- "Lean, mean and green..."
- — Robot Wars: The Ultimate Guide
3 Stegs to Heaven was a heavyweight robot that competed in Series 5 of Robot Wars and the first series of Robot Wars Extreme. It reached the Heat Final in Series 5, but lost its only battle in Extreme, an All-Stars match against Tornado, which necessitated modifications to its design before it entered Series 5.
3 Stegs to Heaven was a radical departure from its predecessors, being a two-wheeled, invertible robot painted green and armed with a small vertical cutting weapon at the front. In its original appearance in Extreme 1, the weapon was a double-ended spinning bar, while the robot's wheels were exposed and the top panel decorated with red Stegosaurus-like spikes on its top, which along with its colour scheme paid homage to its original predecessor Steg-O-Saw-Us. At the time, 3 Stegs to Heaven only weighed 72kg.
The concept behind 3 Stegs to Heaven was to build the robot small enough in order to be fast and have a nimble turning circle. However, it was untested prior to Extreme 1, and suffered from exposed wheels and numerous other problems that lead to its defeat against Tornado, which compelled the team to redesign it ahead of its Series 5 appearance:
- "At the Robot Wars Extreme Event we noticed a few flaws in the design:
The Wheels - They were too exposed. We have not had this problem before as the wheels were on the inside on the previous Robots, but on this Robot they are on the outside.
The Weapon - although it can put holes in other Robots, it didn't give total destruction like we hoped.
Speed Controllers - We had a problem with the speed controllers, which made the robot lose control. The speed controllers have always been matched to their motors and should not have been adjusted! (Was it a freak accident or was it foul play???)
Finally we still have 28 kilo's to play with."
- — Team Website
In Series 5, 3 Stegs to Heaven's wheels were enclosed with additional armour mounted on the sides and rear of the robot, while its blade was replaced with a larger and thicker cutting disc. However, it retained the same basic design, colour scheme and Stegosaurus spikes as it carried in Extreme 1. While the new cutting disc was fairly effective in causing damage to other opponents, 3 Stegs to Heaven was still vulnerable to being flipped, which contributed to it Series 5 defeat against Bigger Brother.
Its name was a pun on the phrase three steps to heaven, and also referred to the fact that it was the third in the Steg series of robots, after Series 3 Grand Finalist Steg-O-Saw-Us and Series 4 Semi-Finalist Steg 2. The robot's name came from a competition held in the original Robot Wars Magazine, as the Jurassic Park team did not want to simply call it "Steg 3". The winning name, spelt as 3 Stegs 2 Heaven in the magazine, was coined by a seven-year-old boy known as Mark Coucher. 3 Stegs to Heaven was built after a split in the team saw Steg 2 taken by team member Rob Heasman after Series 4.
- "3 STEGS 2 HEAVEN is getting a little make-over for the SIXTH WARS.
We will use the same Robot but with a lot of modification, and the robot's name in the next series will be Steg 3. That's assuming we qualify!"
- — Team Website
3 Stegs to Heaven was going to be rebuilt for the Sixth Wars and named Steg 3. However, it is unknown if it attempted to qualify.
- "They're like all tornadoes, they're just hot air"
- — Peter Rowe
3 Stegs to Heaven was also due to compete in a Mayhem battle, in an attempt to qualify for one of the two Annihilators. However, the team withdrew from the Mayhem to concentrate on modifying the robot for Series 5.
- "They're back with 3 Stegs to Heaven... I didn't see anything wrong with the old one, myself!"
- — Philippa Forrester
3 Stegs to Heaven, seeded number 8, attacked the walkerbot Eleven in the first round, cutting the hydraulic pipe of Eleven, causing fluid to leak. However, 3 Stegs to Heaven got caught on a cable, causing it to become stuck to Eleven. With neither robot able to move well, Refbot counted both machines out and gave the decision to the judges, who chose 3 Stegs To Heaven.
- Craig Charles: "Were you finding it difficult to get friction on the floor there?"
- Jurassic Park: "Yeah, especially once the hydraulic hose went."
- — The team comment on their lack of movement
It moved on to fight Tetanus in the second round of the Heat, where 3 Stegs to Heaven had another scare as Tetanus easily pushed the seeded machine into the side grinders while 3 Stegs to Heaven was unable to damage Tetanus or push back. Eventually, 3 Stegs to Heaven sliced off one of Tetanus' prongs, but Tetanus lifted 3 Stegs to Heaven off the ground in retaliation. However, once it was released 3 Stegs to Heaven pulled away, only moving on one side, but Tetanus had been fully immobilised after bending its own frame. The barely mobile 3 Stegs to Heaven qualified for the Heat Final.
- "3 Stegs get a very lucky break! Into the next round by the skin of their teeth!"
- — Craig Charles
- "We lost drive to our wheel again, that was it!"
- — Jurassic Park
|3 STEGS TO HEAVEN - RESULTS|
|Round 1||vs. Tornado||Lost|
|The Fifth Wars - UK Championship|
8th Seed, Heat Final
|Heat I, Eliminator||vs. Eleven||Won|
|Heat I, Semi-Final||vs. Tetanus||Won|
|Heat I, Final||vs. Bigger Brother||Lost|
- Wins: 2
- Losses: 2
|Main Series||3 Stegs to Heaven Record|
|The First Wars||Did not enter|
|The Second Wars||Did not enter|
|The Third Wars||Entered with Steg-O-Saw-Us|
|The Fourth Wars||Entered with Steg 2|
|The Fifth Wars||Heat Final|
|The Sixth Wars||Did not enter|
|The Seventh Wars||Did not enter|
|Series 8||Did not enter|
|Series 9||Did not enter|
|Series 10||Did not enter|
|Robot Wars Extreme||Appearances|
|Series 2||Did not enter|
NOTE: Former team member Rob Heasman took part in Extreme Series 1 with Oblark
- 3 Stegs to Heaven and Gemini are the only non-semi finalists to come from a team with a previous record of consecutive semi-finals. Coincidently, both of these robots were the number 8 seed in their first loss, after reaching the heat final.
- Although listed as weighing 96kg during Extreme 1, 3 Stegs to Heaven actually weighed a mere 72kg.
- 3 Stegs to Heaven is one of only eight robots to debut in Extreme 1 and to fight in one of the main competition. The others were Axe-Awe, Comengetorix, Fighting Torque, Fluffy, NEAT Machine, Spawn Again, Sub-Version and The Executioner.
- 3 Stegs to Heaven was the only robot from Team Steg-O-Saw-Us which had a front mounted weapon. It was also the first robot from Team Steg-O-Saw-Us which had a blade instead of a flipper.