Regret of Team Power
The team remained optimistic that Grunt, who was driven by the son of judge Eric Dickinson and owned by the producers, would go out, but Grunt completed the Gauntlet, securing Barry's defeat. In a last cruel gesture, Team Power stuck around to watch the Sumo, which they felt Barry was ideal for, and watched Grunt forfeit its place in a suicidal leap from the podium straight away.
- "We were kicking ourselves. It would have been easy for Barry; no problem. When it came to Grunt's turn (watch out for this on TV) he drove straight off the edge. Why couldn't he have fallen in the Gauntlet so at least we would have been given the chance to show up the house robot, Shunt?"
- — Daniel Parry on the website
|BARRY - RESULTS|
|The First Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat A, Gauntlet||2.93m (6th)||Eliminated|
|The First Wars||Heat, Gauntlet|
|The Second Wars||Failed to qualify with Gnasher|
|The Third Wars||Entered with Sonic|
|The Fourth Wars|| Failed to qualify with Blur|
Withdrew from qualifiers with Tecumseh
|The Fifth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
- Barry was the only Super Heavyweight to compete in the main competition.
- Barry was the first competitor to be equipped with a lifting scoop.
- Barry is one of 20 robots never to fight in robot combat, having only ever been in the Gauntlet or Trial.
- Barry was the first ever robot to be eliminated in the competition.
- Barry's motors and wheels were later installed into Sonic, and the hubs by the wheels would later be used as part of the weaponry of Tecumseh.
- When Barry reached the set, it took a huge chunk out of the doors on several occasions, requiring a carpenter to mend. It was learnt that radio frequency was causing the problems, but when a crew member attempted to mend the problem, Barry activated and bowled him over, causing him to slice open his arm on the scoop blade of Barry. Fortunately, he was not badly hurt.