Axe-Awe was the second heavyweight robot from Team Iron-Awe, which competed in Series 5 of Robot Wars and the first series of Robot Wars Extreme. It reached the second round in Series 5 before being spectacularly thrown out of the arena by Wheely Big Cheese, while in Extreme 1, it fought in a Wild Card Warrior battle against Panic Attack, which it lost.
Following its Robot Wars appearances, Axe-Awe was replaced by Iron-Awe 2, but was kept in operable condition for charity events.
- "We have decided to keep Axe-Awe as a running robot for use on the charity event circuit..."
- — Robert Grimm
- "The decision was taken fairly early on to incorporate a flipper into the design so we could take on those robots that weren’t especially vulnerable to an axe..."
- — Iron-Awe website
Axe-Awe was a red, barrel-shaped robot armed with a full pressure rear-hinged flipper and a rapid-firing spiked axe, the latter of which could be used for self-righting. The robot was mostly made out of packaging machinery parts, with its twin-skinned aluminium base being a shortened version of that used for its predecessor, Iron-Awe. Axe-Awe initially began as a conversion of Iron-Awe, and adopted the latter's motors and speed controllers, giving it a top speed of 8mph. While its weapons were powerful and reasonably effective, the robot had a large turning circle and a high ground clearance, which left it especially vulnerable to lifting and flipping weapons.
Axe-Awe made its only Robot Wars Extreme appearance in a Wild Card Warrior battle, where it fought Series 2 champion Panic Attack. As the battle began, it initially approached Panic Attack and spun round, before continuously dodging, bumping and missing it with its axe. Axe-Awe tried to flip Panic Attack as the latter pushed it near the Flame Pit, but missed, and axed Panic Attack as it came in for another charge, using its flipper to buckle one of Panic Attack's side skirts in the process.
Eventually, Panic Attack lifted Axe-Awe up with its forks and rolled it over, only for Axe-Awe to self-right quickly. Axe-Awe spun round again, which allowed Panic Attack to ram it against the wall and lift it again. This time, Panic Attack held Axe-Awe in its forks before carrying it across the arena towards the pit release button. Axe-Awe remained helpless as Panic Attack backed into the button and pushed it into the pit, ultimately losing the Wild Card Warrior battle as a result.
- "We're here to kick axe."
- — Robert Grimm
Axe-Awe would later compete in Series 5, appearing in Heat H. In its first-round battle, it fought Granny's Revenge. It approached Granny's Revenge before spinning round the arena and reversing into it, seemingly unable to get its axe into position.
- "Axe-Awe... doesn't know what to do. Err, well you've got to be cruel to be kind sometimes, Axe-Awe..."
- — Jonathan Pearce as Axe-Awe struggles to attack Granny's Revenge
More bumping and spinning ensued before Axe-Awe pushed Granny's Revenge back towards Sergeant Bash's CPZ, where Granny's Revenge was set alight. Axe-Awe finally axed the flaming Granny's Revenge as the pit descended, before bumping it and allowing it to be pitted by Refbot. However, Axe-Awe eventually pushed Refbot into the pit as well after he got stuck on the edge, and went through to the second round.
There, it faced the tenth seed, and fellow Langport machine, Wheely Big Cheese. It spun round and axed Wheely Big Cheese's flipper, only for Wheely Big Cheese to get underneath it and throw it fifteen feet into the air. Axe-Awe landed outside the arena wall, and was eliminated from the Fifth Wars after this spectacular and record-breaking flip from Wheely Big Cheese.
- "Out of the arena, out of the Robot Wars galaxy!"
- — Jonathan Pearce after Axe-Awe is launched out of the arena
|AXE-AWE - RESULTS|
|Extreme Series 1|
Wild Card Warriors
|Wild Card Warriors||vs. Panic Attack||Lost|
|The Fifth Wars - UK Championship|
|Heat H, Eliminator||vs. Granny's Revenge||Won|
|Heat H, Semi-Final||vs. Wheely Big Cheese (10)||Lost|
- Wins: 1
- Losses: 2
|Main Series||Axe-Awe Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Did not enter|
|The Fourth Wars||Entered with Iron-Awe|
|The Fifth Wars||Heat, Round 2|
|The Sixth Wars||Entered with Iron-Awe 2|
|The Seventh Wars||Entered with Iron-Awe 2.1|
|Series 8||Not selected with Iron-Awe 5 and Iron-Awe 7|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 2||Entered with Iron-Awe 2|
Robot Wars Live EventsEdit
Although Axe-Awe made a small handful of combat appearances in 2014, Axe-Awe is primarily a static display at Robot Wars live events, alongside its successor, Iron-Awe 2.1.
- Axe-Awe is one of only nine robots to make its televised début in Extreme 1 and to fight in one of the main competitions. The others were 3 Stegs to Heaven, Comengetorix, Fighting Torque, Fluffy, NEAT Machine, Spawn Again, Sub-Version and The Executioner.
- In addition, it is the only one of the six Wild Card Warriors newcomers to ever win a televised battle, and one of only three to appear in one of the main competitions
- Axe-Awe was the last heavyweight to make its début in the first series of Extreme.